Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Download automatically suspends

I am currently attempting to download the Demo for Half-Life 2 through Steam, and after about 45% of the download, it automatically "suspends" - I cannot resume download (though I can pause it; any attempt to resume it just brings it back to "Suspended"). I have attempted this four times now and each time it stops by itself. It cannot be an internet connection issue, as I am still able to browse through the Store.
Screnshot:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8...dsuspended.png

I haven't tested whether this'll happen with other games; I have only been trying to get Half-Life 2 Demo to see if my computer is able to run games under the Source engine. (it does meet the Minimum requirements, but almost the Recommended)

Needless to say, this is very annoying.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Wazhai

Try:
-restarting steam
-changing download region under settings>downloads and cloud (something like that)
-starting the download again if speed isn't a problem
-deleting ClientRegistry.blob in the main Steam directory

Last edited by Wazhai: 09-09-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Wazhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
john490

Have you tried "Verifying the game cahce" under the games' options in the steam library. That generally unfreezes downloads for me. Might be wortha a shot.

best of luck.
john490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Since it mysteriously disppeared from my Downloads window (but still saying "Downloading - Download paused"(ie., Suspended) in the Games window), I deleted Local Content and downloaded the Demo from fresh.

No less than 5 minutes later (after downloading 98% of ~240MB, despite saying that the Demo will be 1066MB), the download suspends yet again. I verify the game's cache, and after that, it doesn't continue downloading.

----

Also, I am having another bug regarding another game I downloaded:
Because Half-Life 2: Demo wasn't working for me, I tried Portal: First Slice. It downloads fine, but does not play at all.
A rundown of what happens when I click "Play":
- the dialog "Preparing to launch Portal: First Slice..." opens.
- the blue border around my SteamID icon changes from blue to green - presumably, this means that "this user is in a game".
- screen goes black for a few seconds.
- screen resolution changes to 640x480.
- screen resolution changes back to 1280x1024.
- the game has closed itself and the border around my SteamID icon soon changes back to blue.

I don't want to come across like an or anything (considering how annoyed I am regarding Half-Life 2: Demo), but someone please tell me what the hell is going on? Why is it that the games I get don't seem to work in some way? I've had Steam for not even three days now and to be frank, I'm very dissatisfied with Steam's delivery service.
(I mean, I was hoping to get TF2/GMod, but why should I risk spending money on a game when the free ones don't work?)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Jagblade

Same thing was happening with me last night, I restarted steam and it fixed itself though, only instead of finishing the Half Life 2 Demo download, it showed up as downloading Half Life 2. It still turned out to be the demo of course.

Today now however, I got the Orange Box. My update for Half Life 2 has frozen (Suspended) at 99%. 3,696.7 / 3696.8 to be exact and no solutions have worked so far.
Jagblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Bumping own thread because the issue still hasn't solved itself.

I have even tried removing and reinstalling Steam (because maybe it was a faulty Steam.exe download or something), but that still hasn't done anything; Downloading Half-Life 2: Demo still suspends.

I honestly cannot see why. I've changed download servers, I've shut down and reopened Steam, Ive verfied the game cache, I've deleted Local Game Content and started the download again from scratch (so many times, over the course of five days since getting Steam), I've power-cycled the whole computer and it STILL suspends.

Why? Just why? My computer meets the hardware requirements (512MB RAM, 2GHz Pentium 4, DirectX 9.0c), so it's not a hardware issue.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
real4xor

Well, I`ve had it my downloads randomly suspend. I know they suspend when you start a steam game. But even without that, it just suspends... randomly.

It doesn`t happen often tho, so for me it`s just minor inconvenience, not really a problem.

Can`t really say what causes it :/ download speed setting & localization setting are both correct. So it can`t be that. And I can`t say broadband is too slow or anything.

Haven`t had it persistently supsending a single game tho. Maybe you should delete local content and try again?
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by real4xor View Post
[...]Haven`t had it persistently supsending a single game tho. Maybe you should delete local content and try again?
I've had to do that every single time. It still suspends.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Update: I changed the download server to "France - Paris" since both the UK-based servers (London and Manchester) weren't working. According to Steam yesterday night, Half -Life 2: Demo had finished downloading. It said so on the Download screen, it gave me a pop-up message. It was too late to play it, so I left it and switched off the computer.
I try and play it this afternoon, and it goes as far as the VALVe screen before closing down on me. I check Steam and lo and behold, it's no longer in my Downloads list. It is, however, in my Games library, but says "Download paused". I right-click, and there's no option to resume, only to pause. So I pause and resume. It has 0.6MB left to download and it's suspended.

I have changed download servers multiple times, to Belgium, back to Paris, to London, I restart Steam every time I do (since it asks me to) and still it suspends. With less than 700KB left to download.

What the hell.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Deleted ClientRegistry.BLOB.
Restarted Steam.
Logged in.

"Download suspsended."

Verified game cache.

Download suspended. ("Update paused")

Changed download servers from London to Paris.

Download suspended. ("Update paused")
---

I'll keep bumping this topic until this gets sorted out, because VALVe'll end up losing a potential customer. In fact, I'm surprised I'm still banging on about it, because any sane person would've gave up and gone home when it first started.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Yes I am aware that I am bumping one of my own threads. My problem has still not been fixed.

I have redownloaded the demo twice today and the download will suspend at some random point.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
Neo "2.3" Hylan

Retried yet again.
Download suspended.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
real4xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo "2.3" Hylan View Post
Yes I am aware that I am bumping one of my own threads. My problem has still not been fixed.

I have redownloaded the demo twice today and the download will suspend at some random point.
This is only the users halping users forum. ^^ If we dunno, we`re not the last people to ask.
So you don`t have to keep bumping forum threads.

Send a ticket to http://support.steampowered.com/ .
They might take a while, but they should be able to figure out your problems.
remember to include: your connectivity problem (downloads suspending), your country/location, your internet connection (and/or ISP), OS, etc. in the ticket. And whatever other relevant information for this issue.

You might want to check your download speed settings in Steam too, and put them a bit lower. See if that stops the dl suspending.

Last edited by real4xor: 11-27-2010 at 04:15 AM.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips