Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 08-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Varq

Allow players to control bots

I'm sure this has been suggested before.

Right now, all we have is the host player able to change to a bot after a person disconnects (Or a player who created the bot to change to it.). The major problem is that if a player disconnects, the host is still alive, and a player is dead/spectating, why would you have a stupid bot than another player?

Similar to L4D, any player should be able to take control of any bots that are in game. Be it the player is still alive, dead, or spectating.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
TrilbyUK

Well...they died? Why should they be able to keep playing if they got themselves killed? That's like the point of not dying- because when you die, you're out. I understand if someone just joined and there's a bot, they should be able to be the bot, but someone who died shouldn't get to take control of one of the bots.
TrilbyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Vaddam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyUK View Post
Well...they died? Why should they be able to keep playing if they got themselves killed? That's like the point of not dying- because when you die, you're out. I understand if someone just joined and there's a bot, they should be able to be the bot, but someone who died shouldn't get to take control of one of the bots.
You can do it though. But only bots you control, not ones that come after somebody disconnects.
Vaddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Undead

Quote:
That's not what he's referring to.
If I understood correctly, when a player disconnects while he's still alive, he will be replaced with a bot. Now if another player joins the server, they're forced to sit in spectate even though the bot is still alive, therefore, can't actually play... While like in L4D, you can just "Click to Play" and your in.
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Bindal

Banned
afaik, if you join while there is a bot, you become the bot. However, he's talking about first someone joins and then someone else leaves. Result: A spectator and a bot.

I never had that situation, however I do know you can take control of a bot when you was playing. Either because you're still alive or when you died mid-game. By default it's F1 to F4 - that might apply for spectators as well.
Bindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
insaneinside

+1, FWIW
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Genosidoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindal View Post
afaik, if you join while there is a bot, you become the bot. However, he's talking about first someone joins and then someone else leaves. Result: A spectator and a bot.

I never had that situation, however I do know you can take control of a bot when you was playing. Either because you're still alive or when you died mid-game. By default it's F1 to F4 - that might apply for spectators as well.
Not true. I've joined games with bots and had to be spectator until they finished, and my friends have joined me in games I played with bots and they had to wait.

Also, only the host/creator of the bots is allowed to take control of them with F1-F4, other players and spectators cannot.
Genosidoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Denux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosidoh View Post
Not true. I've joined games with bots and had to be spectator until they finished, and my friends have joined me in games I played with bots and they had to wait.
A friend got disconnected mid-game, and when he returned he was able to take control of the bot. It's possible you can only control the bot if you were originally that marine.
Denux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
JigaDeuce

Any game that you join that is in progress that has a bot currently, you have to wait and sit in spec mode.

They need to implement a "Click to Play" like others have suggested.

When searching for a game, I now only join games that show "Briefing".
JigaDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
daniu

Quote:
Why should they be able to keep playing if they got themselves killed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead View Post
That's not what he's referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varq View Post
if a player disconnects, [...] and a player is dead/spectating, why would you have a stupid bot than another player?
[...] any player should be able to take control of any bots that are in game. Be it the player is still alive, dead, or spectating.
How is he not referring to a player being dead?
I agree spectators who connect after another had disconnected should be able to control the leftover bot, but dead is dead.
daniu is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm