|09-22-2010, 11:20 AM||#47|
Join Date: Sep 2008
One generational difference would be DX level support (9.0 vs 10.0), and another would be system bus (AGP vs PCI). Though I'm aware occassionally OEM suppliers will upscale AGP to PCI bus architecture in a few instances.
Last edited by Aesir Rising: 09-22-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo, added non-mobility spec
|09-22-2010, 12:43 PM||#48|
Join Date: Nov 2008
I found this on the 2K Forums:
|09-22-2010, 01:53 PM||#50|
This got mine working, would previously die during the opening movie...
Restart in administrator mode
Validate game files (still got that 1 bad file)
Navigate to 'C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\'
Ran following install files:
VCRedist\vcredist_x86.exe (C++ repair)
|09-22-2010, 02:44 PM||#51|
thanks for the advice sir but your fix has not helped me, hopefully someone else will get some satisfaction from it. Either way im still without a working copy of Civ V. Ahh well i suppose ill keep bumping this thread till someone drops us sad folk a golden fix.
|09-22-2010, 03:10 PM||#52|
HUZZAH!!! I have found a fix (albeit hopefully a temorary one...) ok so anyway after one half day of researching I picked and prodded through various forums and cobbled together a decent workaround...
First things first I wanna say I have only tested this in dx9 mode as I run an XP system, so please dont flame if if its not good for you
Its quite simple first off
1. open C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathon\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5 and find the file labeled GraphicsSettingsDX9, open said file and towards the bottom you will find the Fullscreen = 1 line, change this to read Fullscreen = 0 (yes you will be running the game in windowed mode...i know...i know...)
2. open C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathon\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5 and find the file labeled UserSettings. Once opened find the SkipIntroVideo = 0 line and change it to SkipIntroVideo= 1
Once you start the game in DX9 mode you will see a black screen for 30sec to 1 min, after which time you will be at the main menu and able to play. Hopefully a real fix comes along soon, while this ghetto rig job allows the game to be played im sure it will still bother those who have a nice system...still you have to learn to take pride in the little victories and after half a day of searching im quite happy with this result. Enjoy and please keep your ears perked for a better workaround, i know i will!
|09-22-2010, 03:18 PM||#53|
Join Date: Aug 2010
Build your own or get a proper computer store to do it for you. Don't buy garbage from Dell (because they don't support their own products among other reasons). And Alienware is just overpriced, overhyped junk.
|09-22-2010, 05:21 PM||#54|
Join Date: Sep 2010
FIXES that work
Hey been working on it all night and going through several support groups. There seem to be many bugs but for this one here is the solution set that i have tested myself and know works to get to gameplay.
Solution part 1 = http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...&postcount=178
Solution part 2 = http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...&postcount=185
Thread = Game Crashes After Cinematic - Help! = http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87486*** Steam thread ** just added = http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1440653
** btw will try to repost the solution as a reply if space allows
Good luck, -=DocDire=-
|09-22-2010, 05:37 PM||#55|
Join Date: Sep 2010
REPOST from http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...&postcount=178
FIXED: by posts and fooling around
* Disabled the service UxSms = Desktop Window Manager Session Manager **Note this probably did nothing would not recommend trying this fix
* Increased screen resolution to native = 1920 x 1080 ** again in theory this should have no effect bc running windowed mode at 1280 x 720? Although BigDen from firaxis says otherwise, guessing they would know better.
* adjusted user settings ini file to skip intro video C:\Users\computername\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\usersettings.ini --> SkipIntroVideo = 1
* adjusted fullscreen mode C:\Users\computername\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ --> GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini and GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini --> FullScreen = 0
* reinstall directx = F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\DirectX -> run as administrator (right click option) DXSetup.exe and D3D11Install.exe
* started the game directly from gamepath executables F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\ = CivilizationV.exe or CivilizationV_DX11.exe ** in theory this should not make a difference either. just have not had time to finish testing. So should work from steam library link or shortcut too.
Q - What specific issues happened? Don't know, suspect graphics issues relating to files (images files from 2k are corrupt) that steam installer has bad image files and we are downloading and it is not installing correctly. Or programming error somewhere with graphics. Why? bc Directx installation was the only one that seemed to do something different or new and the installation did not say i had already had it installed. This usually means it is an newer version that has not been installed previously.
A2 - also i have seen screne resolution and DPI setting affect menu options, although doubt that this is an issue here.
Q - C:\ drive versus F drive.
A - I installed steam to the F drive for most users will be C drive ex. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v
Q- What is an *.ini file or how to open?
A - it i just text file used by programmer to save settings or info.
A - Open it using text editor. In windows 7 just double click on the file and it wil open in text viewer to edit it. ex. UserSettings.ini --> change the value on line "SkipIntroVideo = 0" to "SkipIntroVideo = 1" (obviously no quotes)
Q - How to run DXSetup.exe in administrator mode?
A - right click on the filename --> on the menu item click on "Run As Administrator"
Q - Screen resolution?
A- Big Den from firaxis said: The game only supports resolutions of 1024 x 768 and higher. Please make sure you're desktop resolution is at least set to this resolution or higher. Trying to play this at a lower resolution can cause this to happen. http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...&postcount=121
A- Also have notice some screen resolutions and dpi setting may mess up onscreen menus, layout and text / loading. Always believe graphics were scalable but trust Firaxis developers the people who built it would know.
Q - DirectX 9 or DirectX11 ?
A - Surprising not that many games today are direct11 (or dirctx10), although they should be. Civ looks like crap in directx9 ! The fog of war is just blackness. It looks GhettO! and i dont mean ghetto fabulous, just horrible. If you are able to play directx 10/11 = look surprisingly good. haven't had much time to play as just arrived home = so hopefully other bug or issues won't into play.
A - Older graphic cards are not able to play DirectX11.
* dont know this one. U gotta figure out on your own. My card is Directx 10 = nvidia 260M but seem to work okay
* Direct X11 >= greater than Nvidia GT 300 series
* DirextX 11 >= ATI 5800 series
* most new cards purchased in the last 2 years are dirextX10 compatible (yeah = better civ graphics)
A - Also you OS limits which directX. When you install DX, it installs all DX versions 9/10/10.1/11 etc. Then it is up to the OS to decide what the OS can handle. **more info http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-50ceb6d8fa8d
* XP = DirectX 9
* Vista = DirectX 9/10/10/10.1 and updated to 11 (although not confirmed)
* Windows 7 = DirectX11
Q - Other Known Issues?
A- Seems like some international people ex. Frenchies are having issue with accents in the usernames or computernames and thus file cant be found or load . So they are changing their names or setting up and english only (no accented characters) administrator account and installing steam and the game from there.
A - don't really know cause it doesn't affect me..??
Originally Posted by DocDire View Post
Same issue: sorry missed the original post so made my own topic but will re-post http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88026
Civ5 CRashes on Start - no joy DX9 or DX11
Been reading the forums on steam and here, but the of course tried it all and no joy. Frustration at pre-purchasing and waiting for month only to have crash.
Asus G51vx-a1 Laptop
Intel quad q9000
Nvidia 260M 1GB (dx10/11 card)
4 GB ram
Windows 7 E 64bit up to date (patched) as of this week
dropped screen resolution on step below to 1280 x 720 landscape bc text easier to read in native resolution. Thus NO increase of text DPI
Kapersky AV (disabled on game run)
Preloaded game in steam. Decrypted. Updates and run. Tried dx10/11. Opens and runs video and the at end of video screen turns black with music playing. System stays there with music playing indefinitely. Tried playing dx9. Intro video plays app crash on CivilizationV.exe .
* Steam --> properties -> local files --> verify integrity = 1 file corrupt and will download automatically
* Updated microsfts dx drivers to latest. June 2010?
* updated Nvidia drivers to latest beta 260.63_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_ beta Sept 2010.
* checked directxdiag to verify versions and updated.
- Fresh install from steam of civ5. Still file integrity issue, again.
RESULT = same crashes with same errors (See Below)
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CivilizationV.exe
Application Version: 22.214.171.124
Application Timestamp: 4c92b5f3
Fault Module Name: CivilizationV.exe
Fault Module Version: 126.96.36.199
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c92b5f3
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0042dc26
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Read our privacy statement online:
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
Thanks for your help. Please advise.
|09-22-2010, 05:39 PM||#56|
Join Date: Sep 2010
Update graphic drivers and Re-Install the DirexctX and c++
-If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."
-If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps (ignore these if you are using Windows 7 or Vista):
1) Exit Steam.
2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREVALVE
4) Right click and select "Permissions"
5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".
Then verify the GCF for this game:
Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Verifying the GCF solves many issues for most games.
If the issue persists, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.
Exit Steam entirely.
Browse to your Civilization V installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\)
Run the following installers:
...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\VCRedist\vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\DirectX\DXSetup.exe
Reboot your computer and test the issue again.
If you continue to have difficulty, please also run the following installer:
...\Steamapps\Common\sid meier's civilization v\DirectX\D3D11Install.exe
Reboot once more and test the issue again.
|09-22-2010, 05:41 PM||#57|
I've gone through four Dell laptops. Had an issue with one and while their support wasn't the best I got it RMAed and the screen replaced and never had another problem.
|09-22-2010, 06:33 PM||#58|
Civ will launch but all u get is the Direct x menu. I can select either option, and at that point it does nothing else….
Intel Core™ i3 CPU
4 gigs of ram
Geforce GTX 460 card
Windows 7 home 64Bit
Nothing I could do would run under Win 7. I booted in XP SP3, and want do you know, it works… in DirectX 9 obviously…
So is it a Win 7 home issue?
Who has civ running with this OS?
Only other issue worth noting is. I have Direct X 11, but if I run that program from the system requirements website, it reports I have DX 10??? Also, when I try to update my dx, it errors out with some crypo service error.
Maybe this will help someone, But until then Im stuck in DX9….