Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
coreyscx

is steam worth it?

im still fairly new with alot of questions but i think its fun, is there anyway to play steam games on there own, no steam attatched, just take your cd key and play it stand alone. steam doesent even have achievements for most games out.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyscx View Post
im still fairly new with alot of questions but i think its fun, is there anyway to play steam games on there own, no steam attatched, just take your cd key and play it stand alone. steam doesent even have achievements for most games out.
You really like to use slow CD's and having to enter your CD key everytime? Running Steam makes everything so easy. You don't even get a CD with Steam so there is no need for it in the first place.

Games that use CD's rarely have achievements, Steam has achievements for hundreds of games. A list is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/

So in short: Steam is worth it.
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
ultradude25

Whenever I install a 3rd party mod or a non-steam game, then get kicked for having the wrong version I suddenly remember that I actually have to update things myself, something I've completely forgotten about doing due to Steam handling all that for me.
ultradude25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Seth.Sekhmet

Yes, steam is worth it.

No, you can't play games that require steam without steam.
Seth.Sekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
trojanrabbit.gg

Quote:
I'm still fairly new with a lot of questions but i think its fun, is there anyway to play steam games on there own, no steam attached, just take your CD key and play it stand alone. steam doesn't even have achievements for most games out.
Steam is awesome. Don't let anyone tell you different. Although quite a few games on Steam do not have achievements, their are so many more that do. I never really payed much attention to them, but they are there in many of the titles.

And although you must have Steam to play your games, you do not have to be online to play them. Once you register your game, you are free to play it offline when ever you want. And you get the benefit of having VAC(anti-cheat system) servers on many games. Although VAC may not work well with games that communicate with non-steam copies, it works well with the exclusive titles.

And then their are those massive holiday sales that will make you buy dozens of games that you otherwise would have passed on... Just wait for the Fall sale and you shall know what I mean. Just be sure you have saved some cash.

Anyways, to answer you question in short. Yes. Steam is most definitely worth it.
trojanrabbit.gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Darth Postal

Of cource it's worth it!

I love Steam for:

1. No DVD discs to scratch/loose.
2. No need to look for patches.
3. Achievements.
4. Game overlay with web-browser. Google while playing!
5. Sales. When was the last time you had -75% off in retail store?
6. Free weekends. For when demo is not enough.
7. No Securom (mostly).
Darth Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
FuuKuy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Postal View Post
Of cource it's worth it!

I love Steam for:

1. No DVD discs to scratch/loose.
2. No need to look for patches.
3. Achievements.
4. Game overlay with web-browser. Google while playing!
5. Sales. When was the last time you had -75% off in retail store?
6. Free weekends. For when demo is not enough.
7. No Securom (mostly).

8.- STEAM Community: See what games bought your friends, or hat they are playing now, or what achievemnts they got, or chat with them while in-game.
9.- STEAM Cloud: on games supported, fogett about losing your savegames. ALL stored and backup online.
10.- You can redownload your games as many times as you want.

STEAM is totally worthy. MUST HAVE for any PC gamer.
FuuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
ultradude25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuuKuy View Post
8.- STEAM Community: See what games bought your friends, or hat they are playing now
Wait... WHAT? Why are games buying my friends? And why are they playing with hats? Curse you TF2!
ultradude25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Amander

You can install Steam everywhere and you can download games from everywhere. It's way more awesome than carrying CDs with you. And if you really need to have DVD of a game, Steam allows it.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Village Idiot

Good luck if you have any problems.

I've had payment problems for the past week and all Steam Support did was give me the run around, giving me the same automated response despite the fact I've already confirmed it wasn't the issue.

Heres the problem with digital games attached to something like Steam; If you get crappy service, you can't just take your games/money and go elsewhere.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
VolTage

is rlly worth it, lets say ur computer crashes and u suddenly got ALL ur games delete, you can just go into your profile, then to the gaming section and re install whichever games you want to play rather then getting your cd, installing it and typing in the cd key, oh you don't need to type in the cd key for steam games if u lost it =)
VolTage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
dinh100

Quote:
Yes im fairly new to this service. it's totally worth it. Having all you games in one window is wonderful.
dinh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
The_Thing

Steam is definitely worth it.

As people mentioned before:

1. No scratched CD's while playing that may cause stuttering (SC:CT is the one I wanted to play)
2. It's made by Valve; the creators of Half-Life; the best PC game of the late 90's.
3. Awesome sales and free weeks/weekends.
4. You can buy a 4-pack or acquire guest passes and send them to friends on your list.
5. Participate in beta releases to look at the new features.
6. Buying games is very easy and fluent.
7. Games that are bought are digitally attached to your account no matter where you login. Even your CD Keys are attached as well.
8. Daily statistics; how many people are online, Steam Hardware Survey results, and much more.

There are more reasons why STEAM is awesome, but trust me, get it NOW!
The_Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
Blimpey

I like it more than going individually, all your games you import are already listed for you and it's up to you to choose which ones.s They come with the browser so if you find some free stuff that's always bonus. No need to keep reinstalling once you switch computers just back up your games and then restore on your new comp / os.
Sure it's extra software, but its worth it
Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
newportKINGS

Banned
It is and it is not, the only real gripe I have with Steam is there are very FEW retail games that are supported. I would love if they could get a larger library for retail games but you can't always have everything, I can only hope.....
newportKINGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion