Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Napoleon: Total War

Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Ivan Turk

Generals

I am finding that I am better off not having a General in my battles. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. I find That they need to be kept way back out of trouble as they can be killed or wounded real quick. They cost a fortune to buy, you can buy 4 companies for the price of one general. The only thing they are good for is to move back into your army after the battle to replenish your losses.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
anye123

Nope. If you use them correctly, they can be very effective.
anye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
italian88

Banned
Yes they can also be set close to the frontline if you plane out the terrain accordingly, for example keep him just behind a hill and your infantry right ontop of the hill and all fire from muskets and cannons will be blocked while able to keep your units within the influence zone, and this also enables you to use his abilities.

Doing that such thing helped me win I was heavily outnumbered. He kept almost the whole line from breaking and rallied some units also.
italian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
darthmangafee

also, it keeps you from having to accept a random leader in a battle (like infantry when all you have is 1 inf unit and 1 cav unit, of course, then I am wondering why you are committing that army in the first place ). But ultimately, it helps with moral, which was a very VERY real factor during those early days (less so later on as singular units had more versatility and were usually self-organized). my opinion
darthmangafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
anye123

Plus if you auto-complete the battle, a well-starred general can win against crazy odds.
anye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Ivan Turk

Generals

I hear what you are all saying, but I just won't spend that amount of money on a general. I would rather have 4 infantry units in my battles than one general that every enemy unit is trying to kill. I only have the Generals I got for nothing at the beginning of the game. I must be doing ok because I have nearly finished the French campaign after only a little over a years fighting. I think I will leave Moscow until I knock off everyone else, otherwise it will be all over. The only pain I have found in this game is the way rogue armies just turn up out of the blue anywhere on the map, forcing me to keep a few armies roaming around europe just to deal with them. Im saving the fight with the poms for last. Can't wait.
Ivan Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
jojoabc123

I don't know how you go without a general.....I never send an army off without one. Major moral boost. Besides at some point don't you make enough money to pick up a general?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Ivan Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoabc123 View Post
I don't know how you go without a general.....I never send an army off without one. Major moral boost. Besides at some point don't you make enough money to pick up a general?
If you dont have a general,then you can have one more unit in your army to fight with,eg 20 instead of 19. It's not as if your Generals unit does any fighting anyway,as you spend most of the battle keeping him well back out of the action so no harm comes to him.
As for moral,I find all the good infantry units fight just as well as if he's there or not.
As for the money you make,I would rather spend it on things like turning a port into a trading port so as to get a 200+ cash payment per turn, or on the best army units.
Thats just my perspective on the way I play the game, I find it works for me.
Ivan Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
darthmangafee

in my opinion, an 'extra' inf unit is useless when it contains a subordinate leader. if you use that unit and the leader dies, then it all goes to crud. of course, if your experience has been different, who am i to argue. though i would recommend bumping up the difficulty for battles (and campaign map) if you are finishing the french campaign in a year. that's almost logistically impossible in my estimation.
darthmangafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
SlyNicolai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Turk View Post
If you dont have a general,then you can have one more unit in your army to fight with,eg 20 instead of 19. It's not as if your Generals unit does any fighting anyway,as you spend most of the battle keeping him well back out of the action so no harm comes to him.
As for moral,I find all the good infantry units fight just as well as if he's there or not.
As for the money you make,I would rather spend it on things like turning a port into a trading port so as to get a 200+ cash payment per turn, or on the best army units.
Thats just my perspective on the way I play the game, I find it works for me.
General actually helps out alot when combined with other units. I would keep him with cavalry though if anything. He inspires the soldiers around him to fight harder. If hes next to artillery the artillery guys should be moving faster to reload and shoot the damn things. Thats just my look on how it should be but mainly your General makes your guys fight harder when they are within his radius. He turns tides of battles too... but becarefull. This is also a PSYCHOLOGICAL THING too haha... it can be reversed on you if you lose your General and your entire army will route if you are playing against an aggressive opponent. The only Army that actually stood up and put up a fight was Napoleons Army. My guys were more vetted too than his army was but his guys were still able to fight off my guys for some reason. My General was a combat vetted too with 3 stars and 3 chevrons. Napoleon had no chevrons but like 10 stars or something haha. I had my General attack him 1 on 1 and my General won but it didnt kill him only wounded him. With him out of the battle his guys didnt lose morale for some ing reason. They fought it out which jarateed me off because in my games my guys never do that and his guys were only 1 chevron and my guys were like 3 chevrons... WTF... I dont know maybe it was just me.
SlyNicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #11
SlyNicolai

If you want to vett up your General... only have him attack routing units till he gets a decent rank before you decide to send him in with other units to fight head on. If he has no rank he will die fast and a really high chance of it too if he goes into combat like that. Your not suppose to send your General head on into a battle anyways but I dont care hahaha. My Army is going to be a bad and OFFICERS SET EXAMPLE FOR THE MEN BELOW THEM.

Usually I just pick a nice hill for my General to watch the battle go out. Then when everyones routed have him jump in and go after the stragglers.

And yes... having a General matters. I havent tested this out yet but if a Gernal has more stars than your General is it easier for him to rout your men? I dont know... I dont think it is. Im not for sure what exactly they programed the stars to all do in the game yet. If you can get the enemy to rout they will lose.
SlyNicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
browncg2

Not an attacking unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Turk View Post
I am finding that I am better off not having a General in my battles. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. I find That they need to be kept way back out of trouble as they can be killed or wounded real quick. They cost a fortune to buy, you can buy 4 companies for the price of one general. The only thing they are good for is to move back into your army after the battle to replenish your losses.
If you use the general in combat, then that means you are taking a huge gamble. You risk giving up all the bonuses that the general provides your entire army for the attacking power of 24 horsemen.

Bonuses include increased campaign map movement speed, free morale boost within his radius, personal traits that buff the army, free replenishment, the ability to see where an enemy sets up their units- such as cannon- on the battlefield (assuming your general is higher ranking), the rally ability which greatly improves the morale of any units within his radius, the inspire ability which improves all of the factors of a units abililites (reload time, accuracy, morale). Having a high star general is the sign of a successul army with many victories. If your generals die a lot then you will never have one.
browncg2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Napoleon: Total War