Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Shank

Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Neuromante

I will NOT buy Shank. Why? DRM

I will explain a bit here, but the tl;dr is in the thread title. First of all, sorry for my bad english

I bought Eets in one of the steam sales. I played it I enjoyed it, I made a friend bought it too because it was worth it. The main character was adorable, the ideas were great... just a great game with a great concept and a great execution.

I looked a bit in the webpage, and notice that the guys at Kiei were working in a new title. I added the news rss to my reader and began to eat every single bit of information until I got too much info. Then, I deleted the feed and waited for the release date on PC.

So it came, and I went to the Steam page and saw the happy EA DRM notice. 20 activations. You can be revoked (as other user pointed here) anytime for playing. The game YOU BOUGHT. You are treated worst than a pirate user. That's just ridiculous.
And you already have the Steam DRM, wich is pretty effective. You get TWO drm's for the price of ONE!

That's not a "cry some more" post, but a message to the developers, wich maybe read it and think about it. There's no real reason to include MORE DRM's to an already DRM-based system but lost sales, and blame piracy for it.
And its a shame small devs like Kiei are getting into this nonsensical strategy, maybe (I hope) by EA mandate.

Sorry kiei. I wanted to buy your game, but I will not buy it with this DRM. Not now, not for 2 bucks in a sale.

Last edited by Neuromante: 10-27-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
GSus4

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromante View Post
So it came, and I went to the Steam page and saw the happy EA DRM notice. 20 activations. You can be revoked (as other user pointed here) anytime for playing. The game YOU BOUGHT. You are treated worst than a pirate user. That's just ridiculous.
Well, I bought the game, and IF I will lose the option of reinstalling it via Steam, I WILL pirate it, as I see that it is my right to play the game I bought already. The best bits: The pirated game would not be having the DRM (and yes, I believe that some people will do the crack just for the sake of challenge of braking the DRM, so it IS actually only a nuisance to the paying customers).

Actually, it starts to seem a brilliant idea of rather pirating the games, than buying them: Free of charge and of DRM... I recon the main thing for piratism at the time of Amiga was that the games were so damn difficult for average gamer that the cracked games were better choice because of the "cheats" that made the games more reasonable to beat, and therefore, more enjoyable. Will the DRM be the reason for this generation, is left to be seen...
GSus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Asylums_Patient

I can only help but wonder if the DRM is the reason I'm having trouble with this game.
Asylums_Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
luciferosX

Peeps at Steam really need to flex their muscle more. 20 activations in a Steam game is not tolerable.

So 20 activations will be used up at some point, what happens then? Yet another game that can eventually be dead in your library?

Nah, this is uncalled for. Get some balls, people--stand up for your customers' rights. Just tell them there won't be any limited activations or installs. "Up to the publisher/company" isn't a worthy response.

Just tell them no.
luciferosX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
GSus4

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciferosX View Post
Peeps at Steam really need to flex their muscle more. 20 activations in a Steam game is not tolerable.

So 20 activations will be used up at some point, what happens then? Yet another game that can eventually be dead in your library?

Nah, this is uncalled for. Get some balls, people--stand up for your customers' rights. Just tell them there won't be any limited activations or installs. "Up to the publisher/company" isn't a worthy response.

Just tell them no.
Actually, I don't believe the 20 activation should be needed. Only one should be enough: The Steam activation.
GSus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
- Ğanse -

DRM? Shame, no purchase.

Next ...
- Ğanse - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
JamesMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciferosX View Post

Just tell them no.
Now i am not saying this is a good thing to have 2 layers of DRM but they do actually are giving more freedom then you guys think.

from the store page.
Quote:
GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO TWENTY COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/
This means you can install it on 20 computers at once then move it, delete it or etc. so its not like install it 20 times then you are screwed.

