Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper: Ghost Warrior

Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
jsturners

Duplicate product code

I purchased the game from a major retail store and when I went to install it I get the message- "Duplicate Product Code"
The product code you've entered has already been activated by an existing steam account, and therefore invalid. Your activation of Sniper: Ghost Warrior Retail has not been completed.
So what's up with that. I put in a support ticket with steam yesterday and still no answer. I am unable to play the game because it wont finish installation becasue of this. Does anyone know why this would happen? Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
DBD_Lobo

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturners View Post
I purchased the game from a major retail store and when I went to install it I get the message- "Duplicate Product Code"
The product code you've entered has already been activated by an existing steam account, and therefore invalid. Your activation of Sniper: Ghost Warrior Retail has not been completed.
So what's up with that. I put in a support ticket with steam yesterday and still no answer. I am unable to play the game because it wont finish installation becasue of this. Does anyone know why this would happen? Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Was this a pre-owned game? This can cause it to show as having duplicate owners.

It is also possible when CI released the game that they gave a duplicate code to steam, in that case you may want to contact City Interactive, and Steam, I do not see why they would not get this corrected for you.

Until then I would recommend that you do not install it to your Steam library if you would like to play the game. And follow up with Steam support they are usually quite helpful with these issues.

Good Luck
DBD_Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
jsturners

no this was a brand new game from W*lmart.
jsturners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
DBD_Lobo

Banned
Quote:
no this was a brand new game from W*lmart.
Then I would Say, It is also possible when CI released the game that they gave a duplicate code to steam, in that case you may want to contact City Interactive, and Steam, I do not see why they would not get this corrected for you.

I have seen this issue happen before with an EA game, and EA provided a new code, and although it took months to resolve, my understanding was that they did resolve it, I have not had any luck with support from CI, but I would hope that you have.

Until then I would recommend that you do not install it to your Steam library if you would like to play the game. And follow up with Steam support they are usually quite helpful with these issues. But know they may not be able to help you with this, due to you not buying it through their service.

Or just return it to Wal-Mart, and exchange it for another copy, or a different game.

Good Luck
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
jsturners

yep, if I don't hear from steam by tomorrow then I will return it for another copy. Thanks for your response to my topic.
jsturners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
DBD_Lobo

Banned
I would also make sure that the game is completely uninstalled, I would also tell Wallie World that there is an issue, just tell them not sure what is wrong but the game does not install. That will usually work well with them, if you tell them that there is a problem with the key they tend to be real heads.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
dlfloyd

Angry Duplicate product code

Quote:
yep, if I don't hear from steam by tomorrow then I will return it for another copy. Thanks for your response to my topic.
Just wondering if you resolved your issue and how? Had the EXACT thing happen to me. Bought the game at Best Buy last sunday, unwrapped it, tried to install and got the duplicate product code message. Don't understand how this can be a repetitive problem. Anyway, submitted the problem to steam support the same afternoon with all the back up they require. So far just crickets as a response. Trying to give them one more day before I take it back to Best Buy. If refund ends up being my fix, this will be the last steam game I ever buy.
dlfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Mike601

I am having the same problem, kinda. I purchased Civ V and installed it just fine to Steam. Game kept crashing so I uninstalled it and the steam account and re-installed the Steam account. I upgraded some drivers and now when I try to re-install the Civ V game, I get the Duplicate Product Code error and it will not let me install it. What is up with that?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper: Ghost Warrior