Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
interested

Borderlands will not connect to online account

Hello, I have had borderlands for a few months now and i always played single player with no issues.

Now i convinced a friend of mine to buy it on the current sale, and i would like to try multiplayer out, however when i try to log in it says
"login failed you must be logged into an online account"

i used my standard gamespy account, which i checked at gamespy.com and my login credentials are fine, but for some reason borderlands will not connect.

I also tried creating a new account through borderlands, and it did create the account but it still will not let me log on.

So what gives? what am i doing wrong here, and why wont this game connect so my friend and i can play co-op?

thanks for any tips anyone can give.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Askjosh

hmm that is a good one the only thing I can think of is the that the port used to communicate with the gamespy server is being blocked. I would check the support pages on gamespy.com to see what ports need to be open to play online.
Askjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
interested

Not sure how ports could be an issue,since it let me create a new account from within borderlands.

It just wont seem to connect and keeps giving me that error message regardless of which account i use.

Also i have no issues connecting with steam games like L4D2, or EA games like Battlefield bad company.

I dont have any other games that use gamespy login that i could test.

Any other ideas?
interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Sage009

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested View Post
Hello, I have had borderlands for a few months now and i always played single player with no issues.

Now i convinced a friend of mine to buy it on the current sale, and i would like to try multiplayer out, however when i try to log in it says
"login failed you must be logged into an online account"

i used my standard gamespy account, which i checked at gamespy.com and my login credentials are fine, but for some reason borderlands will not connect.

I also tried creating a new account through borderlands, and it did create the account but it still will not let me log on.

So what gives? what am i doing wrong here, and why wont this game connect so my friend and i can play co-op?

thanks for any tips anyone can give.
I've been having the same issue, but only AFTER all the DLC came out =/
Sage009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Xenos72

LOL I had this issue when I bought the game
Xenos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
seseorang

I never bothered with opening any ports and I managed to log in, search for and join in games
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Xenos72

Well I felt stupid. Couldn't connect to old gamespy account so I just created another account, same email address but different password and ID.
Xenos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Vangkao

I created a new account using the same email address, password, and ID as my Gamespy account. Worked perfectly. Apparently, the Gamespy account thing is just for that particular game's server. I've had to do the same thing for other "Gamespy" games.
Vangkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
barnaby12

Is there a fix for this, I'm having the same problem
barnaby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Zekiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby12 View Post
Did you try the thing right before your post? Create a gamespy account?
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby12 View Post
It really would be best if you started a new thread, and discribe your problem, and what you've tried to do to solve it. You're breif comment places far too much responsiblity on the readers to fliter through the previous messages (1.5 years old) and make a lot of assumption about your problem. What happens is others start asking you 20+ questions, and you answer, one by one. Naw, way too much work for others. If you truly want a solution, create a new thread and discribe your problem with a lot of detail.

Last edited by nrnoble: 06-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
Lord Boss

My friend had the same problem just a moment ago. It turned out it was AVG stopping the connection. He had to uninstall it and install another ani-virus. Hope this helps
Lord Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
wubang3r

Same issue here. It was working fine up until yesterday. Then it complained about a missing .DLL file on launch, but launched anyway. Reverted all my setting to default and wouldn't accept my login.

The fix: Made a new Gamespy account ingame with the same email and same PW. Just created a different username. Now I'm in with my characters intact.

I'll be so glad when Borderlands 2 drops with Steamworks.
wubang3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
secure

Had same issue when I used email and password to login as on most game spy apps after 2009. When I used my gamespy id to login issue was gone.
secure is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands