Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
AfZ_PiMp J

LAN Mode (offline mode) check box?

Using Quakecon as a reference, there are plenty of times a year that LANs big and small occur, with or without internet access which may or may not be total . It would be helpful for those who forget to put their machine into an offline mode before attending the event to be able to check a box on the login screen that simply says "LAN Mode" or "Offline Mode", instead of having to login to steam to actually do it.

I can't see this as being too difficult to implement, here's hoping it's a minor fix in a future update

Old 08-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Amander

When you start Steam without an internet connection, it already asks you if you want to go into offline mode, so your "checkbox" is already in.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Prikolist

Well it's been a while since I tried, but as far as I remember, Steam will spend like ten minutes trying to connect to its servers before giving up and letting you use offline mode. Which is pretty annoying. So an offline mode button on that "Connecting Steam Account" window would be pretty neat.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Amander

Make sure you have no NIC connected to a gateway. If your LAN administrator sets up a gateway for whatever purposes, unplug the cable for few moments.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas