Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Nation Red

Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
cheeriokilla

Nation Red with lots of LAG

So I bought the game and decided to try it out, it won't recognize my LAN so I decided to create an online game even though we're next to each other. It all started fine but suddenly it's like a MAJOR FAIL OF PACKET DELIVERY and it starts lagging with seconds of lag, we're not talking about minor lag or anything and it's funny cuz I can see my mates computer and he see's things I don't and things look all choppy there... Both computers are more than capable of running the game. Hope this gets fix'd

EDIT: On another note the whole 4pack thing is really misleading, it was REALLY cheap but it makes no sense if not 4 or more players can play together... The whole idea was developed by Valve with Left 4 Dead because they were 4 survivors. I was really hoping that there would be 4 player coop. Why not do a 2 pack and if you want to give a discount give a 50% discount on the second copy and it's almost the same deal as a 4pack just half the amount of games and half the discount...

I enjoyed the game a lot and I would enjoy it even more if there was NO LAG when playing LAN.

Last edited by cheeriokilla: 08-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Pattoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriokilla View Post
So I bought the game and decided to try it out, it won't recognize my LAN so I decided to create an online game even though we're next to each other. It all started fine but suddenly it's like a MAJOR FAIL OF PACKET DELIVERY and it starts lagging with seconds of lag, we're not talking about minor lag or anything and it's funny cuz I can see my mates computer and he see's things I don't and things look all choppy there... Both computers are more than capable of running the game. Hope this gets fix'd

EDIT: On another note the whole 4pack thing is really misleading, it was REALLY cheap but it makes no sense if not 4 or more players can play together... The whole idea was developed by Valve with Left 4 Dead because they were 4 survivors. I was really hoping that there would be 4 player coop. Why not do a 2 pack and if you want to give a discount give a 50% discount on the second copy and it's almost the same deal as a 4pack just half the amount of games and half the discount...

I enjoyed the game a lot and I would enjoy it even more if there was NO LAG when playing LAN.
Yeah, ive seen the lag issues. for a few games in a row my partner instantly died (Before the cut-scene ended) but he was still killing zombies, because i saw zombies dying, even though his corpse was right next to me...

Then after those games, the game crashed, because that's what this game is awesome at doing, crashing!

I hope this is just an issue with the latest patch (the lag and the crashing) and will be fixed soon. I hear they are very dedicated developers but they havent replied to me as of yet.
Pattoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
cheeriokilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattoe View Post
Yeah, ive seen the lag issues. for a few games in a row my partner instantly died (Before the cut-scene ended) but he was still killing zombies, because i saw zombies dying, even though his corpse was right next to me...

Then after those games, the game crashed, because that's what this game is awesome at doing, crashing!

I hope this is just an issue with the latest patch (the lag and the crashing) and will be fixed soon. I hear they are very dedicated developers but they havent replied to me as of yet.
Yes I have read they are very dedicated devs too, I really hope they fix it, it's a simple game but very very fun if they get it to work as intended
cheeriokilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
KeReMiD4O

Coop issues?

First of all, great work with the game!
If it wasn't for yesterdays update, I wouldn't have bought it
Love what you guys have done with it.

I enjoy the singleplayer and I decided to gift a copy to a friend to try the coop.
All is good, he liked the game and we decided to try it.
First I host a game, he recieves the invite and joins, I star it and all is good until there... He started to lag or something like that and after a while we were back to the menu (just like that we did nothing but play). I asked him wtf did he do he said that I had died, but from my perspective he died. He hosted this time, after some stutter play the game drops.
Like disconnect from server. (We have no problem with the connection between each other. We play alien swarm, l4d, tf2 without problems.)

I had issues with the windowed mode - when in windowed and alt-tabbing to write to him, the game freezes while in the background. If I'm the host and alt tab, until I alt tab back in to the game, it doesn't go on.

We will give it another try after a few hours and see if it wasn't something random.

Hope you guys understand the problem, cus I got lost in the explanation...

