Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wolfenstein series

Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
Dan082535

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

when i launch Return to castle Wolfenstein i get this

ERROR: GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Here is the Dialog that the loader has when it starts the log.

Code:
Wolf 1.32 win-x86 May  1 2002
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\return to castle wolfenstein\main\sp_pak4.pk3 (21 files)
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\return to castle wolfenstein\main\sp_pak3.pk3 (14 files)
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\return to castle wolfenstein\main\sp_pak2.pk3 (232 files)
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\return to castle wolfenstein\main\sp_pak1.pk3 (1342 files)
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\return to castle wolfenstein\main\pak0.pk3 (4775 files)
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\return to castle wolfenstein/main

----------------------
6384 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
execing wolfconfig.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
Cmd_AddCommand: map_restart already defined
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\Windows\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 10: 2048 1536 FS
...using colorsbits of 32
...calling CDS: failed, bad mode
...trying next higher resolution: failed, bad mode
...restoring display settings
...registered window class
...created window@3,22 (2054x1564)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
...125 PFDs found
...hardware acceleration found
...PIXELFORMAT 7 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
...WARNING: fullscreen unavailable in this mode
...setting mode 10: 2048 1536 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: failed, bad mode
...trying next higher resolution: failed, bad mode
...restoring display settings
...window already present, CreateWindowEx skipped
Initializing OpenGL driver
...WARNING: fullscreen unavailable in this mode
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
Any help getting this running will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
darkpuppy

Well, mate, there's no single reliable fix with this game. If you're an ATI graphics card user (the Radeon family, that sorta thing), then give the fix mentioned in this thread a go, whereas, if you're an NVIDIA user, make sure your OpenGL Extension Limit is at some number, 4404 or something like that. To do that, you're probably going to need a program like nHancer.

Also, updating your graphics card drivers to the latest may, or may not help. But, to be honest, there's no single, consistently working fix with this game so far, and there won't be a patch to allow it to use DirectX as its draw-engine unless somebody reverse engineers the code.
darkpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
SgtRedRock

Could the final answer be this simple after causing so much brain damage?

After months of trying every idea I could find on the net, I finally got this game to load!

Maybe this will help someone else...

I have an Nvidia GeForce 8700M gt and could not get this game to load because of the opengl error. Just now, after reviewing the single player config file (wolfconfig.cfg) file for the umpteenth time, I saw an entry I had not noticed before,

seta r_glIgnoreWicked3D "0"

I manually toggled the value to "1", saved the config file and lo and behold...the game loaded.

I then set the same value in the multiplayer config file (wolfconfig_mp.cfg) file and YES...that worked too!

My NVidia 3d settings from the Control panel for RTCW are vanilla and the in-game settings are set to max.

Not sure if this helps anyone but me, but if you try this simple fix, let us know your result.

After doing a Google search using the paramter above, I found that this was solved a year ago by someone else on another forum. You can read that short thread here:
http://www.forumopolis.com/showthread.php?t=90435

And for my last edit on the subject, here is another forum with some very useful info including the toggle edit above:
http://wolfensteinresource.com/commu...ic,5118.0.html

Last edited by SgtRedRock: 08-26-2010 at 10:54 PM.
SgtRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
darkpuppy

From experience, this is not a certain fix. For some cards, it works. For many others, it doesn't. There appears to be no single, reliable fix.

EDIT: I tried the ignore wickedGL, r_mode -1, custom rez "fix"... and it still gives me an OpenGL error. I can run other Q3 games, but this one's just buggy and picky... It only runs in software render, which then comes out choppy as hell.

Just the FYI here:
Realtek HD Audio
ATI Radeon HD 4770
Win XP SP3
2Gb RAM
Athlon Dual Core X2 Processor.

Last edited by darkpuppy: 08-26-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
SgtRedRock

Darkpuppy, so sorry it did not work! I know how frustrating this is. And yeah...SW mode sucks! I'm out of ideas on this. Wow, you could not get it to work even on XP? I though Vista was the problem. I'm on Vista, Intel Duo Core, Nvidia 8700m GT.
SgtRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
darkpuppy

Fraid not, Sarge. This isn't a recent problem either, it's been around since the day of its release. I actually tried to find the original devs and ask them for the code so we could fan patch it like V:TM Bloodlines was fan-patched, but no dice.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
carmafreak

Not that anyone will need this solution since this is a very old topic but:

removing wolfconfig.cfg under \Steam\steamapps\common\Return to Castle Wolfenstein\Main
seemed to solve the problem for me easely enough
you might have to do a verify integrity of game cache to let that file to be restored to defaults.

the basic reason i found to be the issue was one simple thing :
The resolution ...setting mode 10: 2048 1536 FS that was probably not supported by you're screen (to high a resolution since flatscreens mostly stop at 1920*1080 (hdmi1080p))
carmafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Bioland

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmafreak View Post
Not that anyone will need this solution since this is a very old topic but:

removing wolfconfig.cfg under \Steam\steamapps\common\Return to Castle Wolfenstein\Main
seemed to solve the problem for me easely enough
you might have to do a verify integrity of game cache to let that file to be restored to defaults.

the basic reason i found to be the issue was one simple thing :
The resolution ...setting mode 10: 2048 1536 FS that was probably not supported by you're screen (to high a resolution since flatscreens mostly stop at 1920*1080 (hdmi1080p))
I actually needed that exact bit of info yesterday, so a huge Thank You to carmafreak!! (may the Karmatic wheel spin in his/her favor)

I was bitten by screen resolution envy and wasn't thinking when I selected the setting. Deleting the wolfconfig.cfg was the answer I needed to get the game working again.
Bioland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Feelgood

Major necro of old topic, but glad it worked out for you. :-)
Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
solidspider

Talking Thanks A Million SgtRedRock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRedRock View Post
Could the final answer be this simple after causing so much brain damage?

After months of trying every idea I could find on the net, I finally got this game to load!

Maybe this will help someone else...

I have an Nvidia GeForce 8700M gt and could not get this game to load because of the opengl error. Just now, after reviewing the single player config file (wolfconfig.cfg) file for the umpteenth time, I saw an entry I had not noticed before,

seta r_glIgnoreWicked3D "0"

I manually toggled the value to "1", saved the config file and lo and behold...the game loaded.

I then set the same value in the multiplayer config file (wolfconfig_mp.cfg) file and YES...that worked too!

My NVidia 3d settings from the Control panel for RTCW are vanilla and the in-game settings are set to max.

Not sure if this helps anyone but me, but if you try this simple fix, let us know your result.

After doing a Google search using the paramter above, I found that this was solved a year ago by someone else on another forum. You can read that short thread here:
http://www.forumopolis.com/showthread.php?t=90435

And for my last edit on the subject, here is another forum with some very useful info including the toggle edit above:
http://wolfensteinresource.com/commu...ic,5118.0.html
Holy Smokes!!!! I Tried The Patch, and A few Other Tweaks Including The nHancer Utility, which does not work with my Video Card: GeForce GT 335M Intel Core Duo Alienware M11x PC. RTCW works Normally on my other M14x Alienware Unit which is an iCore7, so I KNEW it had to be a Video Card Issue. Then I Stumbled Across this Precious Tidbit of Information! AMAZING How Just One Little Variable Made The Game Work! This Game is Awesome Too! I Also Have it on my Nexus 7 Tablet (via the Google Play Store) which Peaked my Re-Interest in the game again as I have never finished it! Thank You Very Much!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
solidspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wolfenstein series