Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 10-15-2010, 05:33 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #31
alden

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosenukes View Post
Oh Valve, you're such a tease.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9081782/tease.jpg
Muahahahahaha!

We're fixing that. I guess we shouldn't recommend games that aren't for sale yet
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #32
Burekman

Banned
YES! Exactly what I wanted. Thank you Valve.

The recommended feature generally works great. It recommends games I have been eyeing in the past or from similar genres, which is good. But a select few of them are already on my wishlist and I don't really want those recommended.

Keep up the good work guys!

EDIT: OH, and I'm against the idea of enabling recommendations on wishlisted games, as it could be easily exploited. I really don't want all my friends recommending me the next big online FPS months before its release.

Last edited by Burekman: 10-15-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Burekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #33
rielz

Please give us the possibility of the opposite thing.
Let us warn our friends of some baaaad games
rielz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #34
Burekman

Banned
I just found a "Friends' favorite games" section on the new recommended page and that thing is totally awesome.

Why don't we have something like that on the Community tab on a more accessible page? That would be totally cool, as right now we only have that limited list that shows the 6 most played games by your friends in the last 2 weeks.
Burekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #35
TheHeeyyy

My opinion

I have to agree with the sentiments people have made about the recommendations being odd. The top recommendation I got was for Killing Floor DLC, a game I have only played once nearly a year ago (bought-it during the Steam holiday sale, played-it once, didnt like-it, and haven't played-it since). I also got Borderlands and Modern Wrafre 2 DLC recommended, which are also games I havent played much. The recommendation system definately needs to take into account hours spent playing certain games.
TheHeeyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #36
seseorang

I'd prefer to recommend a game to a particular friend or selection of friends and not all.

I see you can recommend recently downloaded videos/trailers from Steam. Is this necessary?

Last edited by seseorang: 10-15-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: addition
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #37
Peewi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosire View Post
I like that recommendation you wrote.
Peewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #38
Tannekr

I like this recommendation page, if only because it looks nice.
Tannekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #39
Sir_Brizz

Once again..........

This beta still has the same bug that has been around since the 2010 Update began. If your favorite window is set to 'Community' and you minimize Steam to the tray, then restore it with a double click, it will 100% guaranteed every time take you to your Profile and not to the 'Community' home screen (which has the blotter on it). So annoying and can't be more than two lines of code to fix this stupid problem.

PLEASE FIX
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
terrible

Let us see metascore, sometimes you just click to find out its an awful console port with metascore around 60
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #41
Peewi

I can understand why you shouldn't be able to recommend games that have been delisted from the store, but this means that you can't recommend Batman: Arkham Asylum if you bought it before the GOTY edition was available.

I don't know if there are any other cases of games that can't be recommended, but that's one I happened to notice.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #42
Peewi

On the Recommended > Friend activity page, it is saying that three friends have added Lost Planet 2 to their wishlists, but it's showing the same friend three times and going to the LP2 page shows that he's the only one of my friends that have it on their wishlist.

EDIT:

In the lifetime playtime in the friend activity I am seeing games without icons (apparently due to them not having store pages). This includes
  • Source SDK
  • Global Agenda - Beta
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum (the pre-GOTY edition also mentioned in my above post)
  • Left 4 Dead 2 Demo
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta
  • The Last Remnant (the appID for what my friends have played appear to be different from the appID of the storepage)
  • Medal of Honor Beta
  • Torchlight Editor
There are more, but I checking this is really annoying when I can only access the page in the Steam client and not in a different web browser.

Not a bug, but the absolutely immense amount of Team Fortress 2 played by my friends (18972 hours played) makes the bars for everything else really tiny and causes the ones with below 40 hours to not even have a visible bar.

Last edited by Peewi: 10-15-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #43
P-K

Banned
Quote:
- updated Speex and JPEG libraries
is that for the Game library? ie to fix the slow scrolling/locking up?

Edit - about 85% of the icons/images no longer show up
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8529/noimages.jpg

does this on the custom and default steam skin

Last edited by P-K: 10-15-2010 at 11:32 PM.
P-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #44
Black Tentacle

Under 'Recommended for you' -> 'Based on games you want and play':
I got recommended the Napoleon: Total War: Imperial Edition, although I already own the normal edition of this game. Which is probably alright, as it contains units I can only get by 'rebuying' this game as the imperial edition (if you even can do that, I don't know), but shouldn't be something recommended by steam.
Even worse, I got recommended the Peninsular DLC although I already own that.
And the Tropico 3: Absolute Power DLC, although I don't even own the basic game.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #45
pyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarnsworth View Post
We added the delete link to the recommendation detail page, should be easier to find now.
It's easier to find, but it didn't work for me. I still had to go to the "recommended" tab in my game list (http://steamcommunity.com/id/YOURNAMEHERE/recommended/) to delete a recommendation.
pyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion