Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
WingRider

Issues with Railworks and Scenarios

Ok, so I'm new to this and bought it because it was on sale and curious. But wondering if others have the same issues and if there is a fix to some of these.

1 - Derail just out of the yard with the Free Roam Barstow with the Challenger. Read where others have this issue and it's a problem with the scenario. Is Railworks going to fix this? Why is it taking so long, does nothing to impress a new customer.

2 - To pause the game, press the 'Pause/Break' key. This does nothing on my system. I get a phone call or interruption of some sort and no way to pause the sim to come back to it. I have to just walk away and plan on restarting the scenario.

3 - Castle Rock Cement Car run. It 'locks up' everytime I start the switch over at the Castle Rock junction after waiting for the other train to go by. I finally found that a message was popping up in a window underneath the 'full screen' that 'Something bad happened'. Why always there?

4 - On the Meat wagon run, unable to recouple the cars in yard 2. I could not find a way to either manually couple (Ctrl-Shft-C) or thru the Coupler screen.

My first impression of this app is not great, the graphics and detail is good, but the mechanics and stability of the app is poor for me.

I'm running on a very stable pc that can run FSX all day without issue, so why is this having issues.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
lonewolfdon

Hey there. Welcome aboard
I can't offer scenario-specific advice on those ones you mention, but I might be able to offer some other suggestions that may help.

From the initial RailWorks initial launch window, and before clicking on the Start button, first click on the Tools & Docs tab, then click on the Clear Cache button found there, then Start RailWorks. Sometimes this will help to resolve some problems of some scenarios not loading or working properly.

Regarding your Pause key not working; what type of computer are you using? And perhaps depending on your computer type and keyboard type, you might need to first have the "Pause" key enabled via some other option being turned-on. For example, pressing the "Num Lock" key will enable the side-number-pad keys to go into numbered-keys mode... if you Pause key was in on that part of the keyboard, then either having the num-lock off or on might enable the Pause key to work accordingly? There's so many different computer and different keyboard layouts, etc... so I'm just throwing out some ideas that may be related to your problem.

Aside from that, if you can't get the Pause key to work, and if you had to suddenly leave your computer, there may be one other alternative than having to re-start a scenario all over again from the beginning, which is pressing the "F2" key will give the option to Save your current progress in that scenario. So then the next time you go to load in that same scenario you'll have an option to continue from that save-point.
I know it's not a perfect solution, but it's a possible work-around that could save you time and hassle or restarting the whole scenario again from the beginning each time.

Coupling train-cars can be a bit tricky. I try to keep my speed below 5 MPH before making contact. From the RailWorks in-game options you should also find an option to enable or disable automatic coupling; myself I tend to have it set to Automatic, so if you go to connect to a train-car and the speed is under 5MPH, usually it will automatically couple for you on contact. If you're going a bit too fast or hard, then the automatic-coupling could fail.

Good luck and have fun.
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Clemmo47

I just checked the Barstow Challenger free roam from Barstow Yd.I drove for a few miles with no problem.At which milepost are you having trouble ?
Keep the F3 screen up to check your speed,check the 2D map (key 9) to check if you have to change points ahead,especially if a red/yellow signal shows on the F3 screen
You often have to change the points manually especially in free roam scenarios.A blue line shows a clear route when the points are set properly in the 2D map.

Last edited by Clemmo47: 10-10-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Clemmo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
WingRider

As it is 'Free Roam', where it starts by default, I just hit the gas and go. Where the 'yard' ends and you are down to just 2 tracks, the map (key 9) shows a blue line continuing south. However, at the location of a bridge there is a single signal and a dual signal just beyond. The single signal shows yellow over red as I approach. I stopped there to test this out. Now there is evidence in the view or graphics that a track route was to curve off to the right, but there is no track and no switch. At that point moving forward a couple of feet and the train derails. The location of this signal is Lat: 34.89165, Long: -117.08324

I heard back from Railworks tech support that they had fixed this, yet I'm having the issue. So, not sure what else to do or say at this point.

Speaking of the Map, is there a way to change the switches/route via the dots on the track map? Thought I saw some YouTube video where someone did that, maybe I'm mistaken. It would be nice in a yard to set all the switches to make it easier to navigate thru the yard.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Clemmo47

Yes in the 2D map shift click on the points (blue dots). I always use this method rather than key G.
Find your loco by clicking on the red loco icon at bottom right,click it again to move away from it.
Clemmo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
lonewolfdon

Yes, in the map, hold Shift and left-click on the junction point you want to switch. The path a junction is set for is represented by a thinker gray-line that comes off of it.

Oops. Looks like Clem beat me to it.

Also, in 3D view, pressing F6 key will turn on the labels for trains, sidings, platforms, etc...
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
zm4r

[QUOTE=WingRider;17558658]As it is 'Free Roam', where it starts by default, I just hit the gas and go. Where the 'yard' ends and you are down to just 2 tracks, the map (key 9) shows a blue line continuing south. However, at the location of a bridge there is a single signal and a dual signal just beyond. The single signal shows yellow over red as I approach. I stopped there to test this out. Now there is evidence in the view or graphics that a track route was to curve off to the right, but there is no track and no switch. At that point moving forward a couple of feet and the train derails. The location of this signal is Lat: 34.89165, Long: -117.08324

When I use the left track I can continue without derailing
Use Barstow Yard Gate 1.

Grtz,
Erik

Last edited by zm4r: 10-10-2010 at 03:20 PM.
zm4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
WingRider

[QUOTE=zm4r;17564697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRider View Post
As it is 'Free Roam', where it starts by default, I just hit the gas and go. Where the 'yard' ends and you are down to just 2 tracks, the map (key 9) shows a blue line continuing south. However, at the location of a bridge there is a single signal and a dual signal just beyond. The single signal shows yellow over red as I approach. I stopped there to test this out. Now there is evidence in the view or graphics that a track route was to curve off to the right, but there is no track and no switch. At that point moving forward a couple of feet and the train derails. The location of this signal is Lat: 34.89165, Long: -117.08324

When I use the left track I can continue without derailing
Use Barstow Yard Gate 1.

Grtz,
Erik

I'll try that, not much of a fix though is it. I mean that this really shouldn't happen.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
WingRider

Thanks guys, I'll try the Shift-Left click on the dot. Never thought to try a shift click and I don't remember reading anything that was easy to find how to do it. I agree, much easier way to set switches, thanks again.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Toldrabald

to your initial question nb 2: if pause key doesn't work, the "save game" button F2 also pauses the game and you don't have to start over but can continue from that point.
to 1: yeah we had a thread about it a bit ago, someone said RSC would be informed. Patches always take a while, but are coming...
Toldrabald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
WingRider

So far all the help and suggestions are working. It's appreciated, thanks again.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
arizonachris

Hi, Wing, and welcome. In addition to the help you get here, can I recommend "RailWorks America" and "UKTS" websites. There is a ton of information about Rail Works, as well as freeware and payware add on content. Please feel free to ask us here if you have problems.

Yes, we all know, the base game (base code?) has it's issues. We all wish they would be fixed, and RS seems to be working on them, as to when any update will be released is a good question.

Also, keep in mind, any "fix" from RS.com or a third party dev may not make it to Steam for a while.

Last edited by arizonachris: 10-10-2010 at 10:38 PM.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks