Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series

Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
cdeathkd

RFG - Common problems and their fixes (please read before making new thread)

RFG Information and problems thread!

Here’s a list of information that might be useful in sorting out many problems you may randomly encounter in RFG. Most of the links are to forum posts where the problem as described was sorted, which is hopefully useful. There’s been a lot of reports of this that and the other, people asking if their machine can run it, and a lot of repeat threads. I can’t re-write all the information here or I’d need to reserve about half a dozen posts. None of this is official advice and please don’t message me asking any technical advice, I’m the messenger not the maker! The information is also added on an “it worked for them…” basis, it’s not guaranteed, but it has worked for some.

"CAN I RUN THIS?"
This is a very common question which gets asked a lot. Don’t tell us what other games you can run, every game is designed differently. System specs will let us answer quite quickly and definitely, so put them in your first post! MAKE SURE to tell us about your CPU(Processor), Memory, Video Card and Operating system at least. This is very relevant if you have a lower end system and are wondering if you can scrape by!

RED FACTION 1 Errors (e.g. "Not enough memory")
  • Go and get the PURE FACTION patch. Which basically, works for most errors and crashes. Basically new hardware came along and widescreen got invented after the original two games stopped getting patched, so fans made their own patch. If you have an RF1 error. This will probably fix it!

RFG-Related Errors

Games For Windows Live (GFWL) Errors

GFWL Error: “Internet IP not Signed in”
GFWL: Constantly updating
GFWL: Other errors
  • If GFWL appears to be working incorrectly, and none of the above helps you or is relevant, go to their forums and post there or search using google! This is better in many ways because sometime this board is not too busy and when an issue arises you'll want it solved pronto! Of course, try a google search first. Their forums are usually pretty busy though, and can be found at:http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/

RFG SPECIFIC ERRORS:

STEAM: Says preparing to launch... but doesn't:
  • This is a known (but rare) steam bug, usually fixed by doing the following:
  • Exit steam completely
  • Go into the steam install folder (usually in program files)
  • Delete the file "ClientRegistery.blob"
  • Restart steam and try again.

CONTROLLER ISSUES
  • Some users have reported problems with 360 controllers not working, or stopping working in RFG. Such users probably already know there is a menu option to set 360 controllers up. If this doesn't work the following two pieces of advise may be useful. First, try unplugging the controller and then plugging it back in. Secondly, if any other control devices are plugged in (racing controllers, flight sim sticks, usb ironing boards) unplug them and try again.
  • If you are using a controller and RFG "freezes up" quite a lot, try playing with the controller disconnected to compare performance.
OPENING CUTSCENE: Aircraft not showing up+Cannot move afterwards:
MASON’S COAT Gliches: (Flaps round like a mental)
  • Try running the game with “-nod3d10”
  • Try running in both fullscreen and window mode.
  • If you have an nvidia card try DISABLING PHYSX
STRANGE SHADOWS around objects/player
  • This has been fixed sometimes by turning off v-sync and/or disabling ambient occlusion.
SOUND STUTTERS/DOESN’T SOUND RIGHT
  • There is a sort of fix whereby you disable surround sound if you normally have it on.
RFG Loads into a black screen which can't be escaped (have to reset PC)
  • It has been reported (on post #16 of this thread) that this is to do with ZoneAlarm, but other virus/internet security packages may have this issue as well. For ZoneAlarm you can try setting it to "game mode" or if that doesn't work or you have another firewall/virus/internet security application, add the rfg.exe file to the list of trusted programs.
Random Crashes, generally bad performance:

Please take the following seriously, you might have a great machine, but with two year old drivers that hardware won’t be running its best. If you're unsure how to follow these instructions do a google search, it will find more detailed instructions! BEFORE posting a message in any forum it would be extremely helpful if you could try the following (and test after everything you try just to see if it worked):
  1. Set graphics settings from the in-game menu, turn everything off and turn the resolution to its lowest setting.
  2. Launch the game with “–nod3d10” launch parameter/command line.
  3. Right click the game shortcut (on your desktop, or on the EXE directly) and try running in all compatibility modes.
  4. If the game is in steam, re-start steam.
  5. If there is still a problem try restarting the computer, it’s just possible installation needed a reboot and forgot to tell you
  6. Try running it as administrator (if in windows vista or windows 7)
  7. If in Vista or 7 try turning off windows UAC from the control panel.
  8. Perhaps GFWL didn’t install the two patches correctly, download from these links, and run these installers as administrator!:
  9. http://community.redfaction.com/forums/topic/6840
  10. http://community.redfaction.com/forums/topic/7898
  11. Check for new drivers for all of your hardware.
  12. Last of all try GOOGLE the issue, if it’s a big issue, google will suggest it!

