Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #91
MH_robo

Okay, so i asked someone to connect to my server, he says it tells him "Connection failed after 10 retries."
Yet i can connect to the server just fine
EDIT: I looked at your first post on page 6, and i disabled that setting, will it change anything?

Last edited by MH_robo: 12-21-2011 at 11:04 AM.
MH_robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #92
crash2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH_robo View Post
Okay, so i asked someone to connect to my server, he says it tells him "Connection failed after 10 retries."
Yet i can connect to the server just fine
EDIT: I looked at your first post on page 6, and i disabled that setting, will it change anything?
In your case, I don't think that setting will change anything as far as others being able to connect or not. Connection failed... Can you describe your setup? I mean, your dedicated server. It's run on a separate computer than the one you play on right? Is the server connected to your lan? If so, how is it connected? Through a router? Has the router ports been opened properly? You can go to http://portforward.com/ and find your router. Is there a firewall installed on the server? If so, make sure it is configured to allow access. You can also try disabling it temporarily to test if others can connect. Anti-virus? If there is an antivirus program installed, same thing with the firewall. Try disabling to see if others can connect.

With a sever on your lan and you being able to connect does not mean the firewall, router or antivirus isn't blocking connections. If those things are all okay, then the next step is to look over the server.cfg for errors. Another possibility is your isp could be blocking the default port the game uses for incoming connections.
crash2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #93
MH_robo

It's run on a separate computer than the one you play on right?
No, it's run on the same computer i play on, is that bad?

Is the server connected to your lan? If so, how is it connected? Through a router?
What do you mean, connected to my lan? (sorry, i only know so much about computers )

Has the router ports been opened properly?
Yes, i have opened all ports.

Is there a firewall installed on the server?
No, i disabled my firewall.

Anti-virus?
I'm going to try to add the server to exceptions.

Also, here's my server.cfg

Code:
hostname "Pixel's Survival"
rcon_password "---"
sv_search_key pixelsurv
//sv_password "password" // Password protects server
sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0
hostfile "my_host.txt" //create custom hostfile else the 
//file will be overwritten after every update

mp_disable_autokick 1
sv_alltalk 0
sv_consistency 1
sv_contact "---"
sv_voiceenable 1
sv_region 255 //sets region to all areas
sv_log_onefile 0
sv_logbans 1
sv_lan 0
sv_pure "1"
sv_cheats "0"

sv_gametypes "survival" //sets gametypes
//sv_unlag 1
//sv_maxunlag .5 

//setmaster add 68.142.72.250:27011
//setmaster add 72.165.61.189:27011

sv_steamgroup "3483" //this is your group's steam group id. This option works with or without the quotes.
//sv_steamgroup_exclusive 1 //to make it exclusive and private
Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #94
crash2004

Quote:
No, it's run on the same computer i play on, is that bad?
If your system is powerful enough then you can technically run it that way but it certainly isn't recommended partly because of the resources needed but also because connections to it don't work the same way.

Quote:
What do you mean, connected to my lan? (sorry, i only know so much about computers )
What I meant there is, is your server connected to your network. Since you said it's on the same computer, that question can be disregarded.

Quote:
Also, here's my server.cfg

hostname "Pixel's Survival"
rcon_password "---"
sv_search_key pixelsurv
//sv_password "password" // Password protects server
sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0
hostfile "my_host.txt" //create custom hostfile else the
//file will be overwritten after every update

mp_disable_autokick 1
sv_alltalk 0
sv_consistency 1
sv_contact "---"
sv_voiceenable 1
sv_region 255 //sets region to all areas
sv_log_onefile 0
sv_logbans 1
sv_lan 0
sv_pure "1"
sv_cheats "0"

sv_gametypes "survival" //sets gametypes
//sv_unlag 1
//sv_maxunlag .5

//setmaster add 68.142.72.250:27011
//setmaster add 72.165.61.189:27011

sv_steamgroup "3483" //this is your group's steam group id. This option works with or without the quotes.
//sv_steamgroup_exclusive 1 //to make it exclusive and private
The config looks fine except the sv_gametypes. Setting sv_gametypes is sort of redundant but not in all cases. In your case, it looks like you only want survival mode running. In that sense it's fine to specify it in the server.cfg.