Also I would like to add that its not usually the devs that say to add drm its the publishers. devs, specially indie devs have little to do with it.

edit: again not saying EA or DRM is a good thing, but this game is worth buying.
JamesMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
FailSquad69

another case of people overreacting and not being able to read. "GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO TWENTY COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME". when you uninstall it revokes an activation. it doesn't mean after 20 activations its gone and thats it. you'll never notice the drm.
FailSquad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
kikogotskill

Well but I not want install my game on 20 PC'S at the same time , what happen when I unistall and install my game 20 on my PC (MY steam account ?)
Shank be dead in my library or what? dude this DRM is so confused..
kikogotskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
iceburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikogotskill View Post
Well but I not want install my game on 20 PC'S at the same time , what happen when I unistall and install my game 20 on my PC (MY steam account ?)
Shank be dead in my library or what? dude this DRM is so confused..
nothing. it's only 1 activation for that pc. however, if your HD crashes and you aren't able to deauthorize the install, that may use up an activation.
iceburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
KyrenCross

I don't know what's the big deal. I bought it and enjoyed the game and come to this forum to check why the loading time is so fraking long and saw this DRM thread which you won't notice at all in game.
You can't have 20 hardrive crashes in a year, and if you want to share it with 20 of your friends, then tell them to uninstall it after they are done with it. But it's highly unlikely to share it with 20 friends so >_<.

Also I can see this game has not been pirated yet so pirates everywhere are raging why not. I'm not saying people here complaining are pirates, I'm just stating that if I'm a pirate, I would rage to.
But luckily I'm not ^_^

Oh check out some Coop gameplay. My cousin and I tried it and we had a blast fighting Bosses. Figuring out how to defeat them is fun and frustrating at the same time. We laughed out loud through the whole process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYV9YGgOE1A

Last edited by KyrenCross: 10-27-2010 at 11:31 AM.
KyrenCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
sifla

just played through it and didnt get a single message about activaions or drm, what are you guys talking about?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Neuromante

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMichael View Post
Now i am not saying this is a good thing to have 2 layers of DRM but they do actually are giving more freedom then you guys think.

from the store page.

This means you can install it on 20 computers at once then move it, delete it or etc. so its not like install it 20 times then you are screwed.

Also I would like to add that its not usually the devs that say to add drm its the publishers. devs, specially indie devs have little to do with it.

edit: again not saying EA or DRM is a good thing, but this game is worth buying.
Answer split in three parts:
1-> Yeah, theyr'e maybe giving you "more freedom than you think", but the point its "normal Steam games" gives you even more freedom. Having a "death countdown" in a game isn't funny.
2-> About the publisher thing, that's why I was directing this message to the devs. EA will not give a darn about it, but maybe the publishers, a small studio, will get in touch with the user community and understand there are more, better ways to deal with this stuff.
3-> The point of all of this its that yes, the game it's worth buying, but the product isn't. A game its the game AND how its sold, the product. If your way to sold stuff sucks, then the people will not buy it and will not be able to try the game. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrenCross View Post
You can't have 20 hardrive crashes in a year, and if you want to share it with 20 of your friends, then tell them to uninstall it after they are done with it. But it's highly unlikely to share it with 20 friends so >_<.
Yeah, but lets expand the lapse of time. Lets say, for instance, 5 years. What about if, for some reason, the revoke utility stops working. What if something really "bad" happens. Then I got the game and I'm screwed.
Now add that, for instance, I have three computers where I use to play (Home, work, weekend house).
You can't base your argument in "there will never happen", because if you think the users will don't do something, they WILL do. Its the rule number one in software engineering. True story. Or even if you are thinking "thats higly unlikely", well, maybe it will happen.

Quote:
If you rage, then you are a pirate, but no.
Oookay. Now please move along, citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifla View Post
just played through it and didnt get a single message about activaions or drm, what are you guys talking about?
See the enormous capital letters at the bottom of the steam page. Read 'em. Its everything there. And in several places in the thread xD.

Last edited by Neuromante: 10-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Neuromante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Darksider1972

Reading Comprehension 101

GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO TWENTY COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME
; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/

Does not mean you have 20 times to install the game then kaput.
Darksider1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
the_preacher_de

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSquad69 View Post
another case of people overreacting and not being able to read. "GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO TWENTY COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME". when you uninstall it revokes an activation. it doesn't mean after 20 activations its gone and thats it. you'll never notice the drm.
"EA KANN DEN ONLINE-SERVICE 30 TAGE NACH EINER ANKÜNDIGUNG AUF www.ea.com/2/service-updates EINSTELLEN."

"EA may terminate the online service 30 days after an announcement on "www.ea.com/2/service-updates."

Hmm...
the_preacher_de is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Shank