Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Networkgamer

Steam lock up

Ive tried searching everywhere that I can, but nothing relevant at this point. Anyway...

Whenever I start up the plain steam client, it'll start with the updating steam bar, and finish, then it'll update the steam platform, and finish, but then seconds later my laptop will completely, utterly lock up. The same happens with any steam game I try and play, like Mafia 2, except no steam window comes up, it just seems to think for a little and lock up.

The one thing I suspected that happened is I recently installed a new hdd and put Linux on it, and did a few things in Linux on my windows drive, seemingly messing up the permissions, but I redid all the permissions in windows so that the admin is owner and has full control, and my login having near full control, except for modify rights. Running steam with administrative rights doesn't seem to help the issue either, and I dont have the compatibility mode problem (deleted registry keys and they havn't reappeared).

System info: Asus G72GX-RBBX05, windows 7 64-bit home premium, Core 2 Duo P8700, 6gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm drive & 60gb 5400rpm drive, GTX 260m 1gb.

Any suggestions welcome, and I thank you in advance.

Edit: Steam starts up in safe mode, but nothing other than system drivers and utilities run at startup, such as the synaptics touchpad driver and the nvidia driver.

Edit 2: I used msconfig and disabled all startup applications and all services except for windows services, and steam gives me an error sayin I need to install the steam service, and a button to install it. I looked in the list of installed services on my laptop and the steam client service is installed, and if i click install steam service windows says it encounters a error and it just closes.

Edit 3: Its back to just locking the system up after updating.

Last edited by Networkgamer: 09-21-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Networkgamer

bump for the thread
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Networkgamer

Any ideas?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips