Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Front Mission Evolved

Old 09-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
saturns2k

Choppy framerate

For some reason, I have very choppy frame rate in various area in game. In some area, when I view at certain angle, it becomes so choppy that it's nearly unplayable. It's keep going the boundary where it's smooth to choppy. It's not smooth in average, but there are few area that it does hit near 60 but when it drops, it drops hard.

I tried nearly every graphic option that this game allow me to change like texture quality, shader, v-sync, shadow, and you name it. It does improve some, but it's generally not helping enough for me to run in silk smooth frame rate. and it still hits unplayable framerate in some area.

I tried to enable SLI forcely with Nvidia control panel, but it didn't help much... besides it seems like game never fully use my GPU at all (single GPU and SLI ).

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who have this issue, or game has terrible optimization in general. Anyone have inconsistant framerate problem, let me know.

My spec is
Intel i7 920 2.66GHZ @ 3.32GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 SLI
RAM 6GB

*** You can try this to improve if you have problem ***

NVIDIA CARD OWNER
This is not the ultimate fix, but it does improve heckofalot better.
Now I run 55 average with 30~80 framerate, there are bit of a spot that does lag a bit but it never hit anywhere to unplayable like before.What I did was to delete 3D stereoscopic driver I installed for my 258.96 driver. That I mean 3D vision driver. (And yes.. I have it) That fixed issue so much that now I can actually play rather smoothly. It's not silky smooth by any means, (like constant 60) but it usually hit that level except several spots. I guess it kinda conflicted with 3D stereoscopic driver somehow. I was about to install new beta driver, and I delete stereoscopic driver first before actual existing driver. I just felt like trying before I delete 258.96 but it worked now

I still think it's not too optimized... I guess there are more problem, but at least I can actually play this with enjoyable framerate.

Last edited by saturns2k: 09-29-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Can possibly give solution for thread's problem.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Delphidelion

Don't you need two GPUs to perform the SLI?

I use it, but I do have two of the same GPUs.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
saturns2k

Yes. I do have two GTX 480. I thought you know I have two when I put SLI at the end. Anyway, it don't matter much in terms of performance when I turn it on or not, it's still unplayably choppy on many specific parts of the game, and general bad frame rate unless there's nothing much to render.
saturns2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Delphidelion

Do you have your SLI set up for multi or single screen play? The only other thing I can thing to suggest is dropping six hundred on a better pair of SLI. My machine runs the game fluidly at max resolution/AA(I'll post my specs when I get off work here in a bit).
Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Random Name

Im running phenom 2 x4 3.4oc
gtx 260

I get 100+ fps bc2 (as a benchmark)
this game is poorly optimized (60+ just like u, but when it drops it drops harrrddd; and im running on lowest setting w/my native res)
Random Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #6
saturns2k

// Delphidelion
I set that up for single screen, since I only use one screen. It's quite clear that SLI is not the problem. I tried with and without SLI, performance was bad either way, thought SLI did help little. Think of it as twice of bad frame rate is still bad. It's already terrible on single GPU, so I don't think SLI could've help much on this matter. Besides, it's not even on by default, so i used that force alternate frame rendering.
// Random Name
That's what happens to me too. It's fine for a second, but it drops hard. Smooth and choppyness every second is not the way I want to play this game...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
SVoyager

Same thing here. Seems like the game tries to render evrything in a specific direction without considering the fact that what it wants to render might or might not be visible at all. So if the entire map tries to get displayed when it shouldnt, it might bring our fps down.

Or maybe something else. I have a GTX 460 here, and from what the graphics looks like in this game, the FPS is defenatly too low. Other much more detailed games will run much smoother.

Could be a driver issue or bugs/bad programming of the game.
SVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Delphidelion

well, I'm running with the following:

The i7 (870 @ 2.93 GHz 2GHz)
8GB RAM
Dual GeForce GX 285 (SLI single monitor)

Like I said,I'm getting solid performance,even with 4 Wanzers explodng in my face.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
saturns2k

// Dephidelion
damn... it's hard to decide at this moment, but game may not work good with 400 series then... I hate to ask more to be sure, but there isn't much place to ask about this game...
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
SVoyager

i agree, considering that delphi doesnt have any trouble with his 285 sli setup, a driver issue with the 400 series could be the problem. I think that the next set of drivers might come out soon so we might see (or maybe someone wants to try the latest beta. I tend to wait for the official whql ones tho).
Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
CrazyRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVoyager View Post
i agree, considering that delphi doesnt have any trouble with his 285 sli setup, a driver issue with the 400 series could be the problem. I think that the next set of drivers might come out soon so we might see (or maybe someone wants to try the latest beta. I tend to wait for the official whql ones tho).
Well, the issue isn't exclusive to 400 series cards, cause I'm having the same problem with my GTX 275 sli setup. I'm running the latest WHQL 258.96 drivers, because the latest betas BSOD on my system. It's weird that it'll run fine, and even in 3d, then suddenly the frame rate drops to single digits. I'm actually stuck on the first level you do on foot because performance is so bad
Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
saturns2k

So you think this is newest driver issue?
Delphi what version of Nvidia driver do you use?
I am 258.96 just like crazyrob. This is latest driver after all.
I'm bit worried, because Square Enix is not a fan of patching their games, especially for PC.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
SVoyager

Well now considering that crazyrob has a 200 series card, it doesnt seem to be limited to 400 cards then. So maybe this driver version could be problematic. I am also running the 258.96.

Delphi, are you on those too??

(so far, i've been able to have "somewhat" playable with the minimum graphics settings lol but its too ugly and im just not going any further cuz im not gonna enjoy it with these graphics.)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
fugensnot

Not nVidia

Actually, I'm relieved to see that a lot of you guys are getting the same problem as myself, despite running on nVidia. I'm actually suffering from the exact same problem and I'm on an ATI HD5800 Crossfire set up. So I doubt it is actually nVidia that's screwing you guys about. I've tried everything from windowed mode*, lowest display settings and lower resolutions

*To do windowed mode, go to My Documents->Front Mission Evolved->Open graphics.cfg and set fullscreen=0
Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
dmu_702

I don't know guys, I'm running GrForce GTX480 w/259.31 beta I7980 8gig ram mine is runnin' smooth. <<<D>>>

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Front Mission Evolved