Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
another jber

Question PC freezes or blue screen do to bad memory slots?

Ok so here is the deal.
Years ago my computer started getting the blue screen of death, pretty much only when I would play games though, and I might be just imagining this but it seems to happen most when I am really getting it on with the keyboard buttons. it goes to blue screen while playing a sound through my speakers that sounds like a loud annoying motor or one of those air pumps, and then it says on the blue screen something like "dumping physical memory 10x00000x002000" or some crap like that.
However, I thought you know, what the hell it sounds like a memory problem, so I changed my 1 of 2 memory into a different memory slot and sure enough! NO MORE!!!!! I COULD PLAY L4D AGAIN WITHOUT IT BSODing EVERY 10 MINUTES!
So this problem was fixed for a few months and then just the other day I booted up L4D and now I hear my hard drive click and then the game freezes for 30 seconds on and off about every 10 seconds... SOO!... I decided to remove the stick of memory that I moved a few months back into a different slot and though it fixed the freezing problem I have the blue screen problem back.. YEPPIE!
Now I can't play games again.
This is the weirdest thing dudes! please help me..

supertalant pc3200
kingston hyperX pc3200
7800GS CO
motherboard Abit UL8

Last edited by another jber: 09-17-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
The hard drive clicking is probably your hard drive beginning to fail and now you have probably introduced an old problem by moving the RAM to a different slot. Run a hard drive test:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...tharddrive.htm
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
another jber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotNdude View Post
The hard drive clicking is probably your hard drive beginning to fail and now you have probably introduced an old problem by moving the RAM to a different slot. Run a hard drive test:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...tharddrive.htm
AHHHARRAHHH!!! I clicked on long generic test.. this is taking forever but hopefully it tells me if there is something wrong with my HD.
And introducing the old problem... what else was I supposed to do? I only have 4 memory slots.

-EDIT!
Nope, nothing wrong with my hard drive...

Last edited by another jber: 09-17-2010 at 01:02 PM.
another jber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
another jber

Hmmm.. Pretty weird. I put memory back in the slot that was causing the freezing in L4D, this time I put the other stick in it's place and now it doesn't seem to be freezing.

Still, if anyone has any ideas as to what is going on, please tell.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by another jber View Post
Hmmm.. Pretty weird. I put memory back in the slot that was causing the freezing in L4D, this time I put the other stick in it's place and now it doesn't seem to be freezing.

Still, if anyone has any ideas as to what is going on, please tell.
Could be a cracked trace near one of the slots, or a bad solder.
damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
another jber

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged View Post
Could be a cracked trace near one of the slots, or a bad solder.
You know, now that I think of it, this all started around the time I got that stick of ram.. what gets me is why does it react differently to different slots.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by another jber View Post
You know, now that I think of it, this all started around the time I got that stick of ram.. what gets me is why does it react differently to different slots.
If it is indeed a cracked trace or bad solder, it may react that way, heat, pressure, etc, can all play a part there.
damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
borg_7_of_9

Is the ram speed the same!

bios set's timing based on first populated ram slot, if the timing are different this may be the cause of your hickup!

use Everast to get all the details of the ram's speed/timing's and compare, you may find the timing are different!
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems