Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 09-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
TheMorbidAtheis

MODS are not working - CIV 5

...........................................-------------------------------------------....I may be missing something here, but I've spent about an hour trying to run the only mod that I really needed - that is the True Starting Locations of civilizations mods

I've looked at the guide which explained what to do, the problem is that the "INSTALLED" directory in the mods menu in Civ 5 does NOT display any mods that I have successfully downloaded. That way, these mods that I downloaded do not get displayed.

Therefore, I havent been able to play Civ 5 since it came out and couldn't write a proper Gamespot review of it because I can only play with true historic starting locations. I hate random, made up maps.

anyways, just wanted to know if anyone had similar problems. I've surfed the net and haven't found anything.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Gekkebori

I have the same problem.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
Hack Scudder

This confused me at first too, but then I found out that after you download them, you have to click the "install mods" button in the "installed" tab before they'll show up there.

You then have to start your game and also load your saved games from the Mods menu for the mods to take effect in your game.
Hack Scudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
TheMorbidAtheis

"This confused me at first too, but then I found out that after you download them, you have to click the "install mods" button in the "installed" tab before they'll show up there."

right

the button "install mods" ONLY appears ONCE when I run the game for the first time. Once I click it, I get a circle indicating loading in the middle of the screen for a fraction of a second and then...nothing.

no mods, the "install mods" button disappears and I am back to square one. I cant believe they couldnt include a proper scenario editor like in Civ 3.
TheMorbidAtheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
Ahi

this happens if you dont have the game installed on C:\

you need to extract the mods manually
Ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #6
Raggz

I have the same problem. Steam installed on H: instead of C:.
I have no install button and mods don't appear. Will try above suggestion and extract manually. How did this one pass the beta test? :P

Update: Used winrar and manually extracted the mods. Worked just fine

Last edited by Raggz: 09-26-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Raggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #7
Nitrius

If the game/steam is installed to another location than C: there seems to be a little problem with the mods extracting properly. So as mentioned above you can do it manually.

A bit better explanation is found here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89645
Nitrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
TheMorbidAtheis

"this happens if you dont have the game installed on C:\

you need to extract the mods manually "

Ok, so the MODS are located at My Documents/My Games/Sid Meither's Civilization V, now does anyone know where the mods should be placed in the install directory? thanks in advance!

Last edited by TheMorbidAtheis: 09-26-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Aesir Rising

The downloaded ones go to:
..\[My] Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\

the documents folder name varies with operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorbidAtheis View Post
... does anyone know where the mods should be placed in the install directory?
Unzip (use 7-zip for example) the mod you downloaded within the same folder the mod exists. It will be in a mods subfolder, as mentioned above. According to others, that's all you need to do. I don't why unzipping works. I've not tested it. But see if it does.

As for editing installed files in-place, you can do exactly that - edit them in place. But you risk having changes overwritten with game patches or if you need to verify the GCF in Steam. Specifically to your question, I thought there was already a mods folder in the installation path. However, I don't see it now - so I'll assume I mixed that up with the DLC folder that I do see.

Last edited by Aesir Rising: 09-26-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
TheMorbidAtheis

Thanks a lot Aesir Rising!

Its working now. Now I can actually play the damn game.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
darthpingoo

I hope this bug will be fixed quickly.
darthpingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Ciiiv

This isn't working for me.

I have steam on the E drive and am running win 7 and have located my documents folder in C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

I downloaded a scenario mod in the in-game browser. It then shows up in this folder as random letters/numbers like hash. In game I click on install mods and it makes the folder in \MODS. The enable button is checked. Didn'tt work. Deleted the folder that it just created and downloaded the mod again (the initial file disappeared after clicking install mod in game.) Extracted the downloaded file to \MODS and it looks just like it did when the game installed it for me. No luck. What am i missing? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
ozie

Thumbs down You are not the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciiiv View Post
This isn't working for me.

I have steam on the E drive and am running win 7 and have located my documents folder in C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

I downloaded a scenario mod in the in-game browser. It then shows up in this folder as random letters/numbers like hash. In game I click on install mods and it makes the folder in \MODS. The enable button is checked. Didn'tt work. Deleted the folder that it just created and downloaded the mod again (the initial file disappeared after clicking install mod in game.) Extracted the downloaded file to \MODS and it looks just like it did when the game installed it for me. No luck. What am i missing? Thanks.
It seems like I have the same problem. This is really annoying. In civ 4 I only played mods and I bought civ 5 during christmas just to play some intresting looking mods. As Im not really intrested in vanilla and this has left me with civ 5 I dont want to play at all.
ozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
johnc214

I had to reformat my Win 7 computer. I fully backed up all my files first. When I load Steam now, I see my scenerios I made are still installed, but the associated map isn't. I see the map in the My Games/Civ5 folder, but they don't seem to be installed. I can't figure out how to get the game to use those maps now. Any ideas?
johnc214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Larret

Exclamation

This should be definitely be fixed!
Larret is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series