Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Madmanden

Install all games

I just got a new harddrive setup and i need to reinstall all my 173 steam games. xD Is there any way to download all of them at the same time instead of installing one game at a time. I have a 60mbit connection so it wouldn't take so long if it werent for me having to install them all manually.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
ASecondOpinion

'fraid not.

Make the task less mindless by downloading the games you're more likely to play sooner, and then slowly merge into the ones you won't play much. As in: Don't download them all now.

I know you have a fast connection, but presing Install, Next, etc etc 173 times would get rather tedious
ASecondOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
nerocon

A bit risky (I don't think I would trust it) but if your desperate and trust your AVP I would bet there are torrents out there for the steam files for almost every game. Its not piracy if you own a license for it. I bet there are even torrent's that have multiple games. Just make sure you get the game assets, and the gcf files and they get put into the right directory. Some want to be under "common" some want to be under your steamusername.

I use this same method to backup all my steam games onto external drives, or bring a demo to work/friends etc. Instead of backing up the entire steam folder. I have a "steam games" directory with a subdirectory inside for each game. Each game directory has a readme telling me where the game assets have to go, and the gcf's and assets. Copy them over to the right place and start/restart steam and bam.
nerocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
Blayze

Probably best we don't have an Install All Games button anyway--at least on my PC, Steam tends to get slower the more games it's trying to install at once. Best to stick to a couple at a time.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerocon View Post
A bit risky (I don't think I would trust it) but if your desperate and trust your AVP I would bet there are torrents out there for the steam files for almost every game.
How is tracking down the torrent, downloading it, extracting it, putting it in the folder and verifying it within the steam client, a 173 times, less work than 173 times of right click, install?

@OP: pop in a movie or pick a good book and just try to keep 5 games going at the time. Or, install them on a need-to-play basis and install the rest a handful at the time over the coming weeks.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
nerocon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
How is tracking down the torrent, downloading it, extracting it, putting it in the folder and verifying it within the steam client, a 173 times, less work than 173 times of right click, install?

@OP: pop in a movie or pick a good book and just try to keep 5 games going at the time. Or, install them on a need-to-play basis and install the rest a handful at the time over the coming weeks.
It would be faster if you could find a torrent with multiple games in it so when you extract it extracts say all source based games in one shot.. That would be much faster the doing them separately, and would allow you to do something else other then sit and wait a few min for one to download, then do the next. I know I would rather download one huge file, instead of a load of smaller ones.

And there really is no "verifying" as long as the gcf's are present, and the assets in the right place, they just pop in the library when you start steam.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
ultio

Well, first of all, that would still be illegal, at least in most countries, and besides that, Steam is capable of downloading multiple games at a time as well. As written by Washell, your idea is just ridiculous. Especially considering that illegal torrents are most likely not up-to-date and might come with cracks and such. Eventually you would just have to verify every single games' files, which is a lot of work again and takes more time than just downloading and installing all games with Steam...

@OP:
Next time, backup your Steam folder and just put it on the new hard drive. Steam will automatically fix all broken registry entries and stuff like that.
ultio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Washell

Quote:
And there really is no "verifying" as long as the gcf's are present, and the assets in the right place, they just pop in the library when you start steam.
And if they replaced some of the exe's or dll's in the torrent for versions with a cheat and you don't verify, you get to enjoy a nice permanent VAC ban. That aside, a torrent bundling a ton of steam games for ease of installation would be an ideal candidate for inclusion of malware aimed at getting steam account information.

It carries a ton of risks. It doesn't offer improved download speeds. It's more work than doing it via the Steam client in the first place, even if it's bundled. It's illegal/piracy too even if you own the game, because the guys providing the torrents aren't a legal distributor. All in all, it's bad advice.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #9
Madmanden

Well i think it would be a nice feature to have an install all button and then it automatically starts 5 games and then when one is finished the next begins. That way i wouldnt have to sit here all day watching videos and starting new downloads now and then xD
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #10
Madmanden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultio View Post
Well, first of all, that would still be illegal, at least in most countries, and besides that, Steam is capable of downloading multiple games at a time as well. As written by Washell, your idea is just ridiculous. Especially considering that illegal torrents are most likely not up-to-date and might come with cracks and such. Eventually you would just have to verify every single games' files, which is a lot of work again and takes more time than just downloading and installing all games with Steam...

@OP:
Next time, backup your Steam folder and just put it on the new hard drive. Steam will automatically fix all broken registry entries and stuff like that.
Im looking into getting 4 Terabytes RAID (2x2TB) when the money is there for it ^^ With all my steam and retail games installed its almost a terabyte of gamedata. Which i simply didnt have the backup space for. ^^
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #11
nerocon

I can assure you it is not illegal, it falls under fair use. It may be against the TOS, but its not illegal there is a big difference.

Yes it would be risky, as I pointed out in my original post and even said I would not trust it..

I am just tossing ideas out, as the OP asked. Instead of the same ol humdrum BS you guys have pointed out. "get a book" or "pop in a movie" please.. If he was looking for those types of answers he obviously would not of posted in the first place and just grabbed his book to start with.

Anyways, just slightly OT, good day.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #12
ultio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmanden View Post
Im looking into getting 4 Terabytes RAID (2x2TB) when the money is there for it ^^ With all my steam and retail games installed its almost a terabyte of gamedata. Which i simply didnt have the backup space for. ^^
Well, what I did is I simply put the new hard drive in and then I copied it from the old one right onto the new one. Then I formated the old one and defragmented the new one. That's it .

@nerocon:
Over here downloading and uploading is illegal. When you use torrents, you automatically upload as well, that's why it's definitely illegal. End of discussion, I don't want my account to be banned or something like that.
ultio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Killerwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmanden View Post
Im looking into getting 4 Terabytes RAID (2x2TB)
2x2TB brand new disks in RAID 0? Man, you like to live dangerously.
A word of advice: don't save anything important on those disks in the first 3 months. (Or regularly backup those data.)
Killerwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Washell

Quote:
I am just tossing ideas out, as the OP asked.
You're right about that.

@OP: You said you got a new HDD setup. If you still have the old harddrive, you can hook it up and just copy/paste the \steam folder, saving you to downloads and the installations.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
Probably best we don't have an Install All Games button anyway--at least on my PC, Steam tends to get slower the more games it's trying to install at once. Best to stick to a couple at a time.
And to think I want to play two different steam games at once but can't.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips