Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 09-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
sfade

Civilization V Troubleshooting Thread

The following is courtesy of segmentnext.com, mirroring it here for Steam users. Link to direct article below.
http://segmentnext.com/2010/09/21/ci...y-tweak-fixes/

Civilization V Troubleshooting Tips

1# Civilization V Crashes and Poor Performance on ATI Cards
It is highly recommended that you have the latest Catalyst drivers for your card.
2# Crashes and Bad Performance on nVidia Cards
Updating your display drivers will help the cause.
3# Civilization V “Out of Memory” Error Fix
This is due to deficiency of your Video memory. So reducing the graphics to lower settings may help the cause. If it does not solve your problem then find this value in the config(ini) file, “HideOutOfVRamWarning” and set HideOutOfVRamWarning = 1 using notepad. This should remove the warning message.
4# Civilization V Error Code: -5009 : 0x8000ffff
There are 2 solutions for this one:
Clean out the temp folder. If you are not sure that what is the exact location of this folder then open command prompt and type “set temp” to see the path then go to that folder and delete all the files/folders within it.
Fix Corrupt Install Shield files. Go to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime

and delete or rename IsProBE.tlb then re-run the installer.
5# Civilization V Crashes on Startup, Skip Intro Movie
If your game keeps on crashing at the initial stages of the game like the start up screen or the first loading screen, you may want to try following workarounds.
1. Go to

“My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization 5\”

and open usersettings.ini in Notepad. About 15 lines down you will find “SkipIntroVideo = 0″. Make this value 1. This will skip the intro video and you will be directly enter to the game menu. Again, make sure that you have the latest drivers and you reboot the PC after driver install and editing the ini file.

2. Navigate to

Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier’s Civilization V/DirectX

and run Dxsetup.exe. if you are using Dx10/11, try running the game using DirectX 9 also upgrade your DirectX drivers.
6# Civilization V Crashes on Large Maps
It is most probably due to the fact that you have LOW memory (RAM). You can avoid crashes by terminating other process that might be consuming your memory.
7# Civilization V Black Screen Out of Range Error
1. Open the corresponding GraphicsSettingsDX9/DX11.ini file with a text editor. Look for the strings WindowResX and WindowResY.

2. If you want the game to run in 1024x768 resolution, change these values so that they read
WindowResX = 1024
WindowResY = 768
8# Unable to Load .dll file
Verify the integrity of the files.
9# Executed Civilization V executable, and nothing happened ?
Try running the game as admin, or in Windows XP SP2 compatibility.
10# Civilization V Failed to Launch
If you have tried launching the game after installation and nothing happens, any error occurs, you can try these workarounds to fix the launch issues of the game
1. Restart Steam.
2. Restart Computer.
3. Go the folder and launch the application directly.
4. Validate integrity of game cache.
If that Doesn’t work, try this.
Go the folder in your steam index/common/civilization v
delete the Type. file “srcds_run” and then re-validate the integrity of game cache.
11# Broken DirectX 10 DirectX 11 Launcher Fix
If you get DirectX error on running the launcher. In order to fix that go to properties of Steam.exe and ensure that ‘Compatability mode’ is turned off.
Click ‘Change settings for all users’ in order to un-grey the Compatibility mode, but after that everything will work perfectly fine.
12# Civilization V Multiplayer Connectivity Issues
(Nothing yet.)

13# Civilization V Random Lag Spikes
Experiencing random ping jumps and lag issues ?. ALT-TAB out of the game, go to taskbar>processes and see which processes are loading your processor and causing these spikes. Also make sure you meet the minimum requirements in order to play the game.
14# Civilization V Crashes When Opening Civlopedia
Run the game in DirectX 9 and it will resolve this issue.
16# Problems Starting Civilization V Demo
Try to play the demo in compatibility mode DirectX 9 and see if the game starts properly.
17# Game Won’t Install From Disc ? Requires Download From Steam
Some of the users have reported that the disc version of the game they bought requires download from steam. If you face this problem you can try deleting all the game files and re-install the game using setup.exe from the disk. Or you can refer to the tutorial below on how you can install the game from the disc instead of steam.

