Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Basilisk Games

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 10-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
jackgouber

Steam is a bunch of liars

You should all know that steam holds out on updates for certain games, then claims they don't have the update. For those of you who bought Eschalon Book 2 from steam don't count on timely updates for the game, as version 1.04 has been out for 4 months and basilisk games confirms that they provided the update to steam, they have been sitting on the update for 4 months. 1.05 is already coming out, and yet my version of the game is still 1.03. I used to buy a lot of games from steam, but from now on I will only be downloading demos, and if I want to buy the game I will be going to another source for the game.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
epsylon_Z1

Banned
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1442717
epsylon_Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
jackgouber

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsylon_Z1 View Post
heh thanks for the link, it just proves that not only do they lie, but they ignore people's protest on their own forums!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Ganger

Steam doesn't lie as Steam is just a program and not a person. Think you should send in a support ticket and find out whats going on with this patch.
Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
epsylon_Z1

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganger View Post
Think you should send in a support ticket and find out whats going on with this patch.
quoting the last post

http://basiliskgames.com/forums/view...p=36459#p36459

Quote:
"Hello Bill, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Patches for third party games can only be distributed through Steam once the following two actions have occurred: (1) The Publisher has provided us with the necessary files (2) The Publisher has given us permission to release the update The latest patches will be released as soon as possible, and will be downloaded automatically when available. If you have questions about the availability of a specific patch, please contact the support department for the game in question. Your patience is appreciated, please let us know if you have any other questions. "
epsylon_Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
IceP42

Quote:
Steam doesn't lie as Steam is just a program and not a person. Think you should send in a support ticket and find out whats going on with this patch.
Second that
Old 10-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
real4xor

:/ from what I read on those forums...

1. they got the files.
2. they got the permission.
3. ???
4. game patched (still waiting for point 3 to conclude?)

Also read that the .05 patch is coming out soon, so... :/ I dunno, maybe they`re waiting for that one and fix everything in one go?

Last edited by real4xor: 10-19-2010 at 03:53 PM.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
jackgouber

Quote:
I did send in a support ticket a week ago, and have still not heard anything from them, and Steam is collectively the company. They are liars, because they claim they never received the upgrade from basilisk games, but as I stated they did four months ago.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Seth.Sekhmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgouber View Post
I did send in a support ticket a week ago, and have still not heard anything from them, and Steam is collectively the company. They are liars, because they claim they never received the upgrade from basilisk games, but as I stated they did four months ago.
You should know, the updates for steam version of games is not the same as for retail game. It needs to be tweaked for various reasons.

Just because the publisher said the patch was sent doesn't mean this happened. Valve (steam) has absolutely NO REASON to hold back on updates/patches. Why would they do that ?

You said you sent in a support ticket. Now you should calm down and wait to receive an answer. Or continue this discussion, but please change your attitude a bit.
Seth.Sekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
lordofterror

yeah you should understand that steam games do require any cd's/dvd's just the steam drm to run so just installing any patch would screw up the game
lordofterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth.Sekhmet View Post
Just because the publisher said the patch was sent doesn't mean this happened. Valve (steam) has absolutely NO REASON to hold back on updates/patches. Why would they do that ?
QFT.

Steam is pretty much the biggest supporter of indie developers in the entire industry.

Something is fishy about this whole situation.
neuromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
jackgouber

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
QFT.

Steam is pretty much the biggest supporter of indie developers in the entire industry.

Exactly which was my sole purpose of starting this thread, because there is something fishy about this, and on a day that everyone is congratulating steam for their sales and whatnot people should know that they are selling games $30 for Eschalon Book 2, and not providing service for said games, regardless of how obscure the title, they shouldn't be selling the game if they can't support it, by providing updates in a timely manner as they come out.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
chopstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth.Sekhmet View Post
It may not be purposeful though. Valve and the Steam service are growing, and it could be the result of an oversight, or any number of reasons. This does not change the point though. The company has sent a patch, and the hold up is on Valve's end. For what reason, purposeful or not, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
QFT.

They are only supporters of indie devs they want to support. All people seem to notice are the success stories, but not the many stories of indie devs having to struggle to get Valve to even notice them. Games have often been turned away with no reason given according to developers, and only tend to be accepted if other services pick the game up first (Recettear, Gratuitous Space Battles, etc). Din's Curse is a game with a loyal following, and is still being rejected by Valve with no excuse, along with others.

Awesome indie support.
chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
alex2142hp

i love steam
Old 10-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix View Post
They are only supporters of indie devs they want to support. All people seem to notice are the success stories, but not the many stories of indie devs having to struggle to get Valve to even notice them.
Even the supported devs with the success stories note that it's hard to communicate with Valve. At least, they did 12 months ago.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Basilisk Games