Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life

Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
DarkIce

Exclamation Half-Life 1 - High Definition Guide

Half-Life 1 - High Definition Guide:

Like my other guide "Half-Life 1 - Complete Lost Packs Guide", this comprehensive yet easy to follow guide gives you step-by-step instructions on how to download and install high quality textures, weapons and models, vastly improving your Half-Life experience!
.....It is highly recommended to install these packs, as they more than quadruple the number of polygons in the characters and weapons and double them from the official HD pack; the high quality textures are also much improved.

Important Notes:

• These packs will only work with the Steam and retail versions of Half-Life, Half-Life Blue Shift (with Blue Shift: Unlocked) or Half-Life Opposing Force - they will not work with Half-Life: Source or Half-Life Deathmatch: Source.
• In order to extract the packs below, you will need an archive manager like WinRar (paid) or 7zip (free).

• You must uninstall the offical HD pack if you wish to install any of the other packs in this guide (the SD pack is much higher quality).
• Remember, if open you must restart Steam after installing the pack(s) for the mod(s) to appear in your games list/library.

• NB: In order to use all of the high definition models, you will need to install all packs in the order below. You should first install the Super Definition Pack (SD Pack), then the Half-Life Overhaul Pack and finally thee DiamonD Half-Life Pack in order to use as many high quality models as possible. This is because the SD Pack (although lower in quality) and the Half-Life Overhaul Pack both contain models that the DiamonD Pack does not. All of the packs are significantly higher quality than the normal Half-Life models, weapons and textures.

Super Definition Pack (SD Pack):

The Super Definition pack is an add-on taken directly from the official PlayStation 2 version, ported for the Original Half-Life, Half-Life: Blue Shift (with with Blue Shift: Unlocked), and Half-Life: Opposing Force. It also works with all of the other packs below and offers improved character models for all of the NPC's in these games; more than quadrupling the number of polygons in the characters; doubling them from the official HD pack - the characters actually have fingers now! It also improves all of the weapons with far higher quality versions.

Downloads:

Super Definition Pack.

Pack Instructions:

• Extract the file;
• Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve".

• For Blue Shift ensure you have with Blue Shift: Unlocked, then Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life blue shift\valve".
• For Opposing Force: Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\opposing force\valve".

Pack Credits: Enfield.

Half-Life Overhaul Pack

The Half-Life Overhaul Pack is a high-quality replacement pack for the original Half-Life models and sounds. This pack includes a collection of many other packs of high quality weapons, models, vehicles and aliens.

Downloads:

Half-Life Overhaul Pack.

Pack Instructions:

• Extract the file;
• Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve".
• For Opposing Force: Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve".

Pack Credits: Qwertyus.

DiamonD Half-Life Pack

The Diamond Half-Life is a Super Definition Pack for Half-Life, replacing a wide selection of models, sprites, sounds. it also provides full Single and Multi-Player support for the default Half-Life one game, greatly improving the basic files of the original game. This pack was designed for Steam Users, but many of it's files can be used for the WON version.

• Note: This pack comes with a custom HUD and crosshairs. To remove them, ensure you only have "640hud1", "640hud4" and "muzzleflash1" in the following folder: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve\sprites".

Downloads:

DiamonD Half-Life Pack.

Pack Instructions:

• Extract the file;
• Place the contents of the entire archive into: "\steamapps\steamusername\".
• In the "valve" folder, find the "liblist.gam." This file allows botplay, but unfortunately disables single player. In order to play each time you must rename this file (you may add [1] before ".gam" to stop the file from being used) and then rename the file to its original name to be able to play with bots.

• In order to use the bots, create your own server and load bots by typing "rcbot addbot" in your server.

Pack Credits: DiamonD.

Extra: High Quality Footsteps & Weapon Sounds

Taken from Half-Life 2, this pack improves the sounds of the weapons and footsteps with higher quality versions.

Downloads:

High Def Sounds.

Pack Instructions:

• Extract the file;
• Place the folder "player" and all the sound files into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve\sound\weapons".

• For Blue Shift ensure you have with Blue Shift: Unlocked, then Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life blue shift\valve".
• For Opposing Force: Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\opposing force\valve".

Pack Credits: Stu-Pidaso.

Guide Credits:

This guide was written from scratch by me (DarkIce). Please do not copy or modify this guide anywhere without explicit permission from, and giving credit to, me.

Also special thanks to VALVe and Gearbox Software for making such great games; credit of which the original version of the SD pack goes to.

Feedback and rep is welcome.

Last edited by DarkIce: 05-07-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Fixed mistakes; Added Half-Life Overhaul Pack; Added Blue Shift & Opposing Force information; Added important information
Old 10-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
papapatoto

for the super defenition pack how do i put it into my opposing force folder
Old 10-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
Wookiee

Do they work with the mac version, out of curiosity?
Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
DarkIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapatoto View Post
for the super defenition pack how do i put it into my opposing force folder
Added info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
There is no Mac version of Half-life 1 (although it - along with the DreamCast version - was essentially completed, but never commercially released).

Last edited by DarkIce: 05-07-2011 at 12:36 PM.
DarkIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Vonje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
Mac version
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Hive Mind

If SD is applied to Opposing Force or Blue Shift... will they still have Gordon's HEV hands?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
ChosenOne54

Banned
Is this for Half-Life or Half-Life: Source?
ChosenOne54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
DirectVic

Not bad.
DirectVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Macic

Bump.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
honeysuckle

Hey, I've just bought the Half-Life 1 Anthology and I'm having problems installing the SD pack into Half-Life. The problem is specifically with this instruction: "Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve\models""

There is no "models" folder and I can't find where all the current models that I need to replace are. Any suggestions?

Thanks
honeysuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Blue Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysuckle View Post
Hey, I've just bought the Half-Life 1 Anthology and I'm having problems installing the SD pack into Half-Life. The problem is specifically with this instruction: "Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve\models""

There is no "models" folder and I can't find where all the current models that I need to replace are. Any suggestions?

Thanks
I just did this myself. Make sure you've run the game at least once...I remember that I didn't even have a Half-life directory until I had run the game.

Once the Half-Life directory is there, you should have a models directory in the valve directory.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
honeysuckle

Cheers - still no models directory like, but I just put the stuff into the Valve folder and that seems to have worked.
honeysuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
ThunderPeel2001

Great idea for a guide, but there's loads of mistakes in it.

Quote:
• Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve\models".
• For Opposing Force: Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve\models".
Should read:

Quote:
• Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\half-life\valve\".
• For Opposing Force: Place the contents of "HEV" into: "\steamapps\steamusername\opposing force\valve\".
ThunderPeel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
hawkshadow741

the PS2 and Half-life: Day One games had "tilting" when you strafed
and the HEV and Med stations had moving models

When THAT gets incorporated into Half-life: Source...THEN I will be happy

sucks that the Med station and HEV chargers aren't actual models though
hawkshadow741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
fallacy

so i installed the super definition pack but now everything is really glitchy especially the sounds how do i fix that
fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life