Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Bandorin

Lightbulb [Windows - Fix] Steam Validation Rejected.

Alright, so I had this problem since a few days ago and for me it got fixed by reinstalling steam. Underneath this part I will post several things that might work. Those methods are not thought of by me but by other Steam users.

-The list of methods underneath start with easy methods which might fix it, the lowest ones are the ones that might take a little longer because of reinstalling/updating of Steam.-

1.Verify the Integrity of the Game Cache
-Open Steam and go to your Library - Games.
-Right Mouse click on the game that gives the error, select Properties.
-Go to the Local Files tab and click on Verify integrity of game cache.
-Try to run your game and join a server.

2.Steam_appid.txt
-Install Source Dedicated Server, it's only a few MB and won't take that much space.
-Start it once, then close it.
-Go to your Steam directory, (C:/Program Files/Steam), and go into the Source Dedicated Server folder. (C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/%USERNAME%/Source Dedicated Server).
-Make a new .Txt file and call it steam_appid.txt
-Open the file and put the ID of the game that gives the error. The ID's can be found by going to the Steam Store and search for the game that gives the error. The number at the end of the link is the ID of the game, for example Garry's Mod: http://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/, fill in 4000 in the text file.
-Save the file
-Try to start the game that gave the error and join a server.
(If this doesn't work try to create a new folder in the Source Dedicated Server folder called the name of the game that gives the error and insert the text file.)

3.Deleting ClientRegistry.blob
Another fix that might help is deleting the ClientRegistry.blob file in your Steam folder.
-Close Steam.
-Go to your Steam folder, for example: C:/Program Files/Steam.
-Search for the file called ClientRegistry.blob and delete it.
-Start Steam and let it update.

4.Deleting almost all files in your Steam folder
This is an alternative on the fix above which might solve it if nothing else helps.
-Close Steam.
-Go to your Steam folder, for example: C:/Program Files/Steam.
-Press CTRL+A, once all files and folders are selected hold CTRL and deselect SteamApps and Steam.exe, then delete them by either pressing Right Mouse button -> Delete or just by hitting your Delete key on your keyboard.
-Open Steam and let it update.

5.Nothing worked... HELP!
If nothing helps the only thing left to do is reinstall Steam, don't forget to make a backup from homemade maps or addons! This will save you a lot of pain and work.
-Close Steam.
-Open your Control Panel (Start/Windows Sign -> Control Panel).
-In the upper right corner there will be some text saying View by:, click on the text next to it and change it to Category if it isn't set to this yet.
-Underneath the titel: Programs choose for the option Uninstall a program.
-Wait a few seconds/minutes untill a list of programs shows up, search for Steam, select it, right mouse button and choose for the option Uninstall, follow the windows pop-up to uninstall it.
-Go to the About Steam page(click About Steam) and click on the Install Steam Now button.
-Follow the steps and install Steam. Now install your game(s) and if you have backups of maps or addons you can place them back after you played the game once.
-Start the game, join a server and it should be fixed.

6.It's still not fixed, what now?
If you still get the errors ask yourself the following things:
-Did my Steam Account get disabled by a Steam Administrator?
-Did I buy the game(Steam) or did I download it illegaly(Non-Steam)[Please note that you can also buy games in stores, with illegaly I mean that you did not pay any money for it IF it wasn't a free game like Alien Swarm].

If you are sure that the two things noted above are not your problems, try to open a ticket at the Steam Support page.

I would like to thank the persons who came with the methods for sharing them with everyone.

~Bandorin.

Last edited by Bandorin: 08-24-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Bandorin

A small bump to keep this topic up so people don't have to scan through all the pages :P
Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Quaxon

I was ready to quit TF2 after every game I joined, I got kicked by STEAM Validation Rejected. I asked friends and it seemed I was the only one getting the problem.

I am so happy I found this compilation,

I tried deleting my tf2 folder before these, that still didn't work. I tried the top 3 on the list and now its works just like normal!

*********************EDIT***********************
Just checked a few more servers... it still doesn't work.
Still, take the rep for your hard work

Last edited by Quaxon: 08-23-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Quaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Bandorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxon View Post
I was ready to quit TF2 after every game I joined, I got kicked by STEAM Validation Rejected. I asked friends and it seemed I was the only one getting the problem.

I am so happy I found this compilation,

I tried deleting my tf2 folder before these, that still didn't work. I tried the top 3 on the list and now its works just like normal!

*********************EDIT***********************
Just checked a few more servers... it still doesn't work.
Still, take the rep for your hard work
Your last option, if you didn't try it yet, should be reinstalling Steam which should fix it, else try opening a ticket at: http://support.steampowered.com , it might take a few days before you get an answer, my ticket took five days untill it got answered by a Steam employee.

The last few methods are the ones that should most likely fix the problem, the highest ones are the simple ones which don't take too much of your time and could fix it according to the posts where I found them.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
gaz492

I'm still getting this error I've tried everyhthing and steam won't reply to my question I sent the
but I can connect to a server if I conect to a random one first and then cancle it and go to the server I want to go to. I'm using that as a temporary fix a the momoent untill they rellese a fix.
gaz492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Dougal

Thanks no.2 worked for me
Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
Mantonio

What I want to know is, why the hell is this happening in the first place?

It can't be the users fault for millions of people worldwide to suddenly get the same issue (myself included) so why has Steam suddenly screwed up?
Mantonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
T@F

Just bought a new router and now i'm getting it.
No i'm not vac banned in before the trolls.

Anyway i'll try some of these work arounds hoping it will fix my prob as well.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
deathdancezx

Bump

This should be sticked. People with this problem can fix it by reading this thread, but if this thread is forgotten then nobody will see it and the questions will begin.

Also: +rep to the OP if i solve this problem
Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Bandorin

Seriously Steam, what the duck is wrong with your software? This is the SECOND time I'm getting this error from out of no where... Last time I played was yesterday, afterwards shut my PC down, logged in today, worked on a map for Garry's Mod all day, want to play some Garry's Mod with my friends and BAM! "STEAM Validation Rejected..."

Do something about this Steam, it's jarateing me off!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
claymanluca

ok... does using the UnDead patch to get all free have to do with it?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
MH_robo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymanluca View Post
ok... does using the UnDead patch to get all free have to do with it?
Kinda.
And if you're using it, then get the out, we dont like pirates.
And if you dont, then prepare for cops to come at yo door.

Anyway, im getting the same problem here, its jaratein me off.
It shows up when i join a first server, then when i join a second one it doesent show up.
On other words:
Connect to FortWars 2 server (i never go there) -> Get the error -> Join a RP server (I go on it all day) -> No error
MH_robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Mollsmolyneux

How do I install Source Dedicated Server, it is not in my tools list for steam. I saw "Dedicated Server" but on the install menu for that it expressly says that it is not the newer "Source Dedicated Server" instead "Half Life Dedicated Server"
Old 02-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #14
MH_robo

Bumpin this .
MH_robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Wicked Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandorin View Post
Seriously Steam, what the duck is wrong with your software? This is the SECOND time I'm getting this error from out of no where... Last time I played was yesterday, afterwards shut my PC down, logged in today, worked on a map for Garry's Mod all day, want to play some Garry's Mod with my friends and BAM! "STEAM Validation Rejected..."

Do something about this Steam, it's jarateing me off!
This.

Out of no where I get this "STEAM Validation Rejected" I was playing one minute, got a "connection problem" so I opened the console and typed retry only to get this wonderful error.

Exiting game didn't work, restarting Steam didn't work so a Google search brought me to this thread. Hope the OPs solutions can help.
Wicked Judge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips