Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
ProtoJMB

Cannot get sound to play on MOTD page!

I've been looking all over on how to make sounds play when people first join the server. According to what I have read, the only way to do this without installing a mod is to use this code in the motd.txt file:

<head>
<NOEMBED>
<BGSOUND src="INSERT THE AUDIO FILE YOU WANT HERE.mp3">
</NOEMBED>
</head>

HOWEVER, this does not seem to be working. So I tried creating an HTML page, which DOES work and play a sound in my web browser, but when I put the HTML page link in the MOTD, I can SEE the page, but no sound plays.

So what gives? am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
oceandographer

Does NOT work on my server anymore either. From what I've read, it's because they changed the browser type, it doesn't support sound...
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
M33CROB

You could try hosting your MOTD on your external webserver, I believe sound functionality still works this way.

For example put this in your motd to redirect players to your motd on your webserver:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://YourWebsite.com/">

you can put this tag in you motd by itself and it will work fine. The "0" stands for the number of seconds before it will redirect the page, in this case it is instantanious.
M33CROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
oceandographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33CROB View Post
You could try hosting your MOTD on your external webserver, I believe sound functionality still works this way.

For example put this in your motd to redirect players to your motd on your webserver:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://YourWebsite.com/">

you can put this tag in you motd by itself and it will work fine. The "0" stands for the number of seconds before it will redirect the page, in this case it is instantanious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoJMB View Post
So I tried creating an HTML page, which DOES work and play a sound in my web browser, but when I put the HTML page link in the MOTD, I can SEE the page, but no sound plays.

So what gives? am I doing something wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandographer View Post
Does NOT work on my server anymore either. From what I've read, it's because they changed the browser type, it doesn't support sound...
This is how I have my motd set up. A redirect to a little website that I have (that has a background sound), that had been working for years. Everything is intact and plays like nobody's business on every browser I've come across EXCEPT the one that is offered in HL2 and related games.. One day, *wham*! an update occurs and suddenly no sound in my motd. Some research I did on the web points to the type of browser they have now that replaced Internet Explorer type (I believe they were using a .dll to link to the browser functionality of what is on our client computers)- something like that.. Now poof! I don't see a single server out there that has sound in their motd.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
M33CROB

What is the file extension for the sound file that you are trying to use. I believe that what happened with the update is that with changing browsers, the browser can no longer play .wav files or use Winblows Media Player. If the sound file is an .mp3, it should work. If you are still having issues, it is probably because the webpage is trying to use the windows media player and you are going to have to install your own media player on your webpage.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
oceandographer

Ok it is a .mp3 that I'm using with my site and motd. It's an odd thing, thinking about having to have a media playing on the server hosting my website. If sound is not able to play on the client (recipient of the webpage) with out use of windows media player on the client and steam is blocking use of WMP in the browser. How does having a media player on the server help? Won't the client have to process the sound with the use of a media player anyway? Or will having a media player on the server, somehow execute the .mp3 when someone connects to the site, then the sound is redirected through the internet to the client?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
M33CROB

basically you will need to install a codec to render the media file using flash.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
oceandographer

Hhmm it's worth a looksie. It begs the question though, "Does the steam browser support flash?"
Old 11-24-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
M33CROB

Yes, the steam browser absolutely supports Flash. I know this because I was running SM Radio on my server which was killed for most servers when this update came out. I on the other hand was not using the default WMA player and installed a Flash player which worked flawlessly.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
M33CROB

Perhaps this will help...

http://www.googlerank.com/articles/s...-consolle.html

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)