Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DeathSpank

Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
pananag

it won't run on my PC!

Just bought it for the PC.

But it won't run.

When I start the game after a couple of seconds it throws a message:

Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices.

And then a second message:

Graphics adapter must support the following features:
Shader model 2.0 : supported
24bit Depth Buffer: * Not supported *

I'm pretty sure my card supports 24bit Depth buffer (X1950 Pro 256 mb) and I've tried with installing various versions of catalyst drivers.

Is there anybody else who faces similar problem? Is there a solution to it?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Kyzar58

Pananag,

I am having a difficult time finding the answer to your question. I do not own a ATI video card and never have so I do not have any experience with Catalyst. I did however find reference to a option in Catalyst control center called "Force 24-bit Z-Buffer depth"

Try enabling this option if you can find it...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
pananag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzar58 View Post
Pananag,

I am having a difficult time finding the answer to your question. I do not own a ATI video card and never have so I do not have any experience with Catalyst. I did however find reference to a option in Catalyst control center called "Force 24-bit Z-Buffer depth"

Try enabling this option if you can find it...
Hi thanks for the help.

Unfortunately this didn't work. From what I understand this option is for OPENGL and the message I get says that it cannot find a compatible D3D device...

It's frustrating when you can't play a game even if your PC specs are met...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
dbugz

I've got the same video card and experience the same problem.

I've already submitted a support ticket with dxdiag ang msinfo - still awaiting response.

In my personal experience with such game releases which are console ports released for PC due to user/fan/community "pressure" more often than not they are haphazardly done with little regard for compatibility. Next thing that happens is that they dev/publisher will retroactively change the system requirements after the game has been released.

Moreover, a lot of games nowadays seem to have issues with ATI cards even those that have matured in the user base. You would expect to have issues at least with new or recently release cards but it's all the same.

I really hope this gets sorted out. As much as I don't want to sound negative but I have to admit I feel I've wasted money again on a game that doesn't work as expected.
dbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
pananag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbugz View Post
I've got the same video card and experience the same problem.

I've already submitted a support ticket with dxdiag ang msinfo - still awaiting response.

In my personal experience with such game releases which are console ports released for PC due to user/fan/community "pressure" more often than not they are haphazardly done with little regard for compatibility. Next thing that happens is that they dev/publisher will retroactively change the system requirements after the game has been released.

Moreover, a lot of games nowadays seem to have issues with ATI cards even those that have matured in the user base. You would expect to have issues at least with new or recently release cards but it's all the same.

I really hope this gets sorted out. As much as I don't want to sound negative but I have to admit I feel I've wasted money again on a game that doesn't work as expected.
Thank God, I thought I was the only on world with this problem.

I sent an email to both Steam and Hothead.

Let's hope there are some other cases too, so they will take our mails seriously.

Haven't got a receive confirmation mail yet, though.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
eidosk

same problem here. (my card is Radeon X1950 Pro 512 mb)
anybody found a way to get it working???
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
pananag

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidosk View Post
same problem here. (my card is Radeon X1950 Pro 512 mb)
anybody found a way to get it working???
We are already two here (three with you)with the same problem. Send email to Hothead, EA and Steam so they'll know that there are several people having this problem.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
SOTBMP

My brother bought DeathSpank today. He has also Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB & of course the same problem...

ERROR MESSAGE #1: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."

ERROR MESSAGE #2: "Graphics adapter must support the following features:
Shader Model 2.0: Supported
24Bit Depth Buffer: * Not Supported *
"

He can run many new games on this graphics card with high/very high level of detail, so this isn't very old card, is it ?
You can really support it...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
pananag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTBMP View Post
My brother bought DeathSpank today. He has also Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB & of course the same problem...

ERROR MESSAGE #1: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."

ERROR MESSAGE #2: "Graphics adapter must support the following features:
Shader Model 2.0: Supported
24Bit Depth Buffer: * Not Supported *
"

He can run many new games on this graphics card with high/very high level of detail, so this isn't very old card, is it ?
You can really support it...
Now there are four of us.

Good.

Now,we can establish a party of infuriated X1950 owners!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
lindylead

I'm having a similar problem. I have an ATI Radeon HD5870 in my laptop. Runs everything at high detail. When I try to start Deathspank, it crashes to Desktop with no details. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the 24bit depth buffer, but I can't find a way to change it in the Catalyst software for the ATI card.

Soem sort of fix or support from Steam or Hothead would be nice.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
Indigo1

Same problem ... and my video card is an ATI radeon hd 3800 ... Really want to play this game and it just makes me feel like ive been ripped off ... I paid for the game but it wont work even though my PC has the requirements way over for what the game needs to run on m pc ...

Last edited by Indigo1: 10-27-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
pananag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo1 View Post
Same problem ... and my video card is an ATI radeon hd 3800 ... Really want to play this game and it just makes me feel like ive been ripped off ... I paid for the game but it wont work even though my PC has the requirements way over for what the game needs to run on m pc ...
As I've said to others, mail Hothead at support@hotheadgames.com.

They contacted me and said they will look into this issue.

Be sure to include a directX diagnostic in your email. That's what they are asking.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #13
5th

another Radeon X1950 Pro user joining the club!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
mjafyx

I have the same problem with the Radeon X1950 Pro 512 mb.
In catalyst in the opengl setting there is only the option for triple buffering. No force 24-bit Z-buffer depth option.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Hothead

We are working on this one guys. Seems our information from ATI was either incorrect or misinterpreted. The game requires certain hardware functions that turns out some cards support and others don't (despite being newer and theoretically better cards).

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DeathSpank