How to Use Steam launch options to install retail games from disc.
1. Log in to Steam and click on Library.
2. Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
3. Insert the first disc into your computer.
4. Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
5. Press Windows Key + R to open Run
6. In the Run window type:

“C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe” -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
7. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.
18# Anti Aliasing Doesn’t Work with DirectX 10/11
Playing the game in DirectX 10/11 ? some of you may experience no anti-aliasing whatsoever.
If you face this issue, go to GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini in your “My Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization V” folder and change “AllowLeaderAA” to “0″ to fix it.
19# DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11 Permanent Fix
Install “DXSetup.exe” from steamapps\common\sid meier’s civilization v\directx and it will resolve all your DirectX problems.
20# Can’t Save Games on Local Hard Drive
At your desktop, navigate to your “My Games” folder then to the “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5″ folder. Find the Config.ini file, right click and select “Edit”.

Scroll down to the section [Game], which is about 75% down the list. The third option under that is what you are looking for. It will look like this:

; Save Path – relative to working (Civ5) folder
FileName =

You need to put in the directory location of the “Saves” folder in the blank spot after FileName =

It should then look similar to this (check your own directory, it is different on different OS):

FileName = C:\Users\(Your Username)\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 5\Saves\

Save the Config.ini file after your modification and congrats now you will be able to save games on your local hard drive.
21# Civilization V Bonus Content and Sound Tracks Location
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier’s civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\Soundtrack
22# Crash Related to msvcr90.dll - Possible Solution posted by DocDire
Quote:
REPOST from: BigDen at Firaxis http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89837

Some users are reporting the following crash related to MSVCR90.dll:

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.17, time stamp: 0x4c9b9292
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.4926, time stamp: 0x4a1743c1
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00050fb6
Faulting process id: 0x17bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb5c8dbeeb0c53
Faulting application path: F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a\MSVCR 90.dll
Report Id: fcb6c811-c880-11df-9fa3-00248c8c9c04

Try the following to correct it:

Run the command "sfc /scannow" from a command window.

That is - go to start -> accessories -> command prompt, and write "sfc /scannow" there.

You need to have admin privileges to do so. If it doesn't work without, simply right click the shortcut to "Command prompt" and select "Run as administrator". (Assuming you run Win7. This might differ somewhat on older operating systems)

For more information on the sfc command, you can have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747
These are currently the major issues reported by users. If you face any other issue, share with us and we will try to resolve any issue faced by you.

Last edited by sfade: 10-02-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Joel

nice post man.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Zimby

didnt have a fix for my issue but its worth bumping up to help out fellows in need
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
sfade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimby View Post
didnt have a fix for my issue but its worth bumping up to help out fellows in need
Thanks, just trying to help out those who might run into a few common issues and want to get playing. Thankfully mines worked perfectly.
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Clawhammer

I know I've seen it posted on here a few days ago but I can't find it. I'm looking for a fix for flickering screen when the game loads the startup menu. I played the game fine the first time I launched it after downloading, but now I've got some crazy flickering and can't seem to fix it. Tried both dx versions, turned vsync on and off and nothing. Temps are fine, didn't go higher than 53C on both cards and it's driving me nuts.

Specs:
i5 750 stock
asus p7p55d pro
4gb gskill ripjaws
2 xfx 5770s xfired
antec 750w psu
w7 32 bit

Edit: nice post btw!

Last edited by Clawhammer: 09-23-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
sfade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
I know I've seen it posted on here a few days ago but I can't find it. I'm looking for a fix for flickering screen when the game loads the startup menu. I played the game fine the first time I launched it after downloading, but now I've got some crazy flickering and can't seem to fix it. Tried both dx versions, turned vsync on and off and nothing. Temps are fine, didn't go higher than 53C on both cards and it's driving me nuts.

Specs:
i5 750 stock
asus p7p55d pro
4gb gskill ripjaws
2 xfx 5770s xfired
antec 750w psu
w7 32 bit
Some possible fixes, in order from most functional to least.

1) Running in DX10/11 mode, you might try adjusting your tesselation settings and see if that helps (a reported fix for flicker in some cases).

2) You might try running in DX9 mode, for troubleshoot purposes (some have reported the flicker you describe does not happen anymore, no clear reason that I've seen, though in your case you've said you tried it already).

3) There have also been people having flickering problems with xfire and SLI, which I notice you are running crossfired. After the above steps fail, you might try running on a single card if you feel like it and observe the results.

Are you using Catalyst 10.9?

Last edited by sfade: 09-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Clawhammer

I'll try the tessalation suggestion, and if that doesn't work I'll try disabling xfire also. Also, I'm running version 1.0.0.17, and since my stepson last loaded the game, I'm not sure if it automatically patcehd or not as I'm sure he wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the quick response though!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
sfade

Quote:
I'll try the tessalation suggestion, and if that doesn't work I'll try disabling xfire also. Also, I'm running version 1.0.0.17, and since my stepson last loaded the game, I'm not sure if it automatically patcehd or not as I'm sure he wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the quick response though!
Let me know how it goes. I'd suggest, if you aren't able to fix it with tesselation settings, making sure the drivers for your 5770's are up to date. AMD released the Catalyst 10.9 drivers recently and they seem to work better with recent games.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Clawhammer

Tessalation didn't work, but disabling xfire did, which is kind of a bummer. It's weird that the game worked almost flawlessly right after installing, then have issues the 2nd, 3rd, etc. go round. I hope AMD fixes this soon...

Edit: Sorry forgot to reply to your ? but I'm using 10.9. I wonder if reverting to my old trusty 10.5 drivers would fix this. 10.5 was the sweetspot for my rig for some reason.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
sfade

You could try it, shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming to switch back to 10.9 if there's no difference.

At the very least, you can play with one card in the meantime (not that big of a performance hit for the game really).
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Calcographer

Quote:
Tessalation didn't work, but disabling xfire did, which is kind of a bummer. It's weird that the game worked almost flawlessly right after installing, then have issues the 2nd, 3rd, etc. go round. I hope AMD fixes this soon...

Edit: Sorry forgot to reply to your ? but I'm using 10.9. I wonder if reverting to my old trusty 10.5 drivers would fix this. 10.5 was the sweetspot for my rig for some reason.
Same here...everything after 10.5 created issues with various games I played. Currently using 10.9 and cannot get into the dx10/11 client (2 3870s crossfired).
Calcographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
CYfan24

Red face PLEASE HELP

Another civ game, another multiplayer problem.

When I connect or host multiplayer games in dx9 or dx11, my name shows up as "]" and everything I type in chat shows up as
"]" as well. Just one character, though, not a bunch of them.

Say I need to write "Help, Civ 5 is broken on day 1." It just shows up as "]"

As far as I know, I can still play multiplayer (albeit, with some graphical glitches - black grass, etc). And single player seems to work just fine (but who only wants to play SP...???)

Please help. I want to play this game with my friends. I was already screwed out of not playing IV because I had the disk version and they had the steam version...

Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
hellboy909

3# Civilization V “Out of Memory” Error Fix
This is due to deficiency of your Video memory. So reducing the graphics to lower settings may help the cause. If it does not solve your problem then find this value in the config(ini) file, “HideOutOfVRamWarning” and set HideOutOfVRamWarning = 1 using notepad. This should remove the warning message.

Lulz. This reminds me of that old pilot "Squawk Report" thing:

Problem - Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
Solution - Evidence removed.
hellboy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #14
Dr_House01

The demo worked fine for me with all the settings in high, and now with the full game, i played the tutorials very well but when i wanted to play a match, i got this crash:

AppName: civilizationv.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.17 ModName: msvcr90.dll
ModVer: 9.0.30729.4148 Offset: 00036d36

now i even cant open the game anymore because i get this crash ;S , i have an ati 4850 and the lastest catalyst 10.9, windows xp 32-bit, 4gb ram corsair, amd 9750 quad core proccessor,

cmon guys, wtf, first was the worms with the lightbulb bug, and now this.. i cant believe! the demo worked great for me, why im having now this issues? someone have same problem? someone know a fix? i also verify the game integrity around of 20 times and nothing happened... im running on directx9, also installed the DX installer from the CiV V folder..

thanks for all, i hope we are going to find a solution for this..
Dr_House01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #15
sfade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_House01 View Post
The demo worked fine for me with all the settings in high, and now with the full game, i played the tutorials very well but when i wanted to play a match, i got this crash:

AppName: civilizationv.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.17 ModName: msvcr90.dll
ModVer: 9.0.30729.4148 Offset: 00036d36

now i even cant open the game anymore because i get this crash ;S , i have an ati 4850 and the lastest catalyst 10.9, windows xp 32-bit, 4gb ram corsair, amd 9750 quad core proccessor,

cmon guys, wtf, first was the worms with the lightbulb bug, and now this.. i cant believe! the demo worked great for me, why im having now this issues? someone have same problem? someone know a fix? i also verify the game integrity around of 20 times and nothing happened... im running on directx9, also installed the DX installer from the CiV V folder..

thanks for all, i hope we are going to find a solution for this..
Looks like a runtime library error, from a quick glance. I've not much time left, but try this...

Navigate to the Steam install location on your drive, this folder specifically...
\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\VCRedist

Run the following install files located there:
vcredist_x86.exe

Reboot, try again and see if that resolves your issue.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series