Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
EMORAY

Acer laptop, overheating GC. How to turn fan on constantly?

Hey all, I've an Acer laptop with a 7300GO GC. It was overheating so I took it apart and cleaned out the fan, (Which was the original problem as the vents were literally fully blocked) I also replaced the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU heatpipe heatsinks as they were needing a replacement.

Now there seems to be an underlying problem as the GPU reaches around 55 degs and then the screen turns off, (I presume it should go higher than this) but when the screen goes off the fan isn't spinning. I'm pretty sure that if I could turn the fan constantly it would be at a reasonable temperature.

So how do I keep the fan turning?

Also I don't have any access to the BIOS as I don't know the password for it, (I'm having a bash at fixing the laptop for a friend).

cheers all!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Dragunovhun

Banned
This is a stupid guess but are you sure it's not some power saving feature turning the screen off? 55 degrees seems OK to me.
Dragunovhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
EMORAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunovhun View Post
This is a stupid guess but are you sure it's not some power saving feature turning the screen off? 55 degrees seems OK to me.
Yeah, it turns off after a couple of minutes but there is no way to turn it back on.

But then when I use speedfan to monitor the GC temps, it only turns off when it gets to 53-55 degs.

I think it's probably what ever is monitoring the temp of the GC is broken and so is giving a much lower reading, and so the fan isn't turning on to cool it down.

Although I must also point out that the screen fades out over a second, it doesn't just go black.
EMORAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
caveman26

when the screen turns and fades to me that would mean it is turning the power off to protect the laptop does nums lock work as in the light come on off when pressed after it has faded?
does it turn on after it has done this stright away?
rivatuner can set the fan speeds to max

have a look in the bios as some have features that turn the system off when it gets to a certain temp
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #5
Dragunovhun

Banned
If it fades, I'd say that means it's definitely something intentional, not a hardware failure.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
If it fades, I'd say that means it's definitely something intentional, not a hardware failure.
Not necessarily. TFT LCD displays will hold the image for a few seconds after power is suddenly cut off to the LCD, and the pixels slowly return to a blank state over a few seconds, thus the fading.

The way to tell if it's intentional or not, is that a sudden power or signal loss to the LCD the display won't fade out evenly, some areas will fade quicker than others, rather than a controlled even fade.

I'm thinking what may have happened here is the unfortunately all too common BGA solder failure. Above 55c, thermal expansion causes some of the solder joints to open up, causing the failure. I'm not sure exactly which chips were affected by this problem but in the last year or two I've heard of this happening a lot with laptops with nVidia GPUs. You've probably heard of people literally baking their video cards and motherboards in the oven -- this is why.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
EMORAY

Well it was deff overheating. I've reinstalled windows vista and it seems to be OK until I loaded 3DMark.

There is an issue of the computer just freezing when I'm browsing facebook :S. It seems to only be facebook too, (Firefox browser.)
EMORAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Dragunovhun

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMG View Post
Not necessarily. TFT LCD displays will hold the image for a few seconds after power is suddenly cut off to the LCD, and the pixels slowly return to a blank state over a few seconds, thus the fading.
I just tried with my laptop and a dekstop monitor and they don't do that.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
I just tried with my laptop and a dekstop monitor and they don't do that.
Not normally, no, because when you tell the the computer or monitor to shut off, the last thing it does before turning off the LCD is to clear the screen.

In the even of an unexpected shut down due to hardware failure, and sometimes driver crashes, the instruction for the LCD to be cleared is not sent, so the LCD is shut off while it is still displaying an image, and you get the "fade out" effect.

The only way to manually re-create this effect would be to yank the ribbon cable that connects the LCD panel itself, while it is powered on. Something I do not recommend anyone try as it can cause damage.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems