Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
17th Knight

Gifting Amnesia

I know there's at least one other thread where someone is wanting to help Frictional, and I've been having the same thought. I am always eager to help out companies who produce a product that I like, whatever that product is. Amnesia is a fantastic game and I was more than a little shocked that Frictional almost shelved it. They are not the most financially secure company, to say the least, and I have considered how I could help them to get their product out.

So, to help Frictional, and to share this remarkable game with others, I think that those of us who can afford to should gift the game to not only family and friends, but also to other forum members who can't afford it. Anyone who wants to support Frictional Games, or who simply wants to share the gift of game with other forum-goers, this is the the thread where we will be doing so.

So, to help facilitate this, I am creating this thread where people can:

- Request to have the game gifted
- Respond to requests by buying Amnesia for other forum members.

I am laying down the following criteria, though we'll obviously be going strictly on the honor system:

THE RULES

YOU MUST READ THESE BEFORE MAKING A REQUEST OR RESPONDING TO A REQUEST

1. The Demo = You should at least play the entire demo, beginning to end, before you put in a request. It is not fair, or right, for you to be asking someone to gift you a copy of a game simply so you can "try" it. Know beforehand whether or not you will like this game!! This is $20 that someone has earned, through their hard work, and they are handing it to you as a gift. Do not abuse this kind gesture.

2. Affordability = The people who this should be prioritized for are those who absolutely cannot afford the game. Poor-as-crap college students, young people, those who are unemployed, those with a low-paying job and a family to feed, etc. This is an act of charity, and if you don't need it, it is wrong for you to request it.

3. How to Request = Make a post in this thread saying that you are interested in having the game gifted to you, that you have read the rules, that you have read my entire original post, and that you have played the demo. Without these three things listed, your request will likely not be taken seriously. Do NOT pm individual members of the forums, myself included, begging for a copy. This is not appropriate. This thread is not meant to facilitate harassment. That being said, if you make a request, you need to expect that anyone who decides to gift you a copy will contact you via pm first. This is to ensure you don't already have a copy before they go and buy you one.

4. How to Respond to Requests = First, pm the individual who made the request. Ensure that no one else has contacted them in regards to their request. Then, if you decide to gift them the game, let them know that you will be gifting it to them. This way, they will be able to tell anyone else who may contact them that they already have been gifted the game/contacted concerning the gifting.

5. Say Thank You = Be certain to thank the gifter in pm's, and to say thank you in this thread. You don't need to thank the gifter by name, a simple "Thank you for the game!" as a post should suffice. This way, people reading the thread will know that you have already received a copy, and it's also just a nice gesture.

6. Be Patient = I have no idea if there will be much interest from people in doing this. I, personally, make enough money to gift the game more than once, on top of my Real-Life responsibilities and real charities that I deal with. Even those who can afford to, and are interested in gifting, likely have many other responsibilities in life or charities they wish to donate to. Do not be upset if you do not receive a copy, do not fight with other forum members over who is more deserving, do not be rude to people who have gifted or who have received gifts. Simply put in a request and see if you are contacted. I can make absolutely ZERO promises in regards to how this will turn out. If this thread turns into flaming/name-calling/rudeness/etc. then I will seek to have it locked and/or deleted.

7. Pay It Forward = This is the MOST IMPORTANT RULE of all. Maybe you can't afford the game now, but six months from now you have a better job, or more money. Return the generosity!!! Gift the game to someone else. You could also do some real life charity work. Go volunteer at a soup-kitchen. Buy presents for children at an Angel Tree during Christmas. Give as much as you can to the Salvation Army. Buy $100 worth of groceries for the local Food Pantry. Whatever you can to repay this act of kindness, whenever you can afford to, whenever you have the time to. Keep us updated on any charity work you do as a result of this gift, so that the gifter can know their act of charity has grown beyond this little forum and the game they gave. I personally believe charity is best when anonymous, but in this instance I think we can make an exception. Pay it forward!!! We are here to help Frictional Games in any way we can!!!!

DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK!!!
I know, I put up all these scary rules, and made it seem a bit intimidating, but if you seriously just don't have the money to buy Amnesia, and you really want to play it, then don't be afraid to put in a request. This thread is about charity, but it's also about helping Frictional Games. They are an amazing developer, and we should all be happy to be helping them out. There's no need to be embarrassed about not having the money for Amnesia, either. We've all been on hard times, myself included.

I hope this thread is well received and I hope the members here with the ability to support Frictional Games are willing to help other forum members enjoy this little gaming treasure.

Have fun, thank you for the interest, and remember to pay it forward.

Last edited by 17th Knight: 09-22-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
17th Knight

UPDATED LIST OF REQUESTERS

We DEEPLY appreciate everyone gifting out copies!!!! As always, if you already have a copy and are on the list, let me know, and if you want a copy and have posted already, let me know! If you haven't posted yet, then by all means, please do!

Please be patient everyone! A lot of our gifters have given out multiple copies and we obviously have many more requests than we have gifters, so I hope you all don't mind if this takes a few days to a few weeks to get a copy!

