Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Genk

DX11 performance issues -59htz vsync?

There are problems with DX11 and this game... I find DX9 performance is much more stable. It seems to have nothing to do with the graphics lag itself but the vsync and htz at 59 for some reason... The game skips between 30fps and 60 fps depending on where you scroll the map.. it could be like 2 pixels either way and it will go nuts between 30 and 60.

Also DX11 seems to lag a lot more in general than DX9.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Wirapuru

How did you discover that? You think this could 'crash' the display of the game? I mean, what's happening to me and some people is:

- game starts ok, runs perfectly smooth, everything is fine.

- in about 10-20min the screen just freezes out, and isn't at any particular place/screen/etc - here it freezes at completely random situations. It *seems* like when a video card overheats but it's not the case. There's no sign of any other instability, neither sound or disk, os cpu, nothing.

- the screen keeps "paused" (everything, including cursor - you can't go to task manager) for about 15 seconds then goes black and the game seems to go back running behind like nothing has happened. Then you can go to task manager and kill the game, as the display doesn't go back with anything.

With dx9 this doesn't happen at all. Could be these odd frequencies with vsync? There is anything I could test to try to confirm that?

Thanks, at least something is starting to make sense..

ps.: this is the topic where we're discussing it.
Wirapuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
dannythefool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirapuru View Post
With dx9 this doesn't happen at all. Could be these odd frequencies with vsync? There is anything I could test to try to confirm that?
I doubt it's this, but if you can get an old CRT you can try adjusting the refresh rate - LCDs won't really let you do that though so it won't magically turn into a workaround if you discover that it is indeed related to the refresh rate.
dannythefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
anasuelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genk View Post
There are problems with DX11 and this game... I find DX9 performance is much more stable. It seems to have nothing to do with the graphics lag itself but the vsync and htz at 59 for some reason... The game skips between 30fps and 60 fps depending on where you scroll the map.. it could be like 2 pixels either way and it will go nuts between 30 and 60.

Also DX11 seems to lag a lot more in general than DX9.
There is a possibility that you perfectly know what I am about to suggest, but i'll try to help in the case you are not aware of what i'm going to say:

it's normal that the framerate drops from 60FPS to 30FPS (1/2) with Vsync. That's because to accompish the synchronization between your monitor and the frame buffer of your GPU, gerated images has to be only at some specified rates of the monitr refresh. So assuming your monitor refresh is 60Hz, if your FPS in a given instant is <60 (59 is enough to cause this) the framerate will suddenly drop to 30. It's just like your GPU is waiting for your monitor to finish the drawing of the frame, before generating a new one. To solve this problem you have to set "ON" the option named "triple buffering" in the control panel of your graphic drivers (neither if it's nvidia forceware or ati catalyst). The framrate will be capped anyway to 60 FPS, but it will be able to float freely between 0 and 60, without stepping from 60 to 30 suddenly.

I can ensure you that on Nvidia cards (or at least on GTX470) civ5's triple buffering works perfectly, and my FPS is not dropping 60 --> 30.
Whatever... I also do noticed on my machine the strange 59Hz instead of 60Hz. That's weird.

Bye
anasuelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Wirapuru

That makes sense, I didn't think about this, thanks anasuelli! I'll try it.

Catalyst Control Panel has it (if you go 3D -> All) but only for OpenGL. I'll see if Ati Tray Tools or something like that can help me.
Wirapuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Aesir Rising

Some LCD panels (typically, older laptops is where I ran into this... but I'm sure there are exceptions) report 59hz through EDID**. This isn't going to be a problem on CRTs, just some LCDs with some games.

The effect on some games can be a crash (e.g., Knights of the Old Republic has this issue).

Googling "59hz crash" will show it is not that uncommon of a problem, though it is specific to only certain games.

** I'm reasonably certain that editing the EDID definition of a monitor can damage the monitor. There are utilities to do this though.

Last edited by Aesir Rising: 09-22-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
jmccaskey

Valve
59hz is not necessarily a problem in and of itself. My nVidia GTX 295 + older Samsung LCD insists on running at that rate and it never gives me trouble.

I was having problems with the diplomacy/leader screens hanging for 20-30 seconds and then being still close to unresponsive in d3d10/11 mode in Civ yesterday. Turned out updating to the latest nVidia drivers resolved this completely. Might be worth making sure you are up-to-date, though I was several versions old and this may not fix issues for everyone.
jmccaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
anasuelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir Rising View Post
Some LCD panels (typically, older laptops is where I ran into this... but I'm sure there are exceptions) report 59hz through EDID**. This isn't going to be a problem on CRTs, just some LCDs with some games.

The effect on some games can be a crash (e.g., Knights of the Old Republic has this issue).

Googling "59hz crash" will show it is not that uncommon of a problem, though it is specific to only certain games.

** I'm reasonably certain that editing the EDID definition of a monitor can damage the monitor. There are utilities to do this though.
I am aware of the problem and I already fixed it a long time ago. Actually, it's not a real problem, because everything works just fine anyway in civ5 and in every other game. The only one game that is messing up with the "59Hz problem" is Pro evolution soccer; when that stupid console-game sees 59Hz instead of 60Hz, the vsync checkbox becomes greyed out. So because this problem was preventig me to enable Vsync in Pro Evolution Soccer 2010, I fixed it the following way: with the nvidia custom resolution in the forceware control panel, just have to set up a custom resolution with manual refresh setting of 60.001 Hz. The OS will stop identifying the refresh as 59Hz and will get it right as 60Hz. This fixed it for me in every game, never seen 59Hz again. Uh, never... before Civ5. But it's not causing problems at all.

Anyway this surely has nothing to do with the 60-->30 FPS problem of the thread-starter.
anasuelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Aesir Rising

That is good information. The thread starter asked about 59hz. Hopefully you have helped him.
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series