Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
manbeef

Can't connect to Steam servers

So during the downtime last night I got booted off of Steam, and now I can't log back in. Every time I try it says:

"Could not connect to Steam network. This could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the Steam network."

I haven't changed anything with my internet setup, and I can still use Steam to change my password. I've tried deleting clientregistry.blob and reinstalling. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by manbeef: 09-23-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Timiditas

Same here, though that doesn't mean anything. The problem still could originate from our two Workstations.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/

Getting this on above link, so it looks like we can stop troubleshooting.
Quote:
Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

There was an error communicating with the network. Please try again later.

Last edited by Timiditas: 09-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Timiditas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Retro89

I can log into Steam but says No Connection at the bottom and no servers show up when in game.
Retro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
I-HaTeD2

Same here ...
Good to know that this is a general Problem.
I-HaTeD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
DustArma

Same, no connection can be made to the friends server.
Is there a maintenance routine scheduled for today?
DustArma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Retro89

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...784745&page=17

They took Steam down for a bit.
Retro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Centerdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeef View Post
So during the downtime last night I got booted off of Steam, and now I can't log back in. Every time I try it says:

"Could not connect to Steam network. This could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the Steam network."

I haven't changed anything with my internet setup, and I can still use Steam to change my password. I've tried deleting clientregistry.blob and reinstalling. Any other suggestions?
Same thing happened to me, and it did it this morning as well. Steam is down, and may be down again later. If you look at the graph bar for the online stats, you'll see that everyone has been kicked off as well. It should be up again soon.
Centerdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
manbeef

Well mine's been down for like 24 hours now. Yeah I know there have been some outages lately; I've been watching the stats graph too. I've also tried logging in when the graph reaches its apex and I still can't. Suggestions?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
manbeef

Alright Steam Support helped me out. Here's the solution that worked for me, in case anyone else comes across this problem:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it). Delete all of the files in this folder except: The Steamapps folder and Steam.exe (If 'exe' is not visible, look for the black and white Steam icon) Restart your computer. Then, you will need to launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut. With Steam running, re-test the original issue. Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games. If the issue persists, view the following article for further troubleshooting: Title: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...1456-EUDN-2493

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips