Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tales of Monkey Island series

Old 10-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Krabman7

I never played the original games.

I wanted to get this, but it seems I'll get lost in the story.
Or it's not plot heavy?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Rautapalli

These new ones do have a lot of references to the original Monkey Island games, but I wouldn't really say that playing them is required to enjoy the new ones. It's pretty much a new story.

Last edited by Rautapalli: 10-16-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Rautapalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
ThePerson98

I played it first, still havent played the originals. I had a great time playing it, and it's pretty easy to pick up on.

Regardless, I'd nab it for 5 dollars, its the best price you'll get it at.
ThePerson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
nofattiesplease

In general, each of the Monkey Island games requires no prior knowledge of the series. I jumped in at the 3rd game. So don't worry about it. There's certainly a plot but it's a comedic plot, not a dramatic plot with a lot of callbacks. It ain't Lost.
nofattiesplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Aetius

I recently finished The Secret of Monkey Island SE on the iPhone and can not understand all the hype and reverence for the Monkey Island series. I found most of the puzzles to be illogical, the game was not that funny (i laughed inside or smiled only a few times), after leaving Melee Island i found the game to be a bit boring.

However, every time i put the game down i wanted to get back to playing it! I don't understand why, despite finding it a bit boring and not all that funny i still felt a desire to keep playing. When i did finish the game i felt a bit disappointed due to its abrupt ending and some mysteries being left unanswered (what the hell is the secret of monkey island anyway? Is it subjective!? (SPOILER) What?! You mean the whole time the staple remover was useless and i kept trying to use it in solving puzzles?) (END SPOILER). Although i do understand the humour of the game, i did find it to be a bit lame (humour wise and puzzle wise).

Nevertheless, i have just started to play Le Chuck's Revenge and am on the fence about buying Tales. Part of me says 'no you won't find it funny. It will be a waste of time and money.' But another part of me says 'OMG i really want to play it!' I think this is because after watching the opening scene of chapter one of Tales, i found it to be much more humorous than almost the entire Secret of Monkey Island game. I think this is because i understood the in-joke 'Oh yeah, well you fight like a-' and also found the conversation Guybrush tries to have with Elaine who keeps cutting him off and misunderstands him to be funny.

I do like point and click games (longest journey, out of order, culpa innata etc) and so am very tempted to buy Tales. But I'm still not sure if the Monkey Island series is my 'scene'. I do prefer a more serious story and logical, awesome puzzles. That being said, maybe playing SoMI and Le Chuck's Revenge will allow me to enjoy Tales more than the previous games due to the in-jokes? I'm really not that sure. I'm still teetering on the fence.

Did anyone else get the same first impression when playing The Secret of Monkey Island? Was playing Le Chuck's Revenge more enjoyable because you had knowledge of the characters and jokes from SoMI?
Aetius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
mitspieler

I played the original Monkey Island 1 and 2 15 years ago. I think the puzzles feel a bit old now because they defined the genre back then. Many thing have been copied by other games since then and were perfected in terms of storytelling.

But yes, Monkey Island was never know for its 'logical' puzzles, but the fewest adventures are. When I remember MI1, I remember the poodles (lol), the Fettuccini brothers, Stan and Herman who doesn't want to leave the island. MI2 was another story. Far more content, far more detailed and really the better game. MI2 for example had the best(!) ending Ive ever seen in a computer game since then.

Long story short, Tales of Monkey Island was the fiorst 3D Monkey Island I played. I never thought that Guybrush would work in 3D and only the low price made me buy it. But I really loved it. Finished it today and I'm really happy. :-) To your last question, I got some inside jokes and I missed some. But the game doesn't build on your knowledge of the other games. Its still funny and works great.
mitspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
Aetius

Thanks mitspieler for answering my question. "I think the puzzles feel a bit old now because they defined the genre back then. Many thing have been copied by other games since then and were perfected in terms of storytelling." I think you hit the nail on the head! This must be why i felt that MI was inferior in almost all regards to more recent point and click games.

From what i have read, i am hoping MI2 will be a superior game to MI. I think that i will buy Tales now while it's cheap and play it after completing MI2.

Thanks for your opinion.
Aetius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
exitido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
I recently finished The Secret of Monkey Island SE
BAN

Quote:
on the iPhone
PERMABAN

Quote:
and can not understand all the hype and reverence for the Monkey Island series.
DIE
exitido is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tales of Monkey Island series