Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Gothic series

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
hvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTyops View Post
You wonot be making that mistake again now will you?
You're right, I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdy2 View Post
Games with only Steam as copy protection can be found on torrent sites the day they are released.
Making an unprotected copy available elsewhere (i.e. Gamersgate) makes this argument invalid.
And hey, as usual, Securom didn't help. Arcania's already there.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
jeffreydean1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdy2 View Post
Games with only Steam as copy protection can be found on torrent sites the day they are released. I wouldn't call that effective.
So are games with SecuRom, whats your point? Arcania is already available to pirates and half th world cant even get it legally yet. Wow, Securom really works!... At jarateing off legitimate customers anyway.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Metazare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomJWD View Post
Steam version is using Securom, yes. This is also mentioned on the product page. No need to hide this information from you.
What about the demo you put out weeks ago that had no mention securom on the product page or during installation?

I was digging through my computer for over 4 hours removing traces of securom. Not to mention the demo wouldn't even launch for 90% of the people who tried it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
KingOfTyops

I noticed that the steam info on the DRM has changed from 3 activations to Unlimited.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
jeffreydean1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTyops View Post
I noticed that the steam info on the DRM has changed from 3 activations to Unlimited.
It's still only 3 activations at a time, and if you lose an activation due to changing hardware or hardware failure you'll have to call them and beg for your activation back.

They're calling it unlimited because you're allowed to uninstall and get an activation back, but it's NOT true unlimited. Do not be fooled.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Burekman

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydean1 View Post
It's still only 3 activations at a time, and if you lose an activation due to changing hardware or hardware failure you'll have to call them and beg for your activation back.

They're calling it unlimited because you're allowed to uninstall and get an activation back, but it's NOT true unlimited. Do not be fooled.
Do you have a link to confirm that or are talking from personal experience?

If true, that's very misleading. Having to manually deactivate your account before activating another does not equal unlimited machine activations.

Unlimited machine activations means you can activate your account on any number of computers, no strings attached. Everything else is limited activations.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
jeffreydean1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burekman View Post
Do you have a link to confirm that or are talking from personal experience?

If true, that's very misleading. Having to manually deactivate your account before activating another does not equal unlimited machine activations.

Unlimited machine activations means you can activate your account on any number of computers, no strings attached. Everything else is limited activations.
Here is the way they word if for their publicity statements:
"ArcaniA – Gothic 4 can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs and only needs to be activated once via the Internet. To play, which can be done at up to three PCs at a time, neither the original disc nor a constant internet connection is needed. The possibility of an uncomplicated transfer of license between the used PC offers a maximum of flexibility to the customer. "

Source: http://press.jowood.com/

It was later confirmed on JoWood's forums that we are indeed limited to 3 activations at a time and an install must be deactivated before it can be re-used. If you lose that activation due to hardware/software failure, or changing your hardware so Securom thinks you're on a new computer, the only way to get the activation back is to call their customer support number and pray they believe you.

In short: Unlimited activations is a bald-faced lie.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #23
Krisando

Oh well, I guess i'll not buy this game after-all.

Will have to obtain it by other means..

The amount of times Windows just wants to stop working, or something like another OS messes up partition or boot. I do not believe limiting to 3 is good enough, there is going to be no way for me to de-activate in these circumstances.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
hexaae

I agree. Never buy additional invasive DRM games!
Bad for them...
Valve still sells too much to care about this problem for just "some users"... They don't even understand removing 3rd party DRMs would be a winning policy for them luring more and more users to buy from Steam only.

Last edited by hexaae: 03-22-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #25
hexaae

As far as I can read here also the Steam version received the no-DRM patch in 2011: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13500
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #26
ThomNG

Nordic Games
Why bringing that thread again back to the present? There have not been posts for the last 2 years. There is no DRM any more involved with ArcaniA - as hexaae said, the no-DRM patch has been applied back in time.

topic closed
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Gothic series