Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Steeamsux

HELP! Cant play game. Wont update!

Ok, so I bought LEFT4DEAD for pc. NOWHERE on the package does it say u must have internet to play!!

I have slow satellite internet. STEAM wants me to "update" 1 GIG!!! before I can play. It has taken me like 3 days to download 20MB from Steam!

It wont start in offline mode.

This is worthless! I want my money back!!! What a scam!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Sushi

Banned
Almost the same thing is happening to me right now.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
NothingHappens

Steam is an Online Gaming platform and it's said in the chart that if you buy a game on the Steam Store you NEED an internet connection to be able to DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE GAME.

Learn to read and go back on the Steam website reading the info and the chart.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Sushi

Banned
What if we bought the game somewhere else and installed in the computer?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
real4xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeamsux View Post
Ok, so I bought LEFT4DEAD for pc. NOWHERE on the package does it say u must have internet to play!!

I have slow satellite internet. STEAM wants me to "update" 1 GIG!!! before I can play. It has taken me like 3 days to download 20MB from Steam!

It wont start in offline mode.

This is worthless! I want my money back!!! What a scam!
Take a deep breath, make a support account and contact steam support to patiently ask for a refund.

They`ll probably do it.

But I don`t get your criteria... you`d rather play a game full of bugs, old ugly graphics and junk, than having the game updated and running like a train?

Because you know, that`s what updates do, they improve performace of the software.
That`s not a scam, that`s a service.
Although some people might agree it`s annoying it`s done automatically at games` startup.

for example; Microsoft`s Windows doesn`t require internet either, but you`d better have it because you REALLY NEED those Windows updates to make it run properly...
It would be crazy if they had to send everyone a cd with their updates (although they do this for companies, at a certain price).

Last edited by real4xor: 08-17-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: adding example
Old 08-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
zh_kane

I don't think he's opposed to the game being updated, it sounds like he bought the game retail, and on the retail box it didn't mention internet connection was required or something.

steeamsux, is it possible for you to go anywhere and download the game, either by taking your pc to a friends place or getting a friend to download the game and copy the files onto a flash drive or such.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Stormy1

Left 4 Dead is bad by yourself anyways, it gets really fun when your with 4 real people.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Steeamsux

I bought the game at a store. It does not even say STEAM anywhere in the box, let alone internet required.

I am in Afghanistan. I have no other internet options. I dont care if the game sucks, I just want to play it!

Again, this is bull! Steam will not respond to support questions and there is no 800 number I can see.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
zh_kane

I still say try to get the files from a friend that has the game, even a non local friend if they had the files or game, could copy the files to a usb drive and mail it to you, it'll still probably work.
but if that fails

take it back to the store you got it from. if it doesn't work due to no fault of your own they should have to refund it.

I don't think there's much steam can do for you. it's really not made for people with bad internet.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
veggicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by real4xor View Post
Take a deep breath, make a support account and contact steam support to patiently ask for a refund.

They`ll probably do it.

But I don`t get your criteria... you`d rather play a game full of bugs, old ugly graphics and junk, than having the game updated and running like a train?

Because you know, that`s what updates do, they improve performace of the software.
That`s not a scam, that`s a service.
Although some people might agree it`s annoying it`s done automatically at games` startup.

for example; Microsoft`s Windows doesn`t require internet either, but you`d better have it because you REALLY NEED those Windows updates to make it run properly...
It would be crazy if they had to send everyone a cd with their updates (although they do this for companies, at a certain price).
The kicker here is its probably quicker to download the entire update then wait for steam support to get back to you. I can't play the latest game I bought because of a duplicate CD-Key so I have to wait for steam support - since they made me write all over my manual not sure if I can return it to the store now.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
Beautiful Spud

I bought Pc silent Hill Homecoming retail version, in the re-used section of my local game shop just a couple of days ago.
It did not say anywhere on the packaging either that internet or steam account required to play this game.............

Because what happened when i installed via steam was a duplicate product key message.........meaning i cannot play the darn thing though i have just bought it, because of the previous owner.

Honestly i think this is going to cause a lot of problems in the long run, not just for the customers but for Steam.

After a few hours i managed to send off my ticket etc to the support, perhaps they will reply and reset my key perhaps nothing will happen at all- help!, have read on the forum someone waited three weeks for a reply??

What should one do, has anyone else experienced problems similar after buying a re-used game, did it get resolved in time ok??

Cheers folks

Old 08-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
Steeamsux

Well, I'm ing done. No response from Steam "support." Now it wont download the 1 GIG update at all! Yes, 1 F-ING GIGABYTE to update a brand new game!!!

This F-ing game is going in the trash.

I will never buy a STEAM product again!

I hope all employees of Steam have reetarded children...

Last edited by Steeamsux: 08-19-2010 at 06:51 AM.
  Received Warning
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
The_Thing

Quote:
Well, I'm ing done. No response from Steam "support." Now it wont download the 1 GIG update at all! Yes, 1 F-ING GIGABYTE to update a brand new game!!!

I think it's time to close this thread now.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
nullsquared

Quote:

Calm down, sheesh. You must be used to playing consoles, it isn't as easy as just putting in a disk and automatically playing it. You need to have internet connection to install it first, and then play it offline.

Plus, it doesn't even have to be on Steam, it could normally be installed on the computer.

Last edited by nullsquared: 08-19-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
Nerp!

Quote:
Brand new?
The game is like 2 years old
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips