Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
danrexx

Unhappy Haunted House won't start

Hi,
I've just purchased Atari remake of 'Haunted House' but after installing and launching the game it shows the configuration window and after clicking on 'Play' it simply does nothing and closes the window; then the program is not present not even in the task manager.
I tested it with 3 different PCs with Vista 32bit, Windows 7 64bit and XP 32bit with the same result.
My PC runs normally all Steam Games old and new.
Can anybody help?
Thank you

Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
WarLokk1980

Well it should run on your x86 PCs but it won't work on any x64 based OS as there is a warning on the store page.
WarLokk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
jester15x

Include me with same problem!!!

Hiya,
Im also having the same problem Danrexx. My system specs are as followed:
1.)Windows Vista 32bit SP2 ALL up to date
2.)System is all up date to drivers wise
3.)Checked the file integrity of the game several times with no problems
4.)Turned off Antivirus programs but where not causing any hinderance anyways, as they are set on low and I get same problem with it off
5.)Uninstalled the game, then reinstalled the game, the game still does the same thing, exactly as Danrexx desribes
6.)Furthermore, my system more than meets the system requirements and ALL of my Steam games work including ones that are not part of Steam with NO Problems!!!!
I am more than fustrated, as I have gone to extensive limits to test everything out even all those listed on your support forums to why the game won't load. There shouldn't be any reason this game isn't running!! I have always had problems with Atari products, and this is NO different.

Thanks,
Jester
Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
jester15x

Help us Steam...Please???

Hello,
Is there noone here that can help us out please? Atari is saying its more of a Steam issue that maybe we're missing some files from the download or something might be corrupt. Has anyone that downloaded this game through Steam had issues?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
danrexx

I tested it with another PC/WinXP and it launched the game window after pressing play but it remained black and didn't work anyway. Actually it was a very old computer with an ATI card when all my others comps where I tested it were all NVIDIA Cards but I wanted to see if at least it started and it did. Perhaps it's due to NVIDIA cards not compatible...
Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
jester15x

Hello Danrexx,
You and I seem to be the only ones keeping this thread alive..lol I did open a ticket, saying I wanted my money back for a product I cant play as nobody on here knows whats going on. On the system requirements NVDIA cards are supported but 7950series and above. Aside from that waiting in fustration, hate paying $20 for something I can't use...I'll keep you posted though.

Thanks,
Jester
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
jester15x

UPDATE!!!

Hey there,
I just noticed something interesting, on the specs of the game, it says 1gb free hard disk space, yet the game from Steam we're downloading is only 410MB? Something else I notice is that when I click on the game in my library at the bottom below the description, usually says "1 Item Complete", in white letters, when I click this, I get details on the download total and such, and its only displaying 387MB, not even a 410 total it should be even though Steam is indicating it is...strange. Even funnier, I downloaded Left 4 Dead 2 as well when I bough this game, and I get NO Problems with Left for Dead 2, like so many others are having where the game doesn't launch only its happening to us on Haunted House not for me on Left 4 Dead 2....lol

Thanks,
Jester
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
danrexx

Hi Jester,
actually it seems we are the only ones that cannot make Haunted House work.. even Steam itself hasn't got a specific forum for this game and nobody else complains and they don't care about us and the game purchased not working.
Perhaps some files gets missing during download but I noticed that usually Steam gives different sizes of games even when they work thus I don't know if having it smaller than expected means something but I even tried to download from different servers around the world with the same rsults and the copy downloaded for my old PC with ATI card that at least started something was copied here to my computer and doesn't work anyway. I think that I'll do what you did asking for a refund once I know how to do it since this is the first time I get problems with Steam..... I'm sorry because I wanted to play this game...

Last edited by danrexx: 10-11-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
jester15x

My thoughts....

Hey Danrexx,
I put in my ticket on the 7th and nothing has been replied too, Im not really sure WTH they are doing TBH. My thoughts are to buy the game directly from Atari themselves as it seems, many people are able to play the demo/game with no problems at all, I cant imagine that our configuration could be causing us to NOT play this one game. I play every other game on my computer fine and then some(Im talking about games that are much much older than this one)run PERFECT. So its my belief that we downloaded some corrupt files or something...but noone knows...It sucks because I really wanted to try this game as so many people are saying its tons of fun and has somewhat of a realistic scare atmosphere.Oh well...PLease keep posting here if you find anything else out and I will do the same.

Thanks,
Jester
Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
copiernic

Lightbulb I may be able to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrexx View Post
Hi,
I've just purchased Atari remake of 'Haunted House' but after installing and launching the game it shows the configuration window and after clicking on 'Play' it simply does nothing and closes the window; then the program is not present not even in the task manager.
I tested it with 3 different PCs with Vista 32bit, Windows 7 64bit and XP 32bit with the same result.
My PC runs normally all Steam Games old and new.
Can anybody help?
Thank you
Hi! I have windows 7 64 bits and I've just made Haunted house working properly. First, I checked the "run this program in compatibility mode". The hauntedhouse.exe should be in your "...\Steam\steamapps\common\haunted house@ directory. Your right-click it and then :

- choose Compatibility Tab
- check the box where it's saying "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- It worked for me when I chose "Windows 2000", then click "OK"

start the HauntedHouse.exe by double-clicking on it.

The launcher should appear asking you for "Play" or "configure"

It worked for me choosing the "1280 x 1024" resolution MAX. I'm sorry but I don't know why the "1600 x 1200" is not working for me and I don't care, I just wanted to play the game.

- Then you click on OK, an finally play

a black screen should appear for 10 to 20 seconds (maybe more or less), and credits should appear, that's it, it's working!

Hope it helps. Worked for me. The game started too no problem!
copiernic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
David CopperFie

Try reinstalling the game and make sure you have enough space on disk. I guess 1 GB.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
danrexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by copiernic View Post
Hi! I have windows 7 64 bits and I've just made Haunted house working properly. First, I checked the "run this program in compatibility mode". The hauntedhouse.exe should be in your "...\Steam\steamapps\common\haunted house@ directory. Your right-click it and then :

- choose Compatibility Tab
- check the box where it's saying "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- It worked for me when I chose "Windows 2000", then click "OK"

start the HauntedHouse.exe by double-clicking on it.

The launcher should appear asking you for "Play" or "configure"

It worked for me choosing the "1280 x 1024" resolution MAX. I'm sorry but I don't know why the "1600 x 1200" is not working for me and I don't care, I just wanted to play the game.

- Then you click on OK, an finally play

a black screen should appear for 10 to 20 seconds (maybe more or less), and credits should appear, that's it, it's working!

Hope it helps. Worked for me. The game started too no problem!
Thank for your support but I tried this method for Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit but it didn't work anyway. I tried even re-downloading (from a different source) and re-installing it but with no results. I contacted Steam and Atari support and after providing them with my configurations they are escalating and investigating what the problem may be.
Thanks again for sharing your solution though
Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Totalitator

This thread has been dead for over a year with no real resolution unfortunately.

This game was running for me after I purchased it in October. I tried to launch it today after not playing a while and this exact issue is happening to me. It goes to the configuration menu and then simply vanishes. I deleted it and re-installed it and it still does not run.

A lot of people here never had it running in the first place, but I actually was running it just fine until now, mysteriously.
Totalitator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips