Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
smolderas

Trine won't start on MACOSX

Hallo all,

I just buyed Trine and downloaded to my MacOSX 10.6.4. And it directly crashes. After I click, I can change the game settings, and whatever I choose, it crashes.

I have a Macbook Pro with 8600m gt(512mb), core 2 duo 2.5ghz(penryn) and 4gb ram(667mhz).

I hope it's a small issue, that can be fixed, because I loved the demo(windows).
I'm also creating a support ticket for it.

Did you have similar problem?

Edit:

It seems there is a fix for these problem until the official patch.

cd "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/trine/trine.app/Contents/Framework/Cg.Framework"
mv Cg Cg.old
mv Headers Headers.old
mv Resources Resources.old
cd Versions/1.0
cp Cg ../../Cg
cp -R Headers ../../Headers
cp -R Resources ../../Resources

Last edited by smolderas: 11-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
montlebalm

I've got the same issue. No matter what my config settings are I get the "Trine cannot be opened because of a problem" screen.

Already tried clearing local files and redownloading. No luck.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
smolderas

Quote:
Originally Posted by montlebalm View Post
I've got the same issue. No matter what my config settings are I get the "Trine cannot be opened because of a problem" screen.

Already tried clearing local files and redownloading. No luck.
Well it seems, they didn't test their game fully (need any beta tester???)

It's not a good start for a game actually...(I hope it works on windows, at least I can play it on my bootcamp, until it get fixed.)
smolderas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
derrman0426

They had a beta test...
derrman0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
shinratdr

Same here, "Trine cannot be opened because of a problem". An odd error, tells you to check with the dev to see if it's made for this version of OS X. Was it designed for Leopard only or something? I also have 10.6.4.

If you check out the beta tester thread they put up, multiple testers mentioned this but nobody bothered to follow up with them or fix it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1538278

I'm happy someone with a normal Mac is having this issue, because I have a Mac Pro with a reflashed 4870 and people jump to blame that. Every other game I have in Steam for Mac runs fine, which includes Torchlight.

Just for posterity, I also tried lowering & raising the settings, verifying the cache and re downloading he game. No dice.
shinratdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
smolderas

Here is the mail, I recieved from frozenbyte. I think we must wait until tomorrow.

Hi XXXX,

Sorry to hear about the problem. So the game crashes right after you click Launch on the Launcher, even before any videos?

The programmers have left the office now but I hope I'll be able to help you more tomorrow, so I'll be back in touch...

Best,
Joel
Frozenbyte team
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
montlebalm

Not to sound cruel, but I'm glad you guys are seeing the same thing. The more ubiquitous it is the more you'd think we'll be able to get a speedy resolution.

It's funny to see these kinds of problems on the Mac. There are so few configurations to test for that we don't normally get errors like this.

I'll post back with any new info from support.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
MP2009

Same issue here on a Mac Pro 2009 with Radeon 4870, Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Looking at the crash log there is something wrong with a library file:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Framework/Cg.framework/Cg
Referenced from: /Steam Content/common/trine/trine.app/Contents/MacOS/trine
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Steam Content/common/trine/trine.app/Contents/MacOS/../Framework/Cg.framework/Cg: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x56 0x65 0x72 0x73 0x69 0x6F 0x6E 0x73
/Steam Content/common/trine/trine.app/Contents/MacOS/../Framework/Cg.framework/Cg: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x56 0x65 0x72 0x73 0x69 0x6F 0x6E 0x73

(note file paths edited to shorten)
MP2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
smolderas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2009 View Post
Same issue here on a Mac Pro 2009 with Radeon 4870, Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Looking at the crash log there is something wrong with a library file:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Framework/Cg.framework/Cg
Referenced from: /Steam Content/common/trine/trine.app/Contents/MacOS/trine
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

(note file paths edited to shorten)
even if we put the correct framework files in the correct places, it won't work. The game needs to be compiled again.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
hsthompson

Same problem here - guess we all get to wait for an update.
hsthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Hi guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here, and let me start off by saying how sorry we are that this is happening. We're totally stumped on the reasons why, but since it's happening to so many people, it has to be something we can solve one way or another quite fast (e.g. tomorrow)... It works fine on our test Macs at the office - no idea why because we're using the same public Steam version as everyone else (we also had some trouble downloading at one point but that got fixed). We thought the problems were related to the beta test codes we gave out... Apparently not.

So hopefully we'll have things sorted out tomorrow. Very sorry for this.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Entegy

Hey Joel, I'm one of the guys that got a test code last week. Trine no longer works on my Mac. The download will not complete, barring me from launching the app. I downloaded it on my Windows desktop and it works fine, but my save file was not pulled from the cloud. In fact, looking at Trine's Steam cloud usage, it's at 0 bytes. The game has been officially released now? That's a little scary as there are clearly some problems. It's a shame, because I was having lots of fun with the game...
Entegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
rhinosaurus

Bleh, getting same problem.

Unfortunate, was looking forward to an hour or so
rhinosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Entegy, yeah that's the weird issue that was reported and also experienced by us. I think that's related to the beta codes one way or another - everyone else is able to complete the download but the game just won't launch. (I think there's something wrong with Steam Cloud Mac/PC too and we'll look into that tomorrow as well.)

It's a bit annoying that we actually did our best user testing for the Mac version, got lots of information and fixed many bugs, and then this happens... When I left the office today I did a final test on my personal account and re-downloaded the Mac version of Trine and tested it, and it was fine. But since this Mac was also our main development computer, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if it behaved a little differently, even when using a different Mac user and Steam account...

I'll update as soon as I have more info.

Last edited by JoelFB: 11-02-2010 at 05:02 PM.
JoelFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
Entegy

Good to hear. Hope the fix is simple and looking forward to playing Trine on my laptop again!
Entegy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games