Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum

Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
mrwar

I am sorry but I don´t think the forum user above has any real idea of what he is talking about...
mrwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
yorshek

There is no revoke tool for GOTY edition. Maybe it is mistake on Steam page.
yorshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
eldo76

AFAIK it is just you can install the game on 4 different PCs simultaneously but you can reinstall the game countless time on those 4.

it is basically a license for 4 machines.
eldo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldo76 View Post
AFAIK it is just you can install the game on 4 different PCs simultaneously but you can reinstall the game countless time on those 4.

it is basically a license for 4 machines.
This would be true.

You can at most have 4 copies of it installed on 4 machines. Seeing that most people never install it on more than ONE PC this will not ever be a issue for you people.

Seriously, I got the game and I haven't had any SecuRom issues at all.

The SecuRom fear is just overblown like most other DRM by now. They're harmless and won't make you feel a thing.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
runadumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefar View Post
This would be true.

You can at most have 4 copies of it installed on 4 machines. Seeing that most people never install it on more than ONE PC this will not ever be a issue for you people.

The SecuRom fear is just overblown like most other DRM by now. They're harmless and won't make you feel a thing.
Can you confirm this? Links? Solid information? Or is this just what you have heard. You must understand the frustration and confusion surrounds such things?
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
NightFlight

Securom = no sale

What if PC that I install dies? No way to revoke it! So down to 3 activations and I'll be vary Anxious when it goes to 2. What if I want to play it in 2 years time and get stupid too many activations because I forgot to use revoke tool. Have over 150 games (UPDATE: just checked - 148 actually) on Steam and ALL are (additional) drm free

And managing revokes for 10 stupid additional drm games is nightmare
NightFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
rodro_lliv

Here is another user who won't get this game due to Securom. The price is great but Securom = no sale. Also, GFWL? I thought I was buying in Steam. Seriously, why does Valve accept extra DRM in the games they sell?
rodro_lliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
sea-

This becomes a major problem if you are unable to deactivate your installation, say, due to a hard drive failure or just plain forgetting when doing a reformat. I think it's a bit absurd to expect users to have to micromanage their software just so they don't accidentally lose the license, and I'm quite sure the publishers don't give a flying if their customers' game doesn't work. They've already got the money. It's a sad reality of the software business - delivering a hassle-free product is a secondary priority for many publishers, and customer satisfaction easily goes by the wayside when they know they're going to move copies anyway.

That said, Batman is a fantastic game and it's easily worth the full price; on sale it offers a tremendous value and is one of the best action titles released in years. The DRM is unfortunate, but it doesn't hinder the quality of the game itself.

Last edited by sea-: 10-22-2010 at 04:21 PM.
sea- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #24
Boiller

Banned
every time a buyer doesnt buy b/c of securom, its a tiny victory for legit pc gamers. but in this case, its just your loss, but i salute your dilligence. this game is worth 20 bucks for a one-time install imo.
Boiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #25
mrwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiller View Post
every time a buyer doesnt buy b/c of securom, its a tiny victory for legit pc gamers. but in this case, its just your loss, but i salute your dilligence. this game is worth 20 bucks for a one-time install imo.
You make it very difficult to follow the path of virtue with a statement like that, Boiller...
Believe me, I am dying to buy the game, it is just that securom REALLY jaratees me off! Particularly when included in a game sold through Steam! Why do you need it????
mrwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #26
eonblue

I really don't understand why publishers insist on having alternate forms of DRM in steam games. It clearly has no impact on pirates and it's impossible to re-sell digital games anyway, so it has no effect on the used games market. All it seems to do is deter legitimate customers.
eonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #27
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonblue View Post
I really don't understand why publishers insist on having alternate forms of DRM in steam games. It clearly has no impact on pirates and it's impossible to re-sell digital games anyway, so it has no effect on the used games market. All it seems to do is deter legitimate customers.

Pretty much.

Let's not forget the infamous Ubisoft DRM that got cracked within weeks while legitimate buyers have to suffer if their internet connection gets a hiccup.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #28
dave75111

This puts me off too.

I have a few games on the EA Store, like Burnout Paradise, which have an installation limit. It has a revoke tool, but I have in the past reinstalled Windows and forgotten to use the revoke tool, so I have lost one of the activations forever. (I realise EA may well give me another one if I do run out, but that isn't the point.)

Steam should explicitly state on the store page, exactly what the deal is with the DRM limit on this game so that I don't have to come to the forums and then read loads of conflicting statements about it!
dave75111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayaSe View Post
Deauthorization tool in the Tool tab.

Big deal.
It is a big deal. I keep all my games installed but if your rig crashes and you don't get a chance to de-authorize you are out one install each time. The tool is worthless then.

I'll be sticking to my 360 version. It's too bad since this is a great game. I would have loved to have it for my PC. Trying to keep track of securom activations though is just too much trouble.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 10-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
Shintuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefar View Post
This would be true.

I'm going to call bull on this... When I got securom snuck in with the borderlands Island of Doctor Ned all of a sudden EVERY game went from taking seconds to open to minutes. FPS even in the non securom games took a hit and that was enough to make some parts of some games unplayable for me... Fact is people hate securom because it does bad things not because it causes simple inconveniences.

edit: also cost steam a sale on this one.
Shintuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum