Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
eyematter

Fallout 3 won't start

I've been playing the game for about a week with no problems, but today the game Freezed during a loading screen, so i rebooted my machine. And when i went to fire the game up again, it wouldn't start... When i click on the Fallout 3 icon on my desktop, the Prepairing to Launch fallout 3 tab pops up and than i get to the Fallout 3 game menu, with the Options, Play, Options (game options), Data file, and Tech support. When i click on the PLay option, the menu goes away but than nothing happens. The First thing i did was copy all my save games to a folder in my documents. I un-installed the game, and ran the Steam game recovery that installed the game back on my PC, I tried to start it, but the same thing keeps happening, this is very weird. I have a ticket open, but we all know how long steam takes to get a response.... Its very Frustrating that steam doesn't have a Phone number you can call.. I guess its smart for them.. but its ty for the custmer that has to wait 3-5 days just to get an email...

Any of you guys got any ideas for me while i wait to hear from steam?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Animositisomina

Have you tried running the game directly, instead of through Steam?

Look here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3 goty\ (folder name may vary)

From there, try running Fallout3.exe in that folder. If that doesn't work, you can try running the game through FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager), found here. Both will bypass Steam. Might not help, but worth trying.

Last edited by Animositisomina: 09-21-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
eyematter

The only fallout3.exe file i see is just a security catalog.. is that what you want me to get at?

I'll try that other thing you mentioned
Old 09-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
eyematter

oh i think i found the fallout.exe.. but it was labled as such, but when i clicked on it a window poped saying--

Fallout4.exe - Unable to locate Component

This application failed to start becasue xlive.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem..

How ever i have re-installed it.. Twice... With no luck..

This whole thing is very odd, like i said I have been playing the game all week, with Zero Problems, and the game just freezed at a laoding screen.. and when i rebooted this nightmare started :*(
Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Animositisomina

I believe xlive.dll is related to Games For Windows Live. Did you recently uninstall or disable GFWL?
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
xav1353

Try uncheking "Enable steam community in game" via fallout propertie in Steam library.

If it still not working, you can try to disable Windows Live with this program.

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/1086/

Just check Steam chart agreement if you install this program since it deactivate Windows Live and it will never prompt you for your cdkey, it's kind of a hack.

Doing so, you will lose all your save game. To retrieve it, go in this file

C:\Users\#yourname#\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\Saves\#yoursteamname#

Copy the content the content and paste it here:

C:\Users\#yourname#\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\Saves
xav1353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
xav1353

Indeed you are right, it's a bump in a thread that's two years old and it is also a working solution for an unresolved thread for a bug that still exist which Steam haven't do anything to fix it. It's also the first result of google if you type "fallout 3 steam dont start". I don't care if a solution was already posted on this forum, if google can't find it, it's useless.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
xav1353

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of that but is this really a bump even if it was not an irrelevant comment ?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Fideous

Alright, go to your steam directory where Fallout resides, i.e.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty

Then go to Fallout3.exe and click properties. Select the compatability tab. Then select run this program in compatibity mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3. See if that helps.

--Fideous
Fideous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
xav1353

I got the same problem as eyematter and just tried Fideous fix. It's working great and you don't have do deactivate Windows live.

Thanks a lot
Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
pike

i'm not sure if steam is the same but the problem i believe your having is with "signin helper" the way i got it to work was to install the game , then when it asks if you want to play /view readme say no , restart , install/update xlive , install/update signin helper , install the game update and then your finally good to go , its been awhile since i had fo3 on my pc , but if u say no to "rungame now/read readme look in your progamefiles you'll see a program called signin helper (might be a little dif its been a while) thats the problem , at least for the non steam game , not sure if this is even realivant for steam , good luck
pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Fideous

Try setting your running file to Windows Vista if XP doesn't work. That was a recommendation from a Microsoft Software Engineer -- see link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-ed366b769f97

If you scroll down further, you see that there is a Youtube video on how to add a .dll file which seems to be missing for some people for the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GN5HbMsMVE

These two solutions seem to be the best.

--Fideous
Fideous is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series