I promise you, you will eventually get a copy, but we can't guarantee when! Thank you for understanding!

postmanmanman - pm'd by me (requesting it for a friend)
iSpaceman - pm'd by me as well

basti51 - basti51 steam id
Vaikyuko - Vaikyuko steam id
Reaper1337 - Requesting PENUMBRA series (same developer, of course) - Reaper1337 Profile Page
jlgregory - jlgregory Profile Page
lexuss6 - lexuss6 steam id
Lyc0sa - Lyc0sa steam id
Alexalted - Alexalted steam id
lerlerson - lerlerson steam id
Pwncatz - Pwncatz Profile Page
HAvOXZ - HAvOXZ Profile Page
CrimsonFlame - CrimsonFlame steam id
Lurpsukka - Lurpsukka steam id - has already "paid it forward" ;-)
RetroNutcase - RetroNutcase's Profile Page - Is requesting the PENUMBRA series
DEATH - DEATH steam id (request made by his friend SpiritSharD
Vesuvius - Vesuvius Profile Page
Lancelllot - Lancelllot steam id
soullos - soullos steam id
sp1ndoctor - sp1ndoctor Profile Page - Has a copy of TeamFortress 2 that he can gift in return
tedmani - tedmani steam id
OfficialLegend - OfficialLegend Profile Page - would PREFER Penumbra, but will accept Amnesia as well :-)
Zlandael - Zlandael's profile page
Lt. Comm Data - LT. Comm Data's profile page
vizionblind - vizionblind's profile page
iJamesUK - iJamesUK steam id

Last edited by 17th Knight: 09-29-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
EliteTemptation

Ok, i'd like to make a request

i've played the demo fully through 3 times and have full interest in the game
i'm a broke student, who will try and get a job later this year :P (or next year)
Erm, i don't know what else to type

Last edited by EliteTemptation: 09-18-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
17th Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteTemptation View Post
Ok, i'd like to make a request

i've played the demo fully through 3 times and have full interest in the game
i'm a broke student, who will try and get a job later this year :P (or next year)
Erm, i don't know what else to type
Lol, your request is fine.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Mastix

I would like to make a request myself.

I have read the rules and finish the demo twice (another time after I saw this thread).

I was recently conscripted and my army paycheck is really low and I can't really use it for video games because I got some other more important things than that.

I also played the Penumbra games (back when I had time to work ) and I also love H. P. Lovecraft's works.!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
hermeslyre

Sent PM. Does the recipient have to be friended in order to receive the gift? Never gifted before.

Edit: ah, yes I suppose they do. Just tried buying.

Last edited by hermeslyre: 09-18-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Spattercat

I'd LOVE a gifted a copy. I've read the entire post, understand the rules, and have played through the demo. I'm a long time Lovecraft fan, and would trade some of my fiction for a copy of the game ) I'm also a single dad whose wages are garnished from student loans, and I'm barely getting by. I do buy games, but that's usually when I have just enough under my limit on a credit card, and I feel like treating myself. This was a case where I couldn't swing it at the reduced price, and it's still beyond my reach. So, yeah, would love a gift, thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
yogibbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spattercat View Post
I'd LOVE a gifted a copy. I've read the entire post, understand the rules, and have played through the demo. I'm a long time Lovecraft fan, and would trade some of my fiction for a copy of the game ) I'm also a single dad whose wages are garnished from student loans, and I'm barely getting by. I do buy games, but that's usually when I have just enough under my limit on a credit card, and I feel like treating myself. This was a case where I couldn't swing it at the reduced price, and it's still beyond my reach. So, yeah, would love a gift, thanks!
Sent PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
kramed

Great thread. I may purchase a copy to gift without purchasing it for myself. I am watching the videos of the game at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUd6...eature=related. Tried the demo, I cant handle it.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
SpiritSharD

I'm going to post a request up in an effort to help Frictional Games.

Just to clarify though, I have played and finished the game on another account (not my own), so I don't sure whether or not I'm eligible for a gift.

I'd appreciate if someone were to gift me Amnesia and/or any of the Penumbra games (I've played them as well). In return you'll have my thanks, a new friend to play online with (always a plus if it's me :P) and a promise to purchase TWO copies of their next game (one for me and a friend). Heck, no promises at the moment but I may be able to return the favour in the future.

Reason for being unable to purchase now is being I'm a poor-ish college student. The money I receive from EMA has to go towards equipment, bus fare etc, and unfortunately I receive no bonus this year otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Also, I doubt my mum wouldn't allow me to buy the game anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SpiritSharD: 09-18-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
ErichK

I will be paid this Friday, and will therefore be able to and willing to give out one copy of Amnesia.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
EliteTemptation

I've received two pms, depending on who gifts, i will notify the other via pm, and then maybe he can gift that copy to another user

thanks a-lot everyone participating

and hopefully when i find a job, i can gift a copy to someone ^__^
Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Wolfinton

I unfortunently too have only played it on a friends computer yesterday. I have played only 18 minutes on my own account though, so as Spirit, I dont know if I am eligable. I am unfortunently unemployed as I was layed off my last job and cannot find a new one yet.

I have already done a few charity events if that count as the "giving it back" part
Old 09-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Spattercat

I've PM'd Yogi, eagerly anticipating his generous gift. The love for Frictional is astounding, and I'll be sure to spread the word.

edit: lol, not so eager that I won't wait until it's after nightfall to play ;p

Last edited by Spattercat: 09-18-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
xt3rmin8

i really liked the demo, it was scary, and creepy lol first time i get scared in a game since resident evil 1 for gamecube, i usually buy games when their on sale on steam only, but i have to buy a visa gift card to buy them ><, and right now i have no cash left to buy anything since i just bought mine and my sisters books for this college semester. So I would APPRECIATE it if someone would gift me a copy. thanks!

my profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197997770504

Last edited by xt3rmin8: 09-19-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent