Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
SmilinWolf

Can Civ 5 be played off line?

I bought this game hoping it to be at least as good as Civs of old, of which I am the proud owner of all of them.

However I am beset by constant crashes, slow texture mapping, and it seems, the inability to play the game unless connected to steam?

Is this correct?

The game box clearly states: Initial installment requires one-time internent connection for Steam authentication; software installations required include Steam Client .....

Also written into a file on the DVD is :
"The first time you play Civ V, an active Internet connection will be required. Any time thereafter, you will not need to have an active connection to the Internet, unless of course you wish to play any Multiplayer games."

How is it that I cannot play the game offline... or am I missing something obvious???

A call out to the "patchers"; Please fix the crashing bugs pronto.. I am nearly ready to return this game as "broken"
Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
EagleOne

Banned
I was not able to start the game without having Steam installed. So yes, I guess you NEED internet and cannot play it offline.

Last edited by EagleOne: 09-29-2010 at 08:42 AM.
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
ontheleftcoast

Actually, you only need Steam (and an internet connection) to register the game. Once it is registered, unless you want to play multiplayer, you can easily play offline. I do it at the park while my son if at soccer practice so I know it's possible. It gives you some annoying warning about not having all the great benefits of Steam but you can play just fine without it.
ontheleftcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
SmilinWolf

Thanks for your reply. Do you go offline on Steam prior to disconnecting from the internet? Every time I start Civ 5 it auto starts Steam. When I try to close Steam it says ERROR- closing Civ 5.

Please tell me how you are doing it... do you have an option if you are connected to the internet, to have Steam not running?
SmilinWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Paxy

You need to have Steam running in offline mode.
Paxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
BaronSengir

And to go into offline mode you have to start steam in online mode first...
Thats how you have to do it nowadays..and yes it sucks. So no offline Gaming Machine
Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Paxy

I managed to load steam in offline mode without being connected to the internet on my laptop on Saturday... yet I don't seem to be able to replicate that on my PC. Weird.
Paxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Zero1020

Banned
You can download a crack that disables the need for steam if you really need to play offline.
Zero1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
BaronSengir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxy View Post
I managed to load steam in offline mode without being connected to the internet on my laptop on Saturday... yet I don't seem to be able to replicate that on my PC. Weird.
If you shut down your steam while its in offline mode its starts that way again. But never ever forget to check. Or never ever go online again Thats the whole magic behind it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
BaronSengir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1020 View Post
You can download a crack that disables the need for steam if you really need to play offline.
Yeah...to play the game unfixed unpatched and unplayable. Great thing ^^
Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
SmilinWolf

Thankyou... OK I am new to Steam (obvious huh), I would have thought a game that is memmory hungry, it would not need to run another program that I dont absolutely need. Even offline, it starts the Steam program to show me that it is not connected.

I have now played offline, so I can play if the internet goes down.

Once again, cheers for the replies.

Regards
SmilinWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Wallace666

Whenever i start Steam without an active internet connection i get a dialogue asking if i wanted to start in offline mode. So, no problems with playing offline here...
Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
Trekkiegrrrl

Also just in case someone was wondering. If you do start up in online mode (say on a laptop somewhere) you can safely turn off the internet once the game is started and it will run. This is with a downloaded (not DVD version) of Civ5 btw.
But I haven't been able to start it with Steam in Offline mode though. Perhaps that is because it's the downloaded version? (sure takes up enough space on the puter so you'd think it is all there?!) but once the game is runnuing it doesn't mind the internet going poof.
Trekkiegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series