Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Everyday Genius: SquareLogic

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
mkey

Thumbs up Restoring Lost Progress

Pretty much what the title says. It used to work OK a few days ago (sometime last week), but now it's not even trying to sync my progress.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
cwangersky

cwangersky note: This is a similar problem, not quite the same as what we are now facing. Ken's instructions mostly apply here, though. I have edited them to reflect the new situation. If you have not yet run Everyday Genius: Square Logic, and want to prevent the progress loss we talk about here, see the end of this message.

(This is Ken from TrueThought--the creators of SquareLogic. This is a long post with instructions on how to restore your missing progress.)

You might be able to just fix this yourself. However, if that doesn't work, the fallback will be to send your data to us (squarelogic at truethought.com) and we'll rebuild it from the stats you have online. That takes a little while, but we can put it all back together.

Steps to fix the problem:

1) Locate your Steam userdata folder. This is typically in C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata. It will be the userdata folder wherever you have Steam installed.

2) Determine if you have 1 or more accounts. In userdata is a folder for each Steam account that has logged in on this machine. Each directory name corresponds to the account number for that user (like 23904234). It is very difficult to determine what your account number is, so if there is more than 1 directory, it can be difficult to tell which one is yours. You'll have to do the next steps for all accounts. If you're the only user, there will be a single directory.

3) Go into the account directory, and locate the 32150 folder within it. 32150 is the Game ID for Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. If the account doesn't have this folder, then that account hasn't played SquareLogic.

4) Go into the remote folder. This is where the Cloud data is stored before it is sent to the Cloud service, or after it has been pulled down by the Cloud service.

5) Copy the steamuser.playerprofile file to some other spot on your hard drive for safekeeping (you can even drag it to your desktop). Don't worry too much about the size of the file. We did a lot of work to try to compress it as much as possible, so even if it is tiny, you still might have solved 17,746 puzzles. Remember this directory.

Note: If you had multiple accounts that all had a 32150 folder, you could also check the timestamps on the steamuser.playerprofile file of each of them to determine which account is most-likely yours. If you're still not sure, you can copy them all off.

6) Run the Steam program (log in as normal - this may be automatic), but do not run the SquareLogic game itself.

7) Under the "Steam" menu item (the very top-left-most menu item), choose "Go Offline". Confirm by selecting "Restart in offline mode".

8) After Steam restarts in offline mode, choose "Exit" from the same "Steam" menu to shut down Steam completely.

9) Copy your saved steamuser.playerprofile into the 32159 folder. (Probably C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\<your account number>\32159\remote\steamuser.playerprofile.) This is the key step: note that you are copying the data to a different folder than you got it from. This ensures that we have what we hope is the right data. It may have already been overwritten, but this is the safest approach.

10) Run Steam again. If it asks you to "Go Online" or "Start in Offline Mode", choose "Start in Offline Mode". This is critical, you must stay in Offline Mode for this to work.

11) Run SquareLogic. Hopefully you see your progress. Start 1 additional puzzle (make at least 1 move). (If you don't see your progress, don't despair, we can fix it the hard way by having us reconstruct it--see above.)

12: Quit SquareLogic. This will write out your saved game data with a new timestamp so that Steam's Cloud service thinks it is more important than what's up on Cloud.

13) Go to your Steam window and select "Go Online" from the "Steam" menu item at the top-left.

14) Run SquareLogic - everything should now be fine!

Please let us know if that fixes it. If it does, great. If it doesn't, then just send us that steamuser.playerprofile file and we'll work with you to rebuild it. Takes us a little bit of time but we can usually resolve it in a matter of a few days.

If you have not yet run Everyday Genius: Square Logic and want to prevent the loss from happening when you do run it, the process may be a lot simpler.

1) Locate your Steam userdata folder. This is typically in C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata. It will be the userdata folder wherever you have Steam installed.

2) Determine if you have 1 or more accounts. In userdata is a folder for each Steam account that has logged in on this machine. Each directory name corresponds to the account number for that user (like 23904234). It is very difficult to determine what your account number is, so if there is more than 1 directory, it can be difficult to tell which one is yours. You'll have to do the next steps for all accounts. If you're the only user, there will be a single directory.

3) Go into the account directory, and locate the 32150 folder within it. 32150 is the old Game ID for Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. If the account doesn't have this folder, then that account hasn't played SquareLogic.

4) Go into the remote folder. This is where the Cloud data is stored before it is sent to the Cloud service, or after it has been pulled down by the Cloud service.

5) Copy the steamuser.playerprofile file to some other spot on your hard drive for safekeeping (you can even drag it to your desktop). Don't worry too much about the size of the file. We did a lot of work to try to compress it as much as possible, so even if it is tiny, you still might have solved 17,746 puzzles. Remember this directory.

Note: If you had multiple accounts that all had a 32150 folder, you could also check the timestamps on the steamuser.playerprofile file of each of them to determine which account is most-likely yours. If you're still not sure, you can copy them all off.

6) In the account directory, locate the 32159 folder. This is the new game ID for Everyday Genius: Square Logic, and may contain your demo progress. Copy the steamuser.playerprofile file that you saved from the 32150\remote folder into the 32159\remote folder.

That should have it. Remember where you saved the 32150 version, just in case this doesn't work and you need to do it the hard way.

Last edited by cwangersky: 11-06-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added simpler instructions for those who haven't yet lost progress
cwangersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
mkey

Reboot? You mean the OS? Both machines have been restarted a few times in the meantime and it still isn't working, I never leave any of my PC's on unattended.

