Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
rp799778

Civ 5 wont start for me

So this problem has been going on for me for a little while now. My computer is above the specifications and the game used to work but now it wont.

The problem is everytime i try to launch Civ 5 a screen in the Steam interface comes up saying "preparing to launch Civ 5". After this a pop up from the civ 5 interface comes up saying "Select desired verison to play. then on the next line saying right click an option to create a desktop short cut" The 2 options following are Civ 5 directx 9 followed by Civ5 directx 10 & 11(recommended)"

I have done everything. Reinstalled the game and steam. Reinstalled all my drivers and directx.

Now the only problem that i can see is that when i verify my integrity of my game cache it says one files failed to validate and will be reacquired. Again as i have said i have been doin this for a few days nothing seems to work.

Has anyone had this problem/Can anyone help? Im looking at you steam to fix this.

Specs
Intel quad 2 core @2.5 GHz
6gigs of ram
64 bit
Windows 7
Ati radeon 4350

Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
rp799778

Also this file that was supposed to be reacquired has yet to do so for 2 days now and counting.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Molotov Slacker

Still catching up on all the post patch threads noticed there are several of these, have you tried the steps here http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1440616 pertaining to validating your files?

10# Civilization V Failed to Launch

If you have tried launching the game after installation and nothing happens, any error occurs, you can try these workarounds to fix the launch issues of the game
1. Restart Steam.
2. Restart Computer.
3. Go the folder and launch the application directly.
4. Validate integrity of game cache.
If that Doesn’t work, try this.
Go the folder in your steam index/common/civilization v
delete the Type. file “srcds_run” and then re-validate the integrity of game cache.

Last edited by Molotov Slacker: 10-28-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add info
Molotov Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
rp799778

Molotv slacker is this what you are talking about
" Civilization V Failed to Launch

If you have tried launching the game after installation and nothing happens, any error occurs, you can try these workarounds to fix the launch issues of the game
1. Restart Steam.
2. Restart Computer.
3. Go the folder and launch the application directly.
4. Validate integrity of game cache.
If that Doesn’t work, try this.
Go the folder in your steam index/common/civilization v
delete the Type. file “srcds_run” and then re-validate the integrity of game cache"

The second part of the validate the integrity of the game cache. The " Go the folder in your steam index/common/civilization v
delete the Type. file “srcds_run” and then re-validate the integrity of game cache" is a bit confusing. If you could explain this a little better it would much appreciated. If this is what you have been talking about
Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Molotov Slacker

Yes that was the bit, reading over on 2k forums there is an issue with a folder not being properly created under My Documents- My Games- Civ 5 also, see if that folder is there if not they have some registry tweaks that will fix it.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
rp799778

just looked that file is not there. Where are these registry tweaks that can fix this
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Molotov Slacker

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95060 that was the missing Civ 5 folder thread I was reading.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Molotov Slacker

Sorry missed that 2nd part, yes after looking at this I don't see the file they are talking about either. Will look little further but break is about over might have to wait until I get home from work as the boss is lurking about today
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
rp799778

Thanks. I tried going the 2k link you said followed there intructions and again nothing. I also continued looking for that file yet with no success. If you happen to find something that might work, i will prob try about anything. Once again thank you this is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Molotov Slacker

Go into steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization v look at the exe file see what version you are running it should be 1.0.0.62 (hover over or show the details). If you have a file not verifying it might be your update can't run due to security restrictions from the OS or steam needs to be set to allow it to update the game. Thought I had on the way home, will dig around the forums little more see what else I can come up with. Also before the patch there was some discussion on ATI drivers needing to be rolled back for some not all video cards the latest caused problems.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
rp799778

sry was real busy the past few days. Checked it running the most up to date version. There is no more civ 5 file in my "my games folder" in my documents. Dont know where that went. That file has still not validated is still yet to be reacquired. I have sent messages to steam, firaxis and 2k but the only one to even respond to me was 2k and they have a clue what is going on. They just wanted to see my dxdiag, which i know is running fine and if i validated my data.

Also about that other link you sent me about the missing civ5 folder, didnt work. so again im clueless and its as well as the developers
Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
TheRealJappy

Hi. I finally got Civ5 to run on my computer after not being able to play it after the patch. Not sure if we have the same problem but I disabled the Steam community in-game and it worked.

Hope this solves your problem as well.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:20 AM   #13
Molotov Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp799778 View Post
sry was real busy the past few days. Checked it running the most up to date version. There is no more civ 5 file in my "my games folder" in my documents. Dont know where that went. That file has still not validated is still yet to be reacquired. I have sent messages to steam, firaxis and 2k but the only one to even respond to me was 2k and they have a clue what is going on. They just wanted to see my dxdiag, which i know is running fine and if i validated my data.

Also about that other link you sent me about the missing civ5 folder, didnt work. so again im clueless and its as well as the developers
If you don't have a Civ 5 folder (or other close approximate of a name) located in C:\users\(your user name)\My Documents\My Games\(civ 5 folder should be here) then you likely have a problem with the games permissions under win7, you need to change the permissions to admin most likely so it can write that directory (though being your local it shouldn't matter). Adjust your permissions and see if that helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
rp799778

Molotov thank you for all your help. Realjappy it worked. Thank you. When it worked again it created the folder in mydoc/mygames. Again thank you molotov. I just happen to find it funny that disabling steam community in game would work.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Molotov Slacker

Will keep a note on this and see if we can get it added to the sticky. Good luck with the game

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series