Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
KnifeGun

Gothic 2 horrid fps issues.

PC SPEC:
Windows XP SP3
ATI Radeon HD4850
Intel Quad Core 2.66ghz
3gb of ram

After craving a "new" rpg for some time now I finally set my eyes on Gothic 2 and bought it off steam last night. When I finally had a chance to sit down and play it tonight I noticed a horrible frame rate right around the monastery.

I checked for possible fixes/known issues and I tried many things from downloading community patches to changing settings in the .ini file. Nothing seems to be working. I have the most fps loss around fire or water. I'm not very savvy when it comes to this sort of thing so whatever information and/or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
GothicFighter

Banned
You have to download a video benchmarking program(I use Unigine heaven benchmark)and leave it running while you are playing the game.
Gothic 2 is known for problems with vram management.
GothicFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
kbshadow

Banned
GOTHIC? LOL

mate go one better and delete it, the entire gothic series is a pile of wa*k, go out and buy oblivion.
kbshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
GothicFighter

Banned
In Europe,Gothic 1&2(probably 3 also) is considered the best RPG game
GothicFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
TimM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshadow View Post
mate go one better and delete it, the entire gothic series is a pile of wa*k, go out and buy oblivion.
I don't think you have actually played gothic, because the Gothic series is better. For Gothic 3, get the community patch and play it. Gothic 2 is of course elite.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Delicieuxz

Quote:
Huh? Oblivion is an utter joke of a pile of trash next to Gothic 1 and 2. Don't think you've ever played them or you'd know that. Oblivion is about impossible to play after playing something like Gothic 2, because it just sucks too much by comparison. I recommend you get it!

Last edited by Delicieuxz: 10-14-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Delicieuxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
KnifeGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicFighter View Post
You have to download a video benchmarking program(I use Unigine heaven benchmark)and leave it running while you are playing the game.
Gothic 2 is known for problems with vram management.
I have tried this using Heaven and Tropics benchmarks and if anything it makes my problems worse in game. It seems to be bogging down my entire system. If i try to move in game with a benchmark program running then I continue to move in that direction for what seems to be insurmountable lag. Menus also lag like making it difficult to quit game and try something else.

Also my benchmark program ends up timing out and I have to close through task manager. This is very disappointing because I hear everyone talking about gothic 2 being a tremendous rpg experience and I'm going to miss out on it.

Anyone got anything else that might help? Or is it re-fund time?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Delicieuxz

Try asking on the World of Gothic English forums and/or JoWood Gothic forums. Sorry I can't help, I haven't troubleshooted ATI issues with the game.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
jeffreydean1

Quote:
... Oblivion was a pile of crap. If you're going to hate on the Gothic series, at LEAST compare it to a good game like Morrowind, not that massive piece of fail Oblivion. If you hate all Gothic games, why are you here? I get crap for hating on Gothic 4, but at least I like and am a fan of Gothic 1-3.
jeffreydean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
KnifeGun

Quote:
From what I played of Gothic 2 it has the potential to suck me in for many hours. If and only if I can get the frame rate to become steady. I just picked up The Witcher from Wal Mart so I think i'm gonna give that a go until I can find a fix for Gothic 2.

Honestly Oblivion was a bit of a let down. They dumb'd a lot of things that made Morrowind completely fantastic. For instance the world leveling up with you in oblivion was a joke. This paired with fast travel completely negated any and all adventure which is what I love about open ended rpgs. That said I still put about 60 hours into Oblivion. Give me a world filled with loot and monsters to slay and I am one happy bird. Give all that with massive in-game stuttering and well, you will find me on the forums.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Krisando

Gothic 2 > Morrowind > Oblivion

There all great games tbh, extremely different between them though.
Krisando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Bloomsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisando View Post

There all great games tbh, extremely different between them though.
That could be true if your opinion on each game was made about the time they were released, and it would still be completely subjective... For a new player though, it is the complete opposite. The graphics are an important component of the game, and from today's standpoint, Gothic 2 is horrible (when the water fall looks like a very big... rock and your 2 year-old cousin can draw a better horse, it is NOT GOOD).
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Delicieuxz

^ Gothic 2 didn't have any horses in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisando View Post
Yep, and time hasn't hanged a thing. Gothic 2's world is still vastly more fascinating to explore and look at than Oblivion's. It's bland environments like Oblivion's that don't hold up well, whereas Gothic 2's high quality of environment detail still paints the atmosphere as good as it ever did.

New players tend to agree, as well. Ultra-casual players just want a bland barren space to run around in, though. They're not looking for quality of craftsmanship.

http://www.gamershell.com/screenshot...41483_full.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...otRVantage.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...NotRCanyon.jpg
http://www.gamershell.com/screenshot...41476_full.jpg

Last edited by Delicieuxz: 10-14-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
EternallyDoomed

Gothic 2 seems to have issues with ATI Cards and Win XP. It ran terribly for me as well, until I turned off glare effects or whatever the hell it's called in English (playing German version, but it's the second last option in the Advanced menu). That gave me playable FPS.
Still not really enjoying the game. For some reason I tend to die after 1 or 2 hits against random opponents and that's a major turn off
EternallyDoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
KnifeGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyDoomed View Post
Gothic 2 seems to have issues with ATI Cards and Win XP. It ran terribly for me as well, until I turned off glare effects or whatever the hell it's called in English (playing German version, but it's the second last option in the Advanced menu). That gave me playable FPS.
Still not really enjoying the game. For some reason I tend to die after 1 or 2 hits against random opponents and that's a major turn off
I have already tried tons of different combinations of settings and no luck still. I'm thoroughly disappointed. I know that if you are just swinging wildly you probably will get owned. You gotta time your attacks and defenses as well.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Gothic series