Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders

Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Renholder

Solution for keyboard/360 controller problems

Hey everybody, just wanted to post a solution for those of you experiencing problems with the Xbox360 controller not working correctly or their keyboard being unusable due to the game detecting a controller.

So. First thing you'll need to do is go here

http://forum.jayceooi.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=103

And download the xinputemu3.zip

GO ahead and extract that to it's own folder.

Now. For those of you who want to use your keyboard but the game constantly detects a controller even if you don't have one here's what you need to do:

One of the files in the extracted folder is called dinput8.dll
Take that file and copy it into the Darksiders installation directory. Voila. That should do it for you.

For those of you whom are having problems getting your wired xbox360 controller to work correctly. You will need to move THREE files into the Darksiders install directory.

dinput8.dll
xbox360cemu.ini
xinput9_1_0.dll

This worked for me on Windows7 ultimate.
Go ahead and give it a try. Or wait for an official patch, etc.

Last edited by Renholder: 09-23-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Changed file names to bold font.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
waxthirteen

for starters, this has been discussed here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1441092 putting the dinput8.dll file in the directory should only be done if you don't want the game to detect your controller. if i put all 3 files in there, i get no option for a controller of any kind. therefore, only the other 2 you mentioned should be used.

second, this still doesn't work for me. i'm putting this game aside till they release a patch and honestly, i'm not going to hold my breath for that.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
waxthirteen

I stand corrected. The file you directed us to still doesn't work for me, but if I use this one http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php...download&id=44
and add the dinput8.dll file as you suggested, it almost works. I can finally use the controller in game and the button mapping seems to be correct, however now my right analog stick won't work at all! Perhaps I can edit the ini file some and try to fix it.
At any rate, thank you for putting me on the right track and I apologize for my previous post made in haste.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Renholder

It's cool man. If you check the readme it will show you that sometimes you need multiple DLLs or to edit setting to get things to work. Simply putting those three in the folder worked for me but everyone's system is different.

Make sure that using XInputTest.exe that comes in the rar all the buttons are recognized on the controller.

DInput8 only hides the controller from being auto detected by the game forcing emulation through XInputEmu instead of say the system joystick controller.

That alone makes it so that people can use a keyboard because for some reason the game autodetects a controller for a lot of people who don't even have one. Most likely it's detecting other higher tiered HID's like specialized mice or keyboards as well.

That's why I specified putting that in alone for proper keyboard inputs.

Let us know if you end up fixing your problems. Just trying to help.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
waxthirteen

Finally got it working! I found this file http://rapidshare.com/files/420637634/rumblepad.rar which is basically the same stuff from above, but configured to work specifically with my controller (Rumblepad2).

For those who are having this problem and don't have a rumblepad2, DL this file http://virusdev.ovh.org/files/xinput...%203.1.4.1.zip

and then follow these instructions (stolen from another forum):
put the 3 files in your darksiders folder then open your hardware manager, and search for HID-compliant game controller or however your pad is called, rightclick-> details -> properties: from the drop down menu -> Hardware ID
there should be the VID&PID of your pad (VID_XXX & PID_XXX)
now open the x360ce.ini in your gamefolder, and search for VID und PID and write yours there, for example VID_246D & PID_642D so i write them like that:
VID : 0x246D
PID : 0x642D
save the file, and run the xinput.exe check your pad input there you can edit the buttons in the ini if something is not right there.

This was not necessary for me since the first file I linked is preconfigured for my controller, but others might find it useful.

Now to play this game... finally!

Last edited by waxthirteen: 09-23-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
tet666

Here is the Mainpage of the x360ce projekt: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/wiki/MainPage
the versions linked above are very old and outdated, get the new version from the projektpage it has a config programm now and is way easyer too handle no more VID&PID searching and ini fiddling to bind the buttons.
tet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Hagaspar

I used original posters solution and works like a charm! Thanks SO MUCH!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #8
Vriess

Going to reinstall Windows anyway but I can verify that IT WORKS!!
THANKS!!
Hopefully Vigil Games and THQ will bring out a patch soon rendering the workaround unnecessary.
Vriess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Legacyfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxthirteen View Post
for starters, this has been discussed here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1441092 putting the dinput8.dll file in the directory should only be done if you don't want the game to detect your controller. if i put all 3 files in there, i get no option for a controller of any kind. therefore, only the other 2 you mentioned should be used.
I want to point out that this simply isn't true

I am using my PS3 controller, being re-emulated to a wireless 360 controller using MotionInJoy, and i had looked at that thinking he might have been on something.

I tried just the 2 files and they didn't work, so AT LEAST try the 3 to see if they worked for you, they did for me
Legacyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
LOulOo

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
For those of you who want to use your keyboard but the game constantly detects a controller even if you don't have one here's what you need to do:

One of the files in the extracted folder is called dinput8.dll
Take that file and copy it into the Darksiders installation directory.
Hi
I want to use me keyboard and mouse, but the game constantly detects a controller...

and this solution does not work for me

i'm running Seven 64 bits, and the game with Steam.

- i can't overwrite dinput8.dll in windows/system32 directory (refused by system)
- i can't write dinput8.dll into the Darksiders installation directory, because i've a Steam game version.... dans there is no game installation directory in that case...

Help me please
Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Kimori

(SteamInstallDir)\steamapps\common\darksiders
Kimori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
LOulOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimori View Post
(SteamInstallDir)\steamapps\common\darksiders
YYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS it works grat thanks !
Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
GamingGodX6

Banned
Note for many the xbox 360 pad emulator will cause the game to crash.
GamingGodX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Dirtman73

Banned
Thanks, Renholder, the solution you posted worked perfectly!

I wonder if it would have the same effect with Dead Space...
Dirtman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Vriess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman73 View Post
Thanks, Renholder, the solution you posted worked perfectly!

I wonder if it would have the same effect with Dead Space...
Have you tried it yet with Dead Space? Would be sweet if there were a fix for that dreadful mouse lag.
Vriess is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders