Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Aelok

General state of affairs.

A companion's mood is effected by 3 major things:
1. The company of companions you keep. All companions have likes and [mostly] dislikes of other companions.
2. Your ability to command. Losing battles or having low Leadership I assume impacts this.

and lastly, the one this thread is discussing:
3. The general state of affairs.
This is the one i'm interested in. What all goes under the 'general state of affairs'? How can I raise this? How can I prevent this from getting worse?

I ask because I have planned out a 10 companions company, and for the most part it works out. All companions have at most 1 disliked companion in the company. Most of my companions can manage staying on with me with just one disliked companion in the company, but a few of mine are finding this difficult.

My companion list is:
  • Borcha
  • Klethi
  • Jeremus
  • Baheshtur
  • Katrin
  • Metheld
  • Nizar
  • Bunduk
  • Lezalit
  • Alayen
Jeremus, Baheshtur, and Matheld are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that have deteriorating morale. Alayen may be among them as well.

My companions generally are 'downright apalled' by my choice of companions, happy with my style of leadership, and downright apalled at the general state of affairs.

The latter, thats the one I assume I can fix. What can I do? Buying chicken, pork, and fresh meat every 3 days (along with all the other main stream foods) is getting expensive and tedious and doesn't seem to have much of an impact.
I don't lose fights, suffer extremely few casualties, complete quests of all sorts all the time, and never miss pay day.
I am unaffiliated with any faction, maybe that is what they require? My Leadership skill is 4, and I know raising that will help, but getting 3 level ups is a slow process, especially when unaligned to a faction.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
-LSD-

Banned
I'm in the same boat as you. I recently decided i was going to become king (as you do) and thought a good way to start would be to tell them to go out and spread the word, only none of them do because they all hate me. I have 9 blocks of different food, including honey and expensive things. I usually have about 3-4 losses per battle, so that can't be the problem, and i don't even raid anywhere.
(EDIT: i'm at leadership 7 and i'm with the Rhodoks. Same as you, never miss payday etc. I thought it was to do with my controversy i racked up when i became marshal, but once the king got word of me actually winning the war, he revoked that and i'm back at 0 controversy, still hated by my company)
From what i remember in vM+B back before i used the cheat to disable companion interaction (so they don't get annoyed with each other) this was caused by their "likes". You'd talk to them, or something, and they'd tell you what they hate and love. I remember quite a few of them HATED me raiding caravans and towns. Moment i'd do that they'd get annoyed. Since Warband though, i've just been using the cheat, and never bothered about their well being.

Last edited by -LSD-: 10-11-2010 at 04:02 PM.
-LSD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
howlandp

the companion dislikes seem to play into this pretty heavily. trimming down the list to minimize negative interactions helps. Party size also plays heavily into it, especially if you have higher renown and low to middle leadership. If you are running your party at max size and not constantly fighting and winning, you will have a harder time keeping unhappy companions.

Leadership is well worth the investment if you are trying to keep people together who don't like each other. I shoot for 6-9 or so depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. Remember to read the book after you have decided to put your last point into charisma as this will bump it above what you could get 'naturally'

in your party, Alayen doesn't like both Nizar and Bunduk. This will make it very difficult to keep him no matter what food you buy.

Your response to their little quarrels has an impact as well with the one you support getting a bonus and the other getting a penalty. Ignoring the quarrels seems to give a smaller penalty for both. This effect seems to be permanent.

The 'destroy bandit lair' missions give pretty solid xp at the lower (sub 20) levels - bartenders often hint at who is giving them...

