Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
JTF

'Steam Account - Forgotten password' e-mail, did not request it....

Just got an email from noreply@steampowered.com with the following:

Dear Steam user (account name: xxxxxxxxxxxx),

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration to help you reset your Steam password.

Please enter the following code into the 'Verification Code' field of the 'Forgotten Password' dialog. (Enter the code exactly as written. You can use copy/paste operations to enter the code):

xxxxxxxx

Please also enter the *answer* to the following question into the 'Secret Answer' field of the same dialog:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?

IMPORTANT: Please do not reply to this message to attempt to reset your password -- that won't work. You must enter the above information into the Steam application.

Signed,

The Steam Support Team
To submit a question, please visit the online helpdesk at the following address: https://support.steampowered.com/

==============
This notification has been sent to the e-mail address you provided when you created your Steam account. For information on Valve's privacy policy, please visit http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never requested this e-mail, so does it mean someone is trying to hack my account? I am guessing they would also need to have hacked my e-mail account as well, otherwise the whole process is pointless, but i can't see any sign of that having happened.

I've just done a full virus scan using the latest definitions and it's found nothing.

The weirdest thing is that i have been logged into Steam all day (still am now) so why on earth did Valve's system even accept a request for a forgotten password when the account in question is actually connected!

Any advice what i should do? Change both my Steam password and the password for my e-mail just in case?

Last edited by JTF: 08-11-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
>X2<

Banned
Change you password to both, (don't not use the same one for both) just to be sure you are safe.

Probably just someone with a typo but.
>X2< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
scotland372

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by >X2< View Post
Change you password to both
Don't change your password to both.

Then X2 will know your password and hack your account!
scotland372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
JTF

Lol

Oh well changed both passwords now just to be on the safe side. I've been on steam for over 6 years and this is the first time it has ever happened to me.

I really think Valve should improve their system though. If somebody is actually connected to the Steam servers, they should automatically disable the 'reset password' function.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
ozgeek

Good idea about steam disabling the password reseter if logged in.

Did you logoff and log back on just to be sure your okay?
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
JTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgeek View Post
Good idea about steam disabling the password reseter if logged in.

Did you logoff and log back on just to be sure your okay?
Yeah i have done, all seems to be okay - although after i changed my Steam password it did not prompt me to type it in on the next start. I was expecting it to ask, but i guess once you have successfully changed the password it updates the file on your HDD that stores the login info.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips