Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 08-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
Lt.frostwolf

Mac mouse..

Hi ! Can you guys please do something about the Mac's mouse acceleration ? It's really annoying, if you could disable it at every game's start-up that'd be cool.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
johnston9234

mouse acceleration? do you mean sensitivity?

you can adjust the sensitivity at game options or go to system preferences>mouse (something like that i have a laptop)
johnston9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
nosmiles

If you have the mighty mouse I recommend you buy another mouse , You can change your senvility in steam preferences or your mac preferences.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Janichsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnston9234 View Post
mouse acceleration? do you mean sensitivity?
I think Lt.frostwolf really means acceleration. The mouse pointer accelerates somewhat different under MacOS X compared to Windows and some players (usually switchers from the Windows versions of CS:S or TF2) claim to have problems with that. I'm convinced this is just a matter of getting used to it (I always played under MacOS and don't see any problem), but there is a way to turn off that acceleration.
Janichsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
YouWinAFREEiPOD

Banned
Mouse acceleration = your aim is somewhat crippled

The faster you move the mouse the further it will go on the screen, regardless of the distance you actually move the mouse, so even if you don't notice it you'll probably struggle to find a real consistency because you're always moving your hand at different speeds.

Typically there's some way to shut it down, but Mac don't offer any way to turn it off in any of the Mouse System Preferences because they're too high-tech for that kind of helpfulness, so I use a third party app called USB Overdrive to turn it off manually. It's free and fully functional, albeit one with an annoying "please register" message that locks it down everytime you start it up in an effort to get you to purchase it, but a 15 second wait is worth being able to turn acceleration off.

Last edited by YouWinAFREEiPOD: 08-19-2010 at 04:47 AM.
YouWinAFREEiPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWinAFREEiPOD View Post
Mouse acceleration = your aim is somewhat crippled
I'm pretty good with Windows mouse accel., I'm used to it. Not so much on Mac though.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Fuzz Bucket

Banned
I really don't notice...
Fuzz Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Lt.frostwolf

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmiles View Post
If you have the mighty mouse I recommend you buy another mouse , You can change your senvility in steam preferences or your mac preferences.
I'm using a Razer Abyssus. Yes, the first problem may lie in the mouse manufacturer's zone. I've sent Razer a message about this, but I'd probably get a reply telling me to purchase one of their other Razer for Mac products.

The thing here is, it would be a great idea if Valve / Hidden Path could in some way implement the deactivation of mouse acceleration code (that janichsan's link posted) at every game's launch.

I also wonder if I could implement the code at OSX's startup in someway, there has to be a way to do it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
MNagel

Valve
You may want to try this one too: http://triq.net/mac/mouse-accelerati...-pane-mac-os-x

You may like it better than the terminal option...
MNagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
Janichsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.frostwolf View Post
The thing here is, it would be a great idea if Valve / Hidden Path could in some way implement the deactivation of mouse acceleration code (that janichsan's link posted) at every game's launch.
Then they probably would get irate hate mails by all those who don't have a problem with the mouse acceleration or even prefer it. If it would be optionally in the game's preferences, most people could live with that, though.

Quote:
I also wonder if I could implement the code at OSX's startup in someway, there has to be a way to do it.
The terminal commands I linked turn off the acceleration for good: what they actually do, is setting the corresponding option in the system's preferences.

Last edited by Janichsan: 08-20-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Janichsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #11
ArnoBNouZeS

I use that since a long time:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-...-command-line/
It's free, just 3 command lines, very efficient ... and has scriptable potentialities...
Enjoy!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
BenRoethig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNagel View Post
You may want to try this one too: http://triq.net/mac/mouse-accelerati...-pane-mac-os-x

You may like it better than the terminal option...
I've had very good results with it.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Cjelli

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz Bucket View Post
I really don't notice...
Yeah....

I have never had an issue with mouse acceleration with gaming, ever.
Cjelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
johnston9234

i dont notice any mouse acceleration on Windows 7

**edit**

of course there is some but it is very subtle.
johnston9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
styfle

This was the first thing I noticed when switching to Mac. And it actually took me awhile to notice it because I only used the trackpad on my MacBook for the first couple months and there is no acceleration on the trackpad. As soon as I plugged in a mouse I was looking how to turn it off. I finally settled with USBOverdrive but it still isn't perfect. If anyone knows a better way, please post.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games