Affiliating with a faction shouldn't make a difference other than to give you more opportunities to win battles for xp and morale bonuses. If you aren't affiliated then you really only need enough troops to handle bandits (40 maybe?) so again, party size might be the way to help improve morale in your case.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
howlandp

sorry i was wrong. It's marnid that alayen doesn't like, not Bunduk.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
caddux

I think that general state of affair is a more subjective thing. It varies from companion to companion. It seems to me it's got something to do with the path you choose to follow in the game. For example, some companions will not like to raid villages while others will like it. Some will be happier if you are part of a faction instead of going rogue. Others will be very unhappy when you turn battles into bloodbaths, even if you win, while to others it won't matter, as long as you win them. So, I think these kind of things go all into the 'general state of affairs' category.
caddux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
xiriod

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddux View Post
I think that general state of affair is a more subjective thing. It varies from companion to companion. It seems to me it's got something to do with the path you choose to follow in the game. For example, some companions will not like to raid villages while others will like it. Some will be happier if you are part of a faction instead of going rogue. Others will be very unhappy when you turn battles into bloodbaths, even if you win, while to others it won't matter, as long as you win them. So, I think these kind of things go all into the 'general state of affairs' category.
^^ This
xiriod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Aelok

One of my older files had this exact same companion crew and I was able to maintain their happiness easily by being a good person (no raiding villages, etc.) and being aligned to a faction.

This time around, however, I'm losing ground even when I buy all the generic foods, plus grapes, olives, raw meat, chicken, and pork.

I've noticed when they go to leave, I can persuade them to stay. This ups their mood to 50-60. I have this notion in my mind that this could only be done once per 'join cycle'. Like, if they join you, try to leave, you can persuade them to stay, but if they go to leave again, you have no option to persuade them.
Could someone post some details about the last part here? Can you persuade them to stay multiple times without them actually leaving? Assuming the persuasion check is successful, of course.
Aelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Mormacil

I believe so, I think I persuaded Marnid three times.
Mormacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
caddux

Well, if they didn't change it in the latest patch, yes, you can sucessefully persuade multiple times the same character in the same join cycle.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
xiriod

One thing worth mentioning, there's an edit where you can either turn it off completely but you have to start a new game, or you can tell them you hang deserters and they will fall in to line. The latter can be used at any point and does not require a restart, and was in the game by default just disabled.

Personally I use the latter, as in the end I found myself playing a game where I had to constantly please my companions and that's not why I started playing Warband in the first place And in the end I'll use half of them as lords anyhow.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
-LSD-

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiriod View Post
One thing worth mentioning, there's an edit where you can either turn it off completely but you have to start a new game, or you can tell them you hang deserters and they will fall in to line. The latter can be used at any point and does not require a restart, and was in the game by default just disabled.

Personally I use the latter, as in the end I found myself playing a game where I had to constantly please my companions and that's not why I started playing Warband in the first place And in the end I'll use half of them as lords anyhow.
Those don't work if you want them to spread the word about how awesome you are. They'll still hate you, they just wont tell you they hate you.
-LSD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
xiriod

You know, and that was even before I enabled the edit, even at 0 morale they still went out and spread the word in my game(s). Strange that. At any rate, I found that doing so attracted more unwanted attention than support so I just went about it the old fashioned way, all out conquest

I grabbed a lot of other lords that were unsatisfied with their king along the way, so I had my bases covered
Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
MrUnderstanding

You're supposed to arrange your companions so that they have one person they like and one they hate, not just get a random assortment. :P

Off the top of my head, the OP needs to switch Jeremus and Klethi for Ymira and Artimenner. If they're appalled at the general state of affairs, that's usually because they're in a party with people they hate.

Failing that, you can just edit your game or download a mod which turns off the dislikes so you can have a mini army of immortals.
MrUnderstanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
caddux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnderstanding View Post
If they're appalled at the general state of affairs, that's usually because they're in a party with people they hate.
Of course not. If someone dislikes someone else in a party, they will complain about your choice of companion, not the general states of affair. This is obvious.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
MrUnderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddux View Post
Of course not. If someone dislikes someone else in a party, they will complain about your choice of companion, not the general states of affair. This is obvious.
Go test it in game then, I'll await your findings.

Morale is also important, if it gets low because you have a large army and aren't winning enough battles then you'll start to lose your companions. But even with excellent morale, you can't maintain that many conflicting companions.

And with persuading them to stay, that's a temporary fix and I'm guessing it's based on the persuasion skill, but overall you have a small chance of actually convincing them to stay. Definately wouldn't want to be in a situation where you're relying on it. :P
MrUnderstanding is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series