Overall... HALP Coop no work!
KeReMiD4O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
cheeriokilla

bump... Does anyone have a solution to this? anyone else having the same problem?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
cheeriokilla

Yes, the netcode is going through a stage in which it's very poor. Don't play coop til' they fix it. The game lags even in LAN mode
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
SnowBrigade

DiezelPower
Hello cheeriokilla,

We've started to check what this lag could be. We had the game in Beta for a while and most lag reported was very little, nothing on the scale you're reporting here.

We're using Valve's code as well, I will check if they know why some people could be having this problem while others play fine.
SnowBrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
SnowBrigade

DiezelPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriokilla View Post
Yes, the netcode is going through a stage in which it's very poor. Don't play coop til' they fix it. The game lags even in LAN mode
Lots of people playing coop though.. I can see people on Japanese sites playing with Americans and not reporting this excessive lag.

In any case we're looking into what could be causing the major difference in lag you are mentioning. Such a big difference must hopefully have a simple cause.

Last edited by SnowBrigade: 08-11-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
cheeriokilla

Well, we were literally playing one next to the other but the game couldn't detect our Network and we created an online game, but we're one next to the other. It was pretty obvious when we'd tell each other to grab X weapon that was dropped or X power up and the other person couldn't see it and it really wasn't on the other person's screen. I also saw the game speed up my partner in which it looked like it was trying to catch up. We played the barricade map that has 4 sentries in the middle and the first free play map... Both had the same problem... The other 2 people whom I gifted the other 2 games I got in the 4 pack also experienced severe lag issues in which they couldn't revive their team mates because the "reviving bar" would go up and just drop back to 0% once it was in 100%... (all of us must of probably gotten the do 3 revives in one match achievement because of that)...

I really appreciate your hard work... My money was (VERY WELL) spent

EDIT: It may be pretty obvious but the Host computer never lagged, the game looked fine there, so either there were packets the host wasn't sending or packets the client wasn't sending

Last edited by cheeriokilla: 08-11-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
WaZzUp115

I've also experienced weapons and powerups only being visible on one of the clients, this was in beta and I was playing with a friend while talking over skype.

"dude, get that health pickup!"
"what health pickup?"

I also saw him walk over like 4 powerups and only pick up half of them..
WaZzUp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
cheeriokilla

Don't get me wrong SnowBrigade, the game in singleplayer is very awesome and I, personally find the coop to be very buggy. So until it's fixed, you can find me playing the awesome singleplayer.

Oh and BTW no reports from them doesn't mean it's working perfectly for them. Unless they're using VOIP they won't notice that they're lagging
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
SnowBrigade

DiezelPower
Hello cheeriokilla,

Well it's a good time now for us to focus on those issues you reported while adding further player support. Codebase should be solid since it's Valve's code, but we can probably improve on the integration with our own game code to address the lag.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
KeReMiD4O

Funny way to mix a topic... Great work.

As for the issues, cheeriokilla are you by any chance behind a router?

No idea if that might be a problem, but I'm behind a router and this is the only game I have problems with.
KeReMiD4O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
cheeriokilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeReMiD4O View Post
Funny way to mix a topic... Great work.

As for the issues, cheeriokilla are you by any chance behind a router?

No idea if that might be a problem, but I'm behind a router and this is the only game I have problems with.
Don't want to be rude but how else can you play LAN if not behind a router/switch? so the answer would be yes, most people nowadays have multiple computers in their house so routers shouldn't be a problem. And yes this is the only multiplayer game I'm having trouble with. According to Steam I have played BFBC2, Killing Floor, Alien Swarm and GTA:EFLC in the past 2 weeks... In none of those games have I had any lag whatsoever.

@SnowBrigade thank you very much for your time and attention, it is great to see so much dedication being put in to deliver customers the best experience possible. This game/community is A+
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
El_Sayal

it appears to be more than just lag. it's more of a lack of sync between each player. while hosting on several games i've been revived by a player nowhere near me and killed by invisible zombies, while hosting....

I would suggest a way of seeing lag/ping on the join screen for online co-op play, personally.
El_Sayal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Nation Red