Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Old 10-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
KageKaigo

Question Moving L4D2 onto another mac

Been looking around the forum tonight for an answer and couldn't really find anything. Wondering how I would go about moving l4d2 to another mac. I have it installed on my mac, and i'm gonna try to get my girlfriend into the game (since its so cheap right now figured it was worth a try). So i'd like to transfer the files over to her mac instead of her having to download the 11 GB, and i was wondering what i'd have to move, and to where. And should i transfer first, and then buy the game on her account, or buy first then copy.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
natedogXVI

It shouldn't matter whether you buy the game on her account first, or transfer the files first. Either way should work. But maybe buy it on her account first just to be sure?

As for transferring the files, you just have to put them onto a portable drive of some sort, large enough to hold it all. As for WHAT to transfer, go into your Library folder under Home in the Finder. From there:

Library->Application Support->Steam->SteamApps->Common->left 4 dead 2

Copy this ENTIRE left 4 dead 2 folder from the Common folder, onto the portable drive. Now I'm assuming your girldfriend's Mac already has Steam installed, and she has an account. If not, she needs to do that. Once the appropriate folders are all set up on her computer, you just have to copy that left 4 dead 2 folder into her SteamApps/Common folder. And then presto! At least most of the files will be there already, and if Steam doesn't automatically download whatever else it needs, just Verify the Integrity of the Game Cache, and after it verifies it'll download the remaining files.

Hope that helps.
natedogXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
KageKaigo

That helps a lot, thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
jiminator

if all you have is l4d then just copy the entire steam folder. I think L4D may use other resources outside of that folder....
jiminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
zarmati101

If I want to switch computers but use the same account will it work?
im using my imac which isnt running so smooth and i want to transfer it to my MCP if i transfer the files there will
i be able to play online ?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Entegy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarmati101 View Post
If I want to switch computers but use the same account will it work?
im using my imac which isnt running so smooth and i want to transfer it to my MCP if i transfer the files there will
i be able to play online ?
Of course. The game is tied to an account, not your computer. Just log in to any computer with Steam and you'll have access to your games.
Entegy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games