Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
tomg5232

This is what AA x4 looks like

CoP.

I've even forced AA in CCC and it still looks like this.

Any ideas?

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/6...9071213391.png
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
kamikazekrieg

its just a bad texture maybe?
kamikazekrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Bad_Motha

Banned
Turn AA & AF off in the game menus. Force it via CCC by making sure it's no longer set to "Application Preferred". Normal AA setting alone will not work in STALKER. Usually you will have to disable Catalyst AI setting, then enable adaptive AA along with your normal AA setting (2X, 4X, 8X, 16X, etc. ~ depending on your card)

Forcing AF shouldn't be an issue, simply set to what you want. If you have a more powerful card, try using AF + Edge Detect filter. This should give better looking results then Box filter. Also makes sure you have MIPMAP quality set to maximum for best visual results for the games overall. But aside from MIPMAP quality in CCC, you still have to select the texture quality in STALKER. That slider only has 4 settings, each are a 25% setting. If you do not have at least a 1GB + 64-bit OS, it's best that you do not set texture quality in CS/CoP to 100% as this will surely hinder performance on low/mid-range systems with a 512MB card or less. Even some of these budget 1GB cards won't do very well performance wise.

For your reference picture there, the grass will always look jagged like that no matter what, especially when it's right in your face like that. It's simply the way CS/CoP is. There are some things you can do to make it alot less noticeable, like getting a mod for CS/CoP that changes the grass colors and such so the tones blend better and don't stick out so much.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
tomg5232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Turn AA & AF off in the game menus. Force it via CCC by making sure it's no longer set to "Application Preferred". Normal AA setting alone will not work in STALKER. Usually you will have to disable Catalyst AI setting, then enable adaptive AA along with your normal AA setting (2X, 4X, 8X, 16X, etc. ~ depending on your card)

Forcing AF shouldn't be an issue, simply set to what you want. If you have a more powerful card, try using AF + Edge Detect filter. This should give better looking results then Box filter. Also makes sure you have MIPMAP quality set to maximum for best visual results for the games overall. But aside from MIPMAP quality in CCC, you still have to select the texture quality in STALKER. That slider only has 4 settings, each are a 25% setting. If you do not have at least a 1GB + 64-bit OS, it's best that you do not set texture quality in CS/CoP to 100% as this will surely hinder performance on low/mid-range systems with a 512MB card or less. Even some of these budget 1GB cards won't do very well performance wise.

For your reference picture there, the grass will always look jagged like that no matter what, especially when it's right in your face like that. It's simply the way CS/CoP is. There are some things you can do to make it alot less noticeable, like getting a mod for CS/CoP that changes the grass colors and such so the tones blend better and don't stick out so much.
Cheers. Yeah AF is working for me.

Regarding AA, I unchecked use application settings and still no joy. tried it with ai enabled and disabled and nothing works. To be honest I'm happy playing without aa but i'm sure I saw a post from someone saying that SoC and CS's aa doesn't work but CoP does.
tomg5232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Chevyboy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomg5232 View Post

Regarding AA, I unchecked use application settings and still no joy. tried it with ai enabled and disabled and nothing works. To be honest I'm happy playing without aa but i'm sure I saw a post from someone saying that SoC and CS's aa doesn't work but CoP does.
Don't know what to say, 4870 user here and haven't had an issue with AA in CoP or CS, both running in DX10 of course. AA doesn't work in SoC with ATI (can be forced with nvidia at a massive performance hit) the last time I tried anyways.

I've used both forced via CCC as well as applied in game and both seem to work for me. Applied in game seems to give a slightly better IQ with a lower performance hit, however the differences in both are minimal.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Perch

I had the same problem but I never bothered to find a fix. I think that because it's a sprite, that's just the way it is. *shrug*
Perch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
jestersdance

Quote:
Use AtmosFear. That skybox made my eyes bleed
jestersdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:

- Turn AA on, select mode (2x, 4x, 8x, etc.)
- Having Catalyst AI is sometimes hit/miss depending on your card and the game at hand. Sometimes it good to have on, but sometimes it causes issues.
- In some game engines, for the AA to work properly when forced, be sure to also enable "Adaptive Anti-Aliasing" option. Then select it's mode, Performance or Quality.

Your image that is linked is not a good example.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 09-07-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
tomg5232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
- Turn AA on, select mode (2x, 4x, 8x, etc.)
- Having Catalyst AI is sometimes hit/miss depending on your card and the game at hand. Sometimes it good to have on, but sometimes it causes issues.
- In some game engines, for the AA to work properly when forced, be sure to also enable "Adaptive Anti-Aliasing" option. Then select it's mode, Performance or Quality.

Your image that is linked is not a good example.
I'll try it and see. Yeah I did try using AA from looking at the edge of a building as well as "up in your face grass blades" Still couldn't tell any difference.

I'll keep playing with it.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #10
tomg5232

[QUOTE=Bad_Motha;16885827]

Oh, will the Atmosfear mod conflict with the mod's you gave me the other day?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Pesticides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyboy88 View Post
Don't know what to say, 4870 user here and haven't had an issue with AA in CoP or CS, both running in DX10 of course. AA doesn't work in SoC with ATI (can be forced with nvidia at a massive performance hit) the last time I tried anyways.

I've used both forced via CCC as well as applied in game and both seem to work for me. Applied in game seems to give a slightly better IQ with a lower performance hit, however the differences in both are minimal.

i have the same videocard. Running on 1920 1200 everything highest. But i can not afford AA i think, i already have many fighting scenes with only 26 fps. You can the game with AA on with this card ???
Pesticides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
jestersdance

Quote:
Oh, will the Atmosfear mod conflict with the mod's you gave me the other day?
I don't know what he gave you but AtmosFear won't conflict with other mods except the ones modifying the weather, and I don't know any major weather mod besides AtmosFear. Backup your gamedata folder and try installing, you can revert to the old folder if it conflicts.
jestersdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
toonshorty

SoC = No AA without Mod.
CS = AA works after update.
CoP = AA works out of the box.
toonshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
Angelslayer

I expected some gorgeous screenshots.
Angelslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
Chevyboy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesticides View Post
i have the same videocard. Running on 1920 1200 everything highest. But i can not afford AA i think, i already have many fighting scenes with only 26 fps. You can the game with AA on with this card ???
Sorry should clarify, I don't use AA, I've tested it and AA works. I actually use to use AA in CS but with the complete mod that was no longer possible with the performance hit. Unfortunately the 4870, as great a card as it is cannot put up decent frames at high resolutions in Stalker with AA enabled as you know.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series