Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
j_d_stagpump

Steam is not running. You must start steam in order to play this game.

Recently I keep getting the "Steam is not running. You must start steam in order to play this game." message when I try to start left 4 dead from the task bar or from the .exe in the left 4 dead folder. but the game works from within the steam gui.

Any tips on how to stop this will be greatfuly received.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
madrider

I don't think you're supposed to use the .exe in the file folder. Just launch it from the steam program and it should work fine.
madrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
real4xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrider View Post
I don't think you're supposed to use the .exe in the file folder. Just launch it from the steam program and it should work fine.
Actually, normally Steam should boot up automatically when you start a Steam game from the game`s exe.

Last edited by real4xor: 08-02-2010 at 01:02 PM.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
UltimateTobi

Does it work from the Desktop shortcut?
UltimateTobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
j_d_stagpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateTobi View Post
Does it work from the Desktop shortcut?
Nope it only works from within steam. I know this is'nt a major problem but it is annoying as Windows has also taken to asking permission to start steam every time I start a game, even if steam is already running, unless I start the game from withtin steam it's self.

Again only an annoyance really, but rather than one click to start a game I have to open steam, give it permission to run, go to library, scroll down to left 4 dead then start it.

This problem is only a matter of convienience but I would really like to solve it as the problem just spontaniously started. And months after I installed windows 7 so im sure it's not that.

Also if it is the start of a bigger problem then I would like to nip it in the bud.

Thanks in advance and if you need any more detail just ask.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
UltimateTobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_d_stagpump View Post
Nope it only works from within steam. I know this is'nt a major problem but it is annoying as Windows has also taken to asking permission to start steam every time I start a game, even if steam is already running, unless I start the game from withtin steam it's self.

Again only an annoyance really, but rather than one click to start a game I have to open steam, give it permission to run, go to library, scroll down to left 4 dead then start it.

This problem is only a matter of convienience but I would really like to solve it as the problem just spontaniously started. And months after I installed windows 7 so im sure it's not that.

Also if it is the start of a bigger problem then I would like to nip it in the bud.

Thanks in advance and if you need any more detail just ask.
Alright, well as I don't know the solve for the problem, my Desktop shortcuts work for Steam, etc.

Is this for all your games? That you need to give permissions, go into your Library, etc.? That would be really annoying.
UltimateTobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
j_d_stagpump

Yup all games in my steam list. Weither they are steam games or not.

But if for example I take my BF2, which pre dates my installing steam, off the games list then no problem.

Definitly what I call a pain in the ar*e
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
seq

If you look at the properties for your L4D desktop shortcut, does it say
\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 500
or
steam://rungameid/500 ?
seq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Solyc

Same happens 2 me but opening the game from the steam interface too
Solyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
Rand0mUser

Lightbulb Solution

Ok here's the solution: (I hope)
Delete your shortcuts to a .exe file that's supposed to run Left 4 Dead, then in steam, right-click Left 4 Dead and select "Create desktop shortcut".
As that shortcut was created by steam, then the destinstion should be something like "steam:\\rungameid\"and a number, just without quotes.
If it isn't that, still try it. It may be, as seqsaid, it may also be "\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 500".
Also, I think madrider is right. It might give the .exe extra data for it to run, and steam's way of handling a lack of extra data is probably the problem.

Just hope I'm correct
Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
xM4RKSTH3SP0T

I'm also having this issue with Left 4 Dead 2 and DotA 2. None others so far. Just these 2. DotA 2 won't open the welcoming doors at the beginning which tells us that it's not connected to the internet which also means that Steam is not running (well, it is actually). L4d2 crashes after the intro where it says Loading on the bottom right, says steam is not running or something. Please help!

Note: Both games were working before this happened.
EDIT: Also, I tried verifying both game cache files. Still not working.

Last edited by xM4RKSTH3SP0T: 01-01-2012 at 10:55 PM.
xM4RKSTH3SP0T is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips