Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Zen of Sudoku

Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
nduanetesh

game problems

Anybody else having trouble with Zen of Sodoku lately? I just got a new laptop and noticed that when I try to go from windowed mode to full screen, it blacks out my screen and stays that way until I do an Alt-Tab to get to the desktop. I then have to kill Zen of Sodoku--it can't be restored. I thought this might just be a problem with my laptop until I just tried running it on my desktop, which used to run the game perfectly. I decided I didn't like the game I already had running, and went to the main menu to start a new game, and the window (running in windowed mode) went black, and my cursor started rapidly flashing between "busy" and the normal arrow.

Both computers are running windows 7 and, possibly more importantly, both are running ATI graphics. I suspect there's a problem with the ATI drivers.

Anybody else having troubles?

Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
yegiyan

same here..
i suspect the issue is similar to that which plagues plants vs zombies. PVZ used to work just fine with 3d enabled using catalyst drivers 10.5 or older.

It must be something about these low resolution games not being considered with the last 4 recent ATI driver releases.

i havent tried this yet, but willing to bet that installing catalyst 10.5(or older) will run the game like it used to. I'll post results if/when i try it.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
jnfenrir

What yegiyan said is absolutely correct. I reverted from Catalyst 10.9 down to 10.5, and now Zen of Sudoku works perfectly.

For the record, 10.8, 10.7 and 10.6 all give the same problem. 10.5 is the newest version available that doesn't.

Also for the record, it's a common misconception that one should always use the latest drivers. As any experienced IT person will tell you, this is absolutely false. In actuality, one should always use the drivers that work without problems.
jnfenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
exdeld

For me it happened with Catalyst 10.7->10.9, 10.6 worked and 10.10 & 10.11 both cause no problems with the game.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
nduanetesh

Yeah, I just finally updated to 10.12 from 10.9 and ZoS is working again! Woohoo!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Zen of Sudoku