Like I said, you can see the sync process when you close the game session in the games list, but now there is nothing going on there.
mkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Joao_Bernardino

try 2 things:

1st - in Steam App, right click on the game, go to Local Files and Verify Integrity of Game Cache

2nd - if 1 doesn't work, try deleting you local information cache (**WARNING - you will lose any progress made since last sync with steam online). It's usually located in C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxxx\32150

xxxxxxxx is your steam ID account
Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
mkey

Well, upon reinstallation and deleting the cache it synced back to the state it was, but on my other PC I hade made more progress.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
eXodL

Way to ing go VALVE... just got my progress wiped with the last steam update. Just ing great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamUpdate
Fix Steam Cloud bug where users who converted from the demo to the full version of Everyday Genius: SquareLogic would have their progress reverted to the progress they made in the demo while opted into the beta
If that's the way VALVE is dealing with fixes, i'm not surprised Left4Dead still receives updates after 3 years from release (at least they're trying). Everything was perfect before this update, now, instead of fixing the problem, just made it worse.

I hope i'm the only unlucky one that got screwed by Steam Cloud fixed bug.
eXodL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
cwangersky

You are not. I just seem to have lost 418 hours worth.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
mkey

418? Well, that's enough to stage a bombing run.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
ReubenF

Valve
If your progress has been reverted, your data is likely NOT lost.

EDIT: cwangersky has posted better steps a few posts below, located here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1&postcount=13

I've deleted my instructions since cwangersky's are better.
ReubenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
cwangersky

Simply copying files across will not be enough if you have run Everyday Logic and lost your progress. The Cloud files will be newer, in that case, and will overwrite your saved files.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
eXodL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwangersky View Post
Simply copying files across will not be enough if you have run Everyday Logic and lost your progress. The Cloud files will be newer, in that case, and will overwrite your saved files.
Not exactly. I think Cloud doesn't overwrite anything in folder "32150", it only makes a new one "32159", which means if you move everything from "32150" to "32159" it would make Cloud to synchronize again with the new data and should work. The only problem is that it takes forever to synchronize, i'm not really sure it is synchronizing.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
cwangersky

You are correct, it overwrites 32159. The problem is that if you have run Everyday Logic, the saved, empty progress folders in 32159 have gone to the Cloud and are newer than your old, active folders in 32150. If you simply copy the folders across, the re-sync will restore the empty, newer 32159 folders over your copies, losing them again.

There is a way to recover; let me see if I can find kharward's message.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
cwangersky

From KHarward: recovery instructions

cwangersky note: This is a similar problem, not quite the same as what we are now facing. Ken's instructions mostly apply here, though. I have edited them to reflect the new situation.

(This is Ken from TrueThought--the creators of SquareLogic. This is a long post with instructions on how to restore your missing progress.)

You might be able to just fix this yourself. However, if that doesn't work, the fallback will be to send your data to us (squarelogic at truethought.com) and we'll rebuild it from the stats you have online. That takes a little while, but we can put it all back together.

Steps to fix the problem:

3) Go into the account directory, and locate the 32150 folder within it. 32150 is the Game ID for Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. If the account doesn't have this folder, then that account hasn't played SquareLogic.

6) Run the Steam program (log in as normal - this may be automatic), but do not run the SquareLogic game itself.

7) Under the "Steam" menu item (the very top-left-most menu item), choose "Go Offline". Confirm by selecting "Restart in offline mode".

8) After Steam restarts in offline mode, choose "Exit" from the same "Steam" menu to shut down Steam completely.

9) Copy your saved steamuser.playerprofile into the 32159 folder. (Probably C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\<your account number>\32159\remote\steamuser.playerprofile.) This ensures that we have what we hope is the right data. It may have already been overwritten, but this is the safest approach.

10) Run Steam again. If it asks you to "Go Online" or "Start in Offline Mode", choose "Start in Offline Mode". This is critical, you must stay in Offline Mode for this to work.

11) Run SquareLogic. Hopefully you see your progress. Start 1 additional puzzle (make at least 1 move). (If you don't see your progress, don't despair, we can fix it the hard way by having us reconstruct it--see above.)

12: Quit SquareLogic. This will write out your saved game data with a new timestamp so that Steam's Cloud service thinks it is more important than what's up on Cloud.

13) Go to your Steam window and select "Go Online" from the "Steam" menu item at the top-left.

14) Run SquareLogic - everything should now be fine!

Please let us know if that fixes it. If it does, great. If it doesn't, then just send us that steamuser.playerprofile file and we'll work with you to rebuild it. Takes us a little bit of time but we can usually resolve it in a matter of a few days.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
ReubenF

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwangersky View Post
You are correct, it overwrites 32159. The problem is that if you have run Everyday Logic, the saved, empty progress folders in 32159 have gone to the Cloud and are newer than your old, active folders in 32150. If you simply copy the folders across, the re-sync will restore the empty, newer 32159 folders over your copies, losing them again.

There is a way to recover; let me see if I can find kharward's message.
Deleting remotecache.vdf before launching the game should fix this, I've updated the instructions to include that as a step.

The instructions you gave from Ken look good as well.
ReubenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
eXodL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenF View Post
Finally, in order to force Steam Cloud to use your local files, delete the file:

c:\program files\Steam\userdata\<your steam id>\32159\remotecache.vdf

Now launch the game. If Steam Cloud then asks you whether you want your local files or the files stored in cloud, tell it you want your local files.

If you are still seeing issues, either with cloud sync'ing or with lost progress, please contact customer support.
That doesn't work either. Cloud overwrites the old steamuser.playerprofile with the new one, it doesn't want to sync the local data.

PS: Ken instructions worked.

Last edited by eXodL: 11-04-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Everyday Genius: SquareLogic