BEFORE STARTING A THREAD
  • If none of the above solves your problem, then OK it’s probably time to post. Whichever forum you go to, to avoid getting bashed because the question has already been asked 50 times this week, do a quick forum search using a keyword like “crash” or “graphics problems” or “stuttering”.
  • When you do post, give us as much info about the error as possible don’t just put “game crashes plz help k thx”. Post your system specs or even better, run DXDIAG and save all the information from it into a txt file and then post that with your message too.
  • Please don’t just tell us your system can run this game or that game or “my system should be good enough to run” without system specs for us to check that on, you’re wasting not only our time, but your own!
  • Sound grown up! Take more than ten seconds to compose your message. Don’t post an angry or swearing-filled message, that does nothing and might make people not want to offer problem solving advice for fear that you’ll just go “shut up fool, I’ve tried that!”. So with your post, tell us your system specs, and tell us what steps you’ve taken, so we don’t tell you to do things you’ve already done!

And lastly if theres any solution not given here which you think should be added, post the problem AND the solution (this is not a bug report thread!). Or post if this information also helped you (that way it stays on the front page of the forums where it can be seen!)

Last edited by cdeathkd: 05-18-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
cdeathkd

[reserved for expansion]
cdeathkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
NebulaMods-digi

Bumping this thread as it's useful.

For the record, Pure Faction has no effect on RF2. You can check our Steam RF/RF2 FAQ here: http://nebulamods.com/rf/steam/
Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
BlueFlash

This needs to be stickied or something. It took me a good 45 minutes to find it and it's the only thread I saw with info on the GFWL update loop.
BlueFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
cdeathkd

I'm not sure how i'd get this stickied, but would just like to re-iterate if this solved an issue or helped in any way do post here as it bumps it.

And if you think i should add something to the OP that you tried let me know!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
tunguska47

u forgot to add when playing online match making rage quits

forcing u to make a party lobby which runs better/smoother
tunguska47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
cdeathkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska47 View Post
u forgot to add when playing online match making rage quits

forcing u to make a party lobby which runs better/smoother
I'd be happy to add it but i don't know what you're talking about! I never played RFG in multiplayer so please explain the problem and solution a little better and i'll see if it can be added. Also please use a little punctuation plz!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
binarycoder

Ok, some things were fixed here, all but one. I updated windows live, logged in, waited forever for the patch to install, then rebooted my computer. now, whenever I try to run the game, the steam "launch diolouge" flashes, then nothing happens. I can fun other games, but not this one.
binarycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
TormDK

Did they fix the issue where the speed of the game would either be faster, or slower depending on your CPU's Mhz?
TormDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Gogetenkz

Do you think I would be able to run RFG with this laptop?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114384
Gogetenkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
tet5uo

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TormDK View Post
Did they fix the issue where the speed of the game would either be faster, or slower depending on your CPU's Mhz?
lol wow. That still happens?

Brings me back to the old days when you had to hit the "turbo" button on the front of your pentium to make it slower so dos games wouldn't run too fast
tet5uo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
TormDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
lol wow. That still happens?

Brings me back to the old days when you had to hit the "turbo" button on the front of your pentium to make it slower so dos games wouldn't run too fast
Yeah, it was a console port. Apparently if you don't have a 3.2ghz cpu doing the work for you your game will either be slower, or faster than intended.
TormDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
AlienSpaceBats

Apparently attempting to launch Red Faction: Guerilla commonly results in a blank/black screen that can't be escaped via alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del (necessitating a hard restart). I bought RFG today and spent an afternoon trying to get it to work. The culprit turned out to be ZoneAlarm - switching it to Game Mode or giving the game .exe 'trusted' access in ZA's program control fixes this.

Thought there might be someone else who bought it in the sale and is having the same issue!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
tet5uo

Banned
It's too bad that games that are so awesome and have so much potential are marred by shoddy, rushed port-jobs.

I miss the days when they made games on the PC first then ported to consoles after. (Capcom still does this , at least)
tet5uo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #15
YourAverageJoe

I had a thing where after around a minute of playing or so, my game would freeze up. For some reason, disconnecting my gamepad fixed it, and I could reconnect it and the game would run just fine after that. It's a pain I have to do it every time I start up the game, though.
YourAverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Faction series