The next thing to check is the shortcut parameters. What do you have in your shortcut for launching the server? There is also the possibility of that port being blocked by your ISP. To test that, you can try specifying a higher port in your shortcut line. Just remember to open the corresponding port in the router.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #95
MH_robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2004 View Post
What do you have in your shortcut for launching the server?
-console -game left4dead2 -maxplayers 4 +sv_lan 0 +map c2m4_barns -secure +mp_gamemode survival +sv_gametypes survival
Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #96
crash2004

Quote:
-console -game left4dead2 -maxplayers 4 +sv_lan 0 +map c2m4_barns -secure +mp_gamemode survival +sv_gametypes survival
A couple of things you could try. You'll need a friend to help you test.

Try bypassing your router connecting directly to the modem and see if it works then.

If it does, your router is blocking needed ports.
If not, then your isp could be blocking ports. (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...-EUDN-2493#isp)

Try a different port to test if perhaps the default port is blocked. (Actually, there are websites that will scan a specific port for you to see if it's open. Not sure of one offhand though.) You can specify a port like this,

-console -game left4dead2 -port 27015 -maxplayers 4 +sv_lan 0 +map c2m4_barns

27015 is the default port. I've had mine running on 27017 and working fine. You're on a router right? Double check settings there and make sure the proper ports are open. If it's set right, port 27017 should already be open. Also, you shouldn't need to specify the gametype/gamemode since you have it in the server.cfg but it shouldn't make any difference with it there.

If you have something like zonealarm installed, even disabling it doesn't help. It leaves something running that will still block ports.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #97
MH_robo

i don't know why it's not letting other people join, all ports are open, my AV isn't blocking it...
guess i'll have to play survival all alone
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #98
crash2004

Quote:
i don't know why it's not letting other people join, all ports are open, my AV isn't blocking it...
guess i'll have to play survival all alone
There are a multitude of things that can block people from joining. We've literally only scratched the surface of possibilities. Did you try the things mentioned in my previous post? Like bypassing the router, trying a different port...

Even though you believe your AV isn't blocking the server, that still can happen. I know from personal experience with several different AV programs. AVG is bad for still blocking even though it's added to exclusions. Kaspersky sometimes does the same. I haven't used symantec in quite some time so I can't say there but I know it used to cause issues. The only sure way to test an AV is to remove it completely and try again without it. Reinstall after testing.

Certain spyware/malware can block as well. Use a program such as Malwarebytes to scan your system. Never rely on any one program to keep your system free of that sort of stuff. Err, I don't mean install multiple av programs. I mean use a separate malware scanner along with an AV.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #99
Bear809

Banned
*In ellis voice*
"Aye luv U"
Bear809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #100
Bear809

Banned
HELP! I cant even join my own server. It just stays in lobby with the L4D2 loading circle thingy
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #101
Bear809

Banned
Ok doesnt work. I cant join from lobby. Server is broken. -_-
Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #102
Bear809

Banned
Anyone?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #103
Bear809

Banned
So no one can help? Ugh BS
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #104
Imperium_prime

Hello. I was about to make a thread, but you seem to get L4D2 servers, so maybe you can save me from making a thread.

I have ran one before, not to run all the time but to put up and down whenever friends want to go on it, for the simple reason as to play mods and such. For a normal game we would just use a normal server.

However, lately the server does not seem to work. My computer fried a while back, and after that I get weird error messages for no reason, and then the server appears to run and function later, so I am not sure what is up, but I would like to fix it, in case there is a problem, or just stop the messages if nothing is wrong.

This is what the error messages say.

#KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\dvh\gameinfo.txt

#(*GameInfo*),

#(*FileSystem*),

#(*SearchPaths*),

#

IT pops that first one, and then four more come up one at a time as you close them out. I have an idea of what it is saying sort of, but I would not know how to fix it, I have not messed with L4D2 servers much, beyond quickly throwing one up and then down again. Worked fine. But now, I am not sure if something is wrong or not.

Any help would be appreciated.
Imperium_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #105
crash2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear809 View Post
So no one can help? Ugh BS
Sorry for not replying. I've been away from the forums for a little while.

Anyway, for your problem we need some more details first. Such as, if you are using the search key or force dedicated command. Are your ports open to the server? The server.cfg file? Has that been posted and checked over for errors?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)