Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
FomarThain

Question New Vegas - Local Saves?

Bought my first steam game with steam cloud support: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Great game but didn't know it's save game data was stored on steam's servers only. So you could play offline like other steam games but your progress wouldn't be saved; learned that the hard way.

Anyway I saw that NV supported steam cloud as well. Does that mean that it's saves will be server only as well? As in I won't be able to back them up locally should I want to and thus I'll always have to play the game with steam online to save?

If you can save locally then how do you know the different services supported in the bullet point "steam cloud" on the New Vegas steam page vs. the Lara Croft: GoL steam page? Am I missing something really obvious?

I've never played any of my Steam games in online mode before because I've never used/needed any of Steams online features. Steam has always been just an authentication service for me, well at least until GoL.

Steam Cloud sounds cool but not being able to save locally... well... that ain't so cool...

Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Kif Kif

If it were a default feature, I'd assume you could disable it through steam.

Every steam-cloud game in my list, in its properties has an option to sync or not sync with the cloud.

Also, my fallout 3 is currently using a default GFWL cloud to save my games.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
Metalcastr

Fallout 3 only loads saves if you're connected to GFL, but the saves are stored locally at C:\Users\*Your user name*\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\Saves\*Your GFL user name*. (For Win7)

If no account with GFL is set up, it saves it one directory higher. There's nothing stopping you from playing it offline simply by copying the saves to \Saves.
Metalcastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
zZenoXx

In Civilization V you get both local and Steam Cloud save support. You get to choose there. It would be nice if they did the same with New Vegas.
zZenoXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
tripmaster

Steam cloud support enabled but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zZenoXx View Post
In Civilization V you get both local and Steam Cloud save support. You get to choose there. It would be nice if they did the same with New Vegas.
When playing on laptop, Fallout NV saved games from desktop werent synced. Any way to force sync?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
NeoandGeo

My saves for Fallout New Vegas don't seem to be syncing either?
NeoandGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
Itchy

NV game saves are located in your user folder, under my docs, in my games. So yeah, they can be backed up.

As for what steam cloud actually does here for this game, I have no idea.
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
snapjak

Steam Cloud has been disabled for NV since about a week after release, and will probably never be re